Location 51.707835, -0.113785

A.R.W. Siren

13-Jan-36

21 Apr 70

Plough Hill, west side opposite Station Road

District:    Cuffley

Subdivision:  Barnet

Resited

Two images I've not seen of this box before.

cuffley-s69-955.jpg

cuffleypb_002-cr-955.png

Both 1935 map and 1970 map don't show Box.

Box is about centre of red circle

1935 map:

map-s69-1935.png

The old school building was knocked down and St. Andrews Church built in 1965.

Andrew Harvey

What superb pictures! Interesting to note the white door on the box in the second picture. The motorcycle combination gets my vote too! Thanks for sharing these! I must say how impressed I am at the tenacity of folks on here in finding these gems!

Andrew

alexcutler

Is it a white door. or we are just seeing the inside because the door is open?

I only say because it seems odd that the door would ever be painted white; unless it was some kind of primer that "looks white".

Andrew Harvey

Having saved the image to my files, I have had a good look. Its a bit foggy, but I think it is indeed an undercoat on the door. I think that if the door were open, there would be a shadow and the door would appear grey. It might have even been left white, or glossed... I recall the Mk V on another thread which has a plain wooden door.( Its one with an old Ford police car in the street with the policemen at least I think its a Ford. I am no expert on cars!). A white door would certainly be more visible to the officer on the beat in the dark, especially, if the street lights were off, or non existent! ( Gerry Bombs etc!)

It would certainly be a good variant for a miniature/model project ( along with a red one which I still have not built yet!)......

.....I've just had another close look. It is indeed a white door. You can just discern the door handle opposite the telephone cupboard. There would appear to be some foliage hanging over the corner too....The Air Raid Warning post is there, so naturally there would be no street lighting.

White door. Definatly!

Andrew

dr hue

Dec 16, 2022, 12:21 pm #4 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2022, 12:25 pm by dr hue
Does look like the door is closed. tried to enhance box door:

cuffley-squares.png

Think I can make out 3 panel 'bars'

Links to boxes with mismatching doors:

Ford Anglia 105E Police Panda car and Mk5

P26 MK5 west Wickham Library

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10758.msg129428#msg129428

Mysterious High Wycombe Boxes:

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9006.0

Ickenham village X56:

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3743.msg56305#msg56305

peterjohn

Two great Photos dr hue..
The second one I guess from 1936 and like several other boxes taken before the Teak door had been painted....

Andrew Harvey

Well, there you go. I can certainly make out the bars on the door too, Dr. Hue, so thats settled! Ive just been having another close look. Its hard to see the top of the Air Raid Warning Post as it appears to be amid the foliage of that lovely tree. I had a quick peep at Google to find out what year they started putting A.R.W posts up, and it reckoned 1937. ( Something I feel I should have known being a bit of an Airfix type model nut!)
  The pole appears to be just behind the Box in both pictures.

1936 or 7, its a great picture all the same. It is a great pity that so many of these old pictures have such poor resolution. Still, that cannot be helped! At least we have them!

Those High Wycombe ones were interesting. I wonder; white, or pale blue?
  Thanks again,
    Andrew