Apr 20, 2024, 12:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sound/Audio with Light FX

Started by old type 40, Aug 20, 2012, 02:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

old type 40

(Though I've visited this site many times throughout the years I AM new as a member. I appreciate that they are currently attempting to 'clean up' the posting process and how/where topics are posted. I hope that I am posting this in the right place and proper way in order to comply. If not just holler and I'll try to address.)

QUESTION IN A NUTSHELL- Is it possible to run a FX board(sound & light synchronized) using ONLY the 12V power transformer, the sound card, and the sound-light modulator....but NOT the amp? I'd be running AUDIO FILE from sound card directly to a GUITAR-amp instead and supplying feed to SL-modulator via the secondary 'speaker-out' feed from sound card. Could this entirely eliminate need for the AMP(12v) in the FX board setup? I'm a novice, could use feedback. Thanks for sharing

MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION-
Have reviewed the videos (including YouTube) of others homemade synchronized Audio/Light FX boards. Have also read as many posts related to same as possible. I've learned alot form each but am still not where I'd 'prefer' to be with a plan/unit of my own. The issue is that most of these which combine audio to lighting effects utilize ALOT of componets on board/diagram to accomplish...to many for my taste, skill-set and logistical needs. Typically you'll see a board made where there is a 110V power feed going into a 12V transformer. The transformer then feeds the sound card, the sound/light modulator card AND an amp which in turn feeds a speaker elsewhere. There's alot of wiring going on here and not all plug-in....much soldering. My wish has been to reduce that as much as possible. The 'one' componet on these typical configurations where I see the potential to reduce is to loose and/or replace with different option is the AMP. Taking this away reduces ALOT of wires and reduces the configuration. Now I know those 'in the know' are saying right now "Then where do you think you're going to get the power to drive this audio to a speaker without the amp?" I am 'theorizing' utilizing a guitar amp to replace this portion of the setup. It provides more flexibility in locating speaker placement (as speaker IS in union with guitar amp already). It also reduces the demands on the 12V power transformer as the 'typical' amp used is now no longer in play on FX board because the guitar amp is instead powered ''independantly'' from household 110V. In theory this would also reduce the level of 'interconnectivity' going on with FX board. But as I said, this is THEORY. In my mind and from what I've been able to research and SEE it 'appears' that this is do-able with all the hookups, wiring compatibilities, etc... But I am by no means well versed with this stuff or experienced by any measure. However I know that some in this group are, so I'm posting this for any useful feedback...particularly from anyone who has experience with the homemade audio/lighting FX boards and it's componets/electronics. All feedback and/or discussion is appreciated :-)
invasion of time