News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mocking up narrow windows

Started by Scarfwearer, Jul 06, 2005, 01:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

Jul 06, 2005, 01:56 am Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:58 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: mark board=film thread=1120377961 post=1120503049
Maybe anyone who's a whiz on that computer art package (is it photoshop?) could have a fiddle with the new series prop and see what it would look like with larger stiles instead of wider panels?

I borrowed Razorcuts picture of the new TARDIS and had a go with MS Paint (!). Here it is:

new-tardis.jpg
new-tardis-styles.JPG

What d'you think?

Crispin

Mark

Jul 06, 2005, 05:53 am #1 Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:58 pm by scarfwearer
Nice work Crispin,

I think that just by altering the stiles gives the TARDIS a better look.

I still don't understand this particular TARDIS though, its as though the design briefing went something like "Right everybody, you only have 30 seconds to study these pictures of past TARDIS designs and real police boxes, then after that off you go. By the way we need the new TARDIS prop ready for the morning!"

Then again, its better than nothing.

hb88banzai

Jul 06, 2005, 12:55 pm #2 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012, 09:50 pm by Scarfwearer
Crispin,

Great job.  Now just increase the width of the pillars in toward the center so that all four stiles are about the same width and you'd have a perfectly acceptable TARDIS, even with the low roof-line.  Sigh.

kiwidoc

Oddly enough I was browsing my NST folder a few minutes ago and found pictures I mocked up in 2005(!) and don't think I ever shared.   I like the new series TARDIS well enough now that I've built my own copy but for your possible interest I present the Diet NST:

05b.jpgdiettardis05c.jpg

alan smithee

May 29, 2022, 11:27 pm #4 Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:29 pm by alan smithee
Because I was bored, I tried playing around with the layout of the Tennant-era police box prop to see if I could make it look more 'classical.' (Apologies to Bill Rudloff for mucking around with his schematics, haha.) And I think it came out well!

05TARDISretool.png

Besides changing the width of the overall box, I also made the door panels narrower. It's funny how just by doing that, the entire box begins to look more "correct." The thinner windows have more of an austere vibe to them; the square ones look more like a garden shed!

On top of that, I also added the wider vertical borders for the top sign and modified the lamp a bit. (Ideally, it'd just be the Yardley-Jones style lamp used for the War Doctor variant of the prop.)

Below is a side-by-side with the original plans, just to show off how "chunky" that version is.

05TARDISretool-sidebyside.png