Apr 26, 2024, 10:32 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11th Doctor TARDIS Build

Started by elmjoyprod, Sep 30, 2012, 09:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elmjoyprod

I will always try and help others if I can, best of luck with your signs.

David

elmjoyprod

Not much more progress today, running out of cut timber and have to wait for Steve to get back after the hols to get the rest cut to size.
We brought all our timber wholesale size for cutting on site.

IMG_2816.JPG

elmjoyprod

Aug 15, 2013, 07:20 pm #32 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2013, 07:21 pm by elmjoyprod
Tomorrow I will be cutting the two plywood sheets in the background down to size and if possible attaching the rest of the horizontal frames to this side. I have decided this will be the back panel as there was a mix up with panel height and I had to attack the thing with a mallet (wood glue sets so damn quick!). This photo is post mallet attack!

elmjoyprod

Starting to take shape :)

IMG_2830.JPG

elmjoyprod

That's me playing peek-a-boo whilst holding her together!

galacticprobe

Aug 17, 2013, 05:08 am #35 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013, 05:08 am by galacticprobe
Looks like she's coming along nicely.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

i am a timedad

Good job, especially liking those top signs!

I'd rather be a Dad than a Lord of anything.

elmjoyprod

The TARDIS I am building is going to have its debut in the schools book week which is in November and coincides with the 50th Anniversary.
They are having a doctor who theme in the library for the whole week and the TARDIS will have pride of place :)
I am also going to attempt a tardis console / control room at one end of the library!

To make it more exciting for the students, they wont be told the theme of book week, but will instead see clues in the library in the weeks leading up to book week.

I made one of those last night / this morning...IMG_2865.JPG

i am a timedad

That is really cool!

Sounds like a great idea for book week. We never did stuff like that when I was in school. Course i'm in the US and when I was in school Doctor Who was only on PBS once in a while so you were considered a real odd ball or sci fi nerd if you even knew that.

Your build is coming along great, this last little piece shows just how much talent you really have, can't wait to see this finished!
I'd rather be a Dad than a Lord of anything.

elmjoyprod

Thank you for your kind words "i am a timedad"
I am lucky enough to work in a school that allows me to unleash my creativity and general geekiness.
They even let me launch a weather balloon / edge of space probe a couple of years back! :)

To give it an authentic look, I attacked the piece with a lighter for a good 5 minutes and burnt my thumb in the process!

elmjoyprod

As I mentioned in a previous post my build will be used for school book week and here is another of the clues i have created...
Thanks again to my friend Winnie for playing kimberley

elmjoyprod

Two words........Corner...posts...

Depending on your budget and your design these can be constructed various ways.
For our build it was decided that each post would be made out of four lengths of wood glued together.
Firstly the wood was glued into 8 pairs and then these paired up and glued to make the four posts.
But because of the freak heat wave in the UK at that time, and the work shop having more windows that your average PC, the wood warped as it dried out.
This meant that no two ends where the same size or shape, which left us scratching our heads as we wondered how to attach the posts to the base in a way that would be easy assembly for various events.

We decided to go with the "peg a post" technique!

An 80mm diameter fence post we found in our scrap wood pile was cut into 4 equal lengths, then slotted into the ends of the posts and secured with 2 screws. You will see from the photos that we also glued wedges into the opposite corners to give the pegs a snug fit.IMG_2895.JPGIMG_2896.JPG

galacticprobe

Aug 29, 2013, 03:29 pm #42 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 03:30 pm by galacticprobe
Now that's how to build a TARDIS - get the round peg to fit into the square hole. Brilliant! I also love that wood flooring you've got; it's perfect for either the 2005 or 2010 console room main level. (Ah... if I only had that sort of space to work with...)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elmjoyprod

Hey Dino,

I hadnt noticed how perfect the flooring would be!
Going to attempt to attach the pegged posts to the base tomorrow.
The new school term starts next week so this will restrict my access to the workshop :(

paddywop

Anything new with your build. Very curious to see how it turns out.
Geoffrey "Paddywop" Park