Mar 29, 2024, 06:51 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Collapsible 2010 TARDIS.

Started by campbelltaylor, Aug 28, 2012, 06:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

campbelltaylor

Aug 28, 2012, 06:49 am Last Edit: Aug 28, 2012, 06:49 am by campbelltaylor
So, I've taken to building my own full sized TARDIS. What you're about to see are just rough schematics, they aren't at all drawn to scale... or even well. Mathematically, though, they are all correct and my design should be an optimal balance between weight and structural integrity.

SCN_0001.jpg
A design for the top sign and door sign. I would appreciate any input for the dimensions.

SCN_0002.jpg
The three stationary walls and the eight windows.

SCN_0003.jpg
The threshold, stationary left door, and recessed right door designed to open in, like the TARDIS.

SCN_0004.jpg
The base-plate and foundation. Housing for the frame and their dimensions.

SCN_0005.jpg
The sloped roof with three levels.

SCN_0006.jpg
Additional information for the lowest level (correct the letter "c" with the letter "a").

I'm heading down to Lowe's this weekend for some lumber and hardware. This is meant to be completely collapsible for transport so I'm not going to be afraid to l-bracket the hell out of this thing.

galacticprobe

Aug 28, 2012, 04:37 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2012, 04:42 pm by galacticprobe
As far as input for dimensions on your top and door signs, the best you can find for the 2010 TARDIS dims (which has the same dimensions as the 2005 TARDIS, just repainted) are here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=654.0 in the links to Bill "The Doctor" Rudloff's (a.k.a. DoctorWho8) plans. Many of our members have used them for their builds and this is the closest we can get.

You can browse the Plans section here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=77.0 if you care to. You may find one or two guesstimates amongst the threads in there, but if you're looking for "actual" measurements, please note the disclaimer in red at the top of the Plans page. (Unfortunately it's something we have to live with until we get the "OK" to post more.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Best of luck. I didn't dig into your sketches in depth, but just scanning them, it looks like you're put enough thought into it and are on the right track.  Best of luck.  If I may though, realize that TARDISes are a lot bigger in real life than they are on paper.  Heavier too.  And more expensive (although by the time you get done at Lowe's most of this will probably have sunk in).  So "portable" may be a relative thing (no pun intended). 

Personally, I didn't put as much thought into my engineering as you, but I had all my dimensions and my cut list on paper, but as I went down aisles at Home Depot with an ever larger pile of supplies I grew more and more nervous.  The next eye opener came when I had my sides assembled and rough-painted and it came time to screw them together.  I'd planned to unobtrusively tuck it in the corner behind my garage, next to the neighbor's 6' fence.  Then I got to looking at the sides and realizing it would tower over not only the fence but actually be taller than the back of the garage (I have a little old house).

Still, the only regrets I have about building my TARDIS are that I didn't get some of my dimensions right when I simplified my design from the 1963 prop--most notably the corner posts, which are solidly 2" too thin, which screws up the dimensions on the door panels. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

mulla

Yep, I'm 100% with Volpone on this one!  I put very little down on paper, and have to admire your forthought!
The benefit i found with winging it, is that i could build around standard timber sizes which satisfied my lack of tools!
The biggest problem is having to do things in a specific order, with a full set of drawings like yours you should, theoretically, be able to build components in any order you wish, (and then hope your drawings stack up :))

My build also comes apart for transport, and i think this was the trickiest part....  so many times i wished i could just bang a screw in somewhere, fill the head and paint over it! Alas No!
Dropping a nut down the inside of corner post while you're up a ladder with two spanners in your hands, a pencil in your mouth and a spirit level balanced on your head becomes tiresome VERY quickly... (by the time you've dropped your third you will be an expert in foul and abusive language)

While you're in Lowes, (sound like a great place for the yanks among us), work out how much sandpaper you think you'll need and quadruple it! then quadruple it again! you should be close... (unless it's just me - which it probabaly is.. ::))

And get on with it! I'm looking forward to this one!  :D

torchwood

Ok i am lost on the sign it's 45 inches long? and 8 inches high? doesn't that seem odd and then it calls for only 16 1/4 by 14 3/4 glass isn't that to small?

galacticprobe

Jan 03, 2013, 07:26 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013, 07:26 am by galacticprobe
I think that measurement is for the PTO door glass, not the Top Sign which is usually made on some sort of frosted plexiglass/perspex sheet, and therefore doesn't need a glass. (If I'm wrong here, someone will correct me.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"