Apr 27, 2024, 07:27 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

CRT Deflection Yoke

Started by galacticprobe, Nov 10, 2012, 06:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Nov 10, 2012, 06:29 am Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 09:46 pm by Scarfwearer
I think the part ID'd as a CRT deflection yoke was covered in this thread here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2634.msg41252#msg41252 (my post, about a third of the way down the page, first paragraph). Here's a close-up of the one on the console panel and there is no mistaking it.
Yoke-Keypads01.jpg

Yoke-Keypads02.jpg
(Images courtesy of Kingpin.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type55tardis

Yes your right on that one Dino ,look at all that lovely copper ,I've stripped many a one of those down for the copper and weighed it in as scrap.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

type55tardis

And to the right of it is what is known in the uk as a,helping hands ,the metal rod with the magnifying glass attached to it its used to hold things for soldering.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

galacticprobe

Nov 10, 2012, 07:56 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 10, 2012, 08:09 pm by galacticprobe
Yeah, I notice that. In the Eccleston series those "Helping Hands" were still mounted on their base, which is next to the Demat lever (can't remember where I found this photo):
The TARDIS-10(HelpingHands).jpg

But they fell off at some point during the Tennant era, and the base stayed next to the Demat lever, even into the Smith era (as seen here in this photo taken by Kingpin at the DWE; note the purple Force Field slider used in "The Doctor's Wife"  on the left of the photo... makes it easy to "date" this one):
HelpingHandsBase.jpg

Why they didn't put the Helping Hands back onto the base at some point is beyond me, unless they were trying to make the console look more ragged at the series progressed.

As for the deflection yoke... Oh yeah; I've gotten more than my fair share of "ZAP!"s from them while trying to align the CRT images via those little bar magnets you can see on the sides of the yoke's white plastic housing. As long as you kill the power and discharge the CRT high voltage, you can handle the yoke any way you want. Problem is, you can't align a picture if the thing isn't operating! (I used to throw very solid objects at people who thought it was funny to sneak up on me while I was aligning a deflection yoke!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

wayne venomous

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 10, 2012, 07:56 pm
Yeah, I notice that. In the Eccleston series those "Helping Hands" were still mounted on their base, which is next to the Demat lever (can't remember where I found this photo):
The TARDIS-10(HelpingHands).jpg

Why is it that I never spot vehicle parts on this console until Dino posts up a pic?!
The thing next to the binoculars on the right - it's a fuel pump! I would even say it's possibly a diesel engine lift pump from something big like a tractor or truck.

Actually Dino, you may recall the fuel pump from your old VW Bug or Karmann Ghia depending on the year would've been similar in construction (although much smaller) if they had the genuine Solex fuel pump i.e. the type in two halves held together with screws.

galacticprobe

Nov 11, 2012, 05:44 am #5 Last Edit: Nov 11, 2012, 05:48 am by galacticprobe
Wayne, glad to help unearth (ID) yet another part on this console! And yes; both of my old VWs had that fuel pump you're referring to. It had to be replaced on both engines, too! (They have a tendency to cause, how shall I say it - flames? - when they start leaking on a hot engine, and being air-cooled doesn't provide enough breeze to blow out the fire.)

Unfortunately that was back in the late '70s (Ghia) and early '80 (Beetle), so the thought of grabbing even a small version was... well... not even a thought at the time. At least now people can find the smaller VW "close enough" pumps at places like JC Whitney's, or most auto parts stores.

And I think I've found a craft store that's got some of those round bottles (left side, about the same relative place as the fuel pump). Only the bottles they sell are clear rather than the green as in the above photo, but at least they have a real cork stopper. The size is about right, too. I think the store was a Michael's. (Could have been an AC Moore, also; the wife's dragged me to both a lot recently.)

Dino.

wayne venomous

Yeah those bottles, were they green originally or were they filled with a green gel I wonder?

It's been difficult to find a close-up picture of the Volkswagen Solex fuel pump but whilst googling for mechanical fuel pumps I noticed the fuel pump for a Vauxhall Cavalier seems to be quite similar in construction and has the mounts on the base:
150247781.jpg

Doesn't quite have the "domed" top as seen on the console part but I've noticed mechanical fuel pumps are changed a lot throughout the production run of the vehicle. You may recognise the name "Cavalier" as Vauxhall is indeed part of General Motors so it's very likely this part has been used on other GM vehicles too, it would be on a carburetor engine rather than a fuel injected engine.

galacticprobe

Nov 12, 2012, 06:24 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
That glass bottle almost looks like it's made from the same type of bubble glass as the globes on the console panel (see the globe right below the bottle). With the flare at the top (you have to look closely at it and you can see the flare around the cork) it looks like a mini "onion bottle", and could have been one of those hand-blown bottles.

I'll have to make a visit to the Jamestown Glassworks in Historic Jamestown where they actually blow glass of various kinds to see what they've got. All of the glass they blow has a green tint to it that's very close to the one on the console. (I bought an onion bottle from them some years ago - after 'Pirates: "Curse of the Black Pearl"' came out, and to make "Captain" Jack Sparrow proud immediately filled it with rum!)

That looks to be about a 3.5 to 4-inch bubble globe below it (I've got one of each on my desk) so I'm guessing that little bottle is about 3 inches or so. (I've got a 3-inch bubble globe as well and the size difference between it and the other two look about right.) I'm wondering if they've got a mini onion bottle about that size. The last time I was there was before I got hurt, which would put it before August 2004, and even as a living history museum their prices weren't bad. Hopefully they haven't gone up too badly because of the economy. If they do have a bottle like that, the hard part will be finding a cork to fit. (Craft store "miscellaneous cork bag"!)

Dino.