Apr 20, 2024, 10:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11th Doctor TARDIS Build

Started by elmjoyprod, Sep 30, 2012, 09:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elmjoyprod

Nov 17, 2013, 04:31 pm #60 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2013, 04:43 pm by elmjoyprod
Almost finished the old girl, just a few little bits of paint to touch up, two windows to put in and the electrics to wire up first thing tomorrow morning :)

I havent had the time to add the beading around the panels but that will be done when I eventually get her home :)

IMG_3154.JPG

elmjoyprod

Electrics all plugged in!

IMG_3155.JPG

galacticprobe

Nov 19, 2013, 05:20 pm #62 Last Edit: Nov 19, 2013, 06:38 pm by galacticprobe
Slight hybrid concept (11th Doctor TARDIS with a 9th/10th Doctor lamp on top), but very well done! And now that I've seen this post (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5017.msg58450;topicseen#msg58450), it looks like you've serendipitously copied the TARDIS Tour box! (Now that was good; that was very good!)

I see you only have the two lower, outer panes in the windows lit. Is that how you're going to keep her? Or do you plan to light the whole window at some point?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Gotta love the hybrids!

Genuinely I love this build, the colour looks superb, the lamp lights up with a really nice effect, it has a very strong chunky feel to it (partly derived, I think, from those dimensional influences from the 9th/10th model, which really works to its advantage) and it looks like a very high-quality build.
Is the idea that this has blown through the wall and squashed some poor workman/librarian/sneaky lesson skiver? If so it's inspired!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

hawkeyemeds

Very well done, I always love looking at how these builds get going. Brilliant.

elmjoyprod

Thanks for the kind comments :)
She did turn into a 9th/10th/11th hybrid in the end but I am very proud of the result!
The windows will stay as they are for the time being I am tempted to change them at a later date.
The idea was indeed for the old girl to crash through the library wall and land on an unsuspecting book author!
Tomorrow we are holding a Doctor Who mastermind quiz in the library and I will be using sound effects and smoke to bring TARDIS to life just a little!

superrichi1a

When they originally envisioned the Smith TARDIS, they actually photoshopped a picture of a series 1 hero prop into a Smith likeness, to be honest I've come to think of these boxes with elements that bridge both more as "original concept" builds rather than hybrids, as I imagine the original plan was just to convert the current props, based on that (and after all, there was a strong push from the BBC to keep the new build as cheap and similar to the old design as possible). But yours looks far nicer than that, and I really think the windows work well with your choice of blue :)
Really, really love that setting idea. As long as it's not a real author of course! And if it IS a real author, maybe we could send this picture to George RR Martin with the tagline "speed up writing Game of Thrones or this is your fate!"
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

elmjoyprod

The TARDIS has gone down a storm so far this week with students coming into school in Doctor Who cosplay JUST to pose with her for photos!
The local press were also in yesterday and the article and photos should be out this week, I will post a scan/photo as soon as I get them.
I really wasnt expecting my build to get some much attention!!!
In the meantime here is an above shot of the old girl, a video of the light and sound test will be on shortly too.

IMG_3156.JPG

elmjoyprod

Sound and light night test

kiwidoc

Fantastic job - that's really a really good replica, and how wonderful to see it getting admired right away!  I work in Libraries and love this sort of interaction -well done Sir!!

paddywop

Well done-Bravo. Looks fantastic!
Really like the setting and the use of it.
Geoffrey "Paddywop" Park

elmjoyprod

Thank you kind sirs :) its going to be a shame to dismantle her next week and put her into storage.
Hopefully I will find another use for her at an event!

galacticprobe

Nov 21, 2013, 07:58 am #72 Last Edit: Nov 21, 2013, 07:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: elmjoyprod on Nov 21, 2013, 07:12 am
...its going to be a shame to dismantle her next week and put her into storage.
Hopefully I will find another use for her at an event!

"Where is she going to go; Ipswich?!" (paraphrasing Rose to the Doctor in "End of the World")

And yes; I know where you live (geographically), so hopefully the joke goes over well. ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elmjoyprod

haha! Just outside of Ipswich, she's never precise with navigation ;) :D

elmjoyprod