Apr 20, 2024, 02:28 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Stencil Experiment

Started by warmcanofcoke, Oct 12, 2012, 08:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Oct 12, 2012, 08:08 pm Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 08:23 pm by warmcanofcoke
I started experimenting with making a stencil for My Tardis Project.
IMG_6730A.jpg
IMG_6731A.jpg
IMG_6732A.jpg
IMG_6740A.jpg
IMG_6741A.jpg
IMG_6742A.jpg
IMG_6743A.jpg
IMG_6744A.jpg
IMG_6748A.jpg
IMG_6755A.jpg
IMG_6762A.jpg
IMG_6763A.jpg
IMG_6764A.jpg
IMG_6765A.jpg

well I learned not to do this on a windy day  :P and I learned you need an even thick coat of paint.

I may design a new stencil.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 13, 2012, 12:33 pm #1 Last Edit: Oct 13, 2012, 03:53 pm by warmcanofcoke
I think my new plan is to cut out all the letters and stick them to the back of the clear plastic using some sort of sticky paste or petroleum Jelly, I may even be able to use plain water, and then add several layers of paint, let it dry, and then remove the letters.

davidnagel

Interesting!

Certainly has produced promising results already :)
Regards
David

warmcanofcoke

Ok I've made another stencil ... technically this shouldn't stay in the "Top Signs" topic as my template is for the Pull to Open sign. But as the technique is useful for both signs I'll continue.

IMG_6767A_zpsd028a83d.jpg
IMG_6768A_zpsc5667728.jpg
IMG_6771A_zps2165254c.jpg
cut some plastic to the right size using pvc blades for a circular saw.
IMG_6773A_zps4642dcef.jpg
IMG_6774A_zps327f368b.jpg
added the template.
IMG_6775A_zps6385702e.jpg
stencil test fitting.
IMG_6778A_zps45b9606d.jpg
IMG_6785A_zpsd9d6be1f.jpg
IMG_6786A_zps37f973d1.jpg
now I'm going to figure out how to attach the stencils so that they stay in place when I use the spray paint.

evil bob

Wow that's a lot of work!  :o
Awesome!

DoctorWho8

Light tack spay adhesive?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

I had a graphic design teacher that absolutely forbade us from using spray on adhesive =P
But I appreciate the input. I used an Elmer's Glue Stick to keep the letters in place.
IMG_6787A_zpsf4332949.jpg
IMG_6788A_zpsecd3daea.jpg
IMG_6789A_zpsdfc99c1c.jpg
another windy day but I applied the spray paint lightly and in a circular pattern to try and get all the crevasses of the letters.
IMG_6790A_zpsd085f6e7.jpg
IMG_6792A_zpsbafb6e77.jpg
IMG_6793A_zps7d2ccb02.jpg
IMG_6794A_zps9db3291c.jpg
As you can see I will require at least a second coat when this dries.
When that dries, then we will see if I can remove the letters.

warmcanofcoke

this is what I had when the first coat dried.
IMG_6882A_zps4aa9d377.jpg
IMG_6883A_zpsc9722c57.jpg
IMG_6884A_zpseb19b7d3.jpg
I have added a second coat after I took these pictures and I am waiting for paint to dry.
In the Morning I'm going to take my exacto knife and start the clean-up process.

galacticprobe

Oct 16, 2012, 04:28 am #8 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:28 am by galacticprobe
I'm almost speechless, Nate. This is beautiful. Cutting out those letters, and then sticking them on so straight before painting must have driven you a little closer to that "insane" mark. I hope things come off clean so you can finish the paint job without too much fuss. And you say that panel is plastic? It's so clean (and clear before the paint) that anyone would swear it was glass!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Well I suppose we are all fighting to stay sane in a crazy world. I'd hate to build a Police box and a console room and then believe I was the Doctor.  I'd spend most of my days next to the guy who believes he's Napoleon Bonaparte. The only way out of the asylum would be to regenerate.  ::)

I've learned that the "I" in "Advice" is crooked. The plastic panel is slightly taller on the right side (easily fixed). And that the Stencil letters(which I wanted to use a second time) were not made of a sturdy enough material to come cleanly off the back of the plate. Additionally my research has led me to discover that it will take the spray paint a couple of days before it fully cures, after that I will be able to do the clean up work I mentioned. (scrape away the areas where capillary action has allowed the paint to go under the stencil.) 
IMG_6885A_zpsf2f9a75f.jpg
It is ok - This won't go to waste. I have a friend who owns a comic book store who wants to build the Newbery Tardis and put it on his roof. The panel is 15"x11" and will fit into a 16"x12" frame.

tony farrell

Nate, this is far more than simply "ok"! The speed and accuracy with which you achieve these things beggars belief - you must have a very steady hand  ;D Little details like the wonky 'I' add to the realism.
I think back-lit, this would look superb. 
Do you intend to use the same technique for the sign boxes over the Police Box doors?
Regards
Tony

galacticprobe

Oct 16, 2012, 02:53 pm #11 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 02:54 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 16, 2012, 01:17 pm
I'd hate to build a Police box and a console room and then believe I was the Doctor.

And the problem with this train of thought is...? ??? ;D ;D ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Silly Dino.. The clear problem with that....
I am the Doctor

and I am here to help
now you know
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

warmcanofcoke

Oct 16, 2012, 03:02 pm #13 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:06 pm by Scarfwearer
Thank you Tony, Dino and Dave er .. Doctor.  ;D I spent a lot of time on this forum merely reading, downloading photos, pdfs, and adding an awful lot of photos(perhaps to others frustration - sorry guys...), when I look at the amount of work other fine Tardis builders have done in that time, I feel dreadfully left behind. As always I hope that I play a useful role on this forum and my efforts will lead to owning a police box and Console room.

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 16, 2012, 02:35 pm
Do you intend to use the same technique for the sign boxes over the Police Box doors?

Ah yes! A man who read the forum category ... (Paraphrased from Douglas Adams when he gave a talk at the University of Rochester in 1990? was it... I have the poster somewhere. He was supposed to give a talk about computers and the internet and instead talked about his experiences and his book Last Chance to See. During the question and answer period someone from the audience asked him what this had to do with Computers and the Internet. He looked guiltily at the podium and said: Ah yes! A man who read his ticket ...everyone laughed -  He then briefly went over those points.  ;D )

Yes - this Stencil Experiment is teaching me lots of valuable things that will help me produce both a Pull to Open Sign and Top Signs for my police box. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3548

I will use what I learn here to make the Top Signs.

Ideas I have come up with include - After I make the Stencils out of a thicker and more durable card material I will remove the paper covering that I used to make the Stencil in the first place. I think this was the reason why the I in Advice was skewed - The Paper "I" and the cardboard "I" were slightly sideways from each other.  

I'm still not sure if I want to just spray the back white at the end, or simply add a white plastic back drop when I am done.

... This is why I started this topic and not simply added it to my build diary.  ;)

As always, thank you for your support.

EDIT: Fixed your link -- SW

museumdave

Oct 16, 2012, 03:35 pm #14 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 03:41 pm by museumdave
Nate
Sorry Meant to say how awesome this is and got distracted.

Truly awesome!!!

love it
The end product rocks, labour intensive, but great!

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?