Apr 19, 2024, 11:36 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Steve's First TARDIS

Started by steve1419, Jul 14, 2012, 04:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

steve1419

I've been wanting to build a TARDIS for quite a while now, and after stumbling upon this site I thought I would give it a go.  Since my woodworking and painting skills are pretty subpar, i decided to do a non-era specific, solid wood model to get my feet wet.

First I made a sold core by gluing together four 2x2 wood blocks.  I then attached two sandwiched corner molding pieces to each corner that I found in the Home Depot trim section.  In my stupidity, next time, the inside trim piece goes higher, but oh well, we're just experimenting here.  I then started framing out the doors and windows with tiny balsa strips from my local crafts store.  Again, nothing scale specific here, just eyeballing everything and hoping for the best.

TARDIS 1.jpg

I made the sign boxes by just framing out tiny balsa strips that I cut with a hobby knife.

tardis sign box.jpg

The pain in the arse windows

tardis windows.jpg

steve1419

The hardest part for anyone like me with no skill is the roof.  Thankfully Wood putty fixes a lot of poor cutting and sanding mistakes.

tardis roof.jpg

tardis sanded roof.jpg

steve1419

Paint going on

tardis paint.jpg

Pain in the arse windows again

tardis window paint.jpg

steve1419

Just printed the door and top signs on a high quality laser printer off of the reference section and glued straight on.  Then did a little weathering with a small amount of black paint and a Q-tip.  Door lock was just the cut off head of a penny nail.

tardis finished 1.jpg

tardis finished 2.jpg

Still looking now for the right parts to finish the lantern.

All in all, this was a great time getting my feet wet, and definitely has peaked my interest in making a larger model (as soon as i get a table saw, router, etc.) lol.

Lessons learned:

1 - On solid models, paint the windows first, then glue on the frames.  I thought I had a steady hand but trying to paint inside of the frames resulted in a sloppy mess.
2 - Patience.  This should be fun.  On small parts like cutting the window frames, I found myself getting tired, and rushing through some of it, resulting in sloppy cuts and poor gluing.  Just do small chunks at a time to keep it looking clean.
3 - Test fit before gluing and make sure things are clamped and tight after.  My whole model is slightly tilted because the core I glued shifted a millimeter or two while drying.  This resulted in everything else being more difficult to glue and fit.  Again, see rule number 2.

I would definitely appreciate and tips, criticisms, etc so my next build turns out great, thanks all!

Rassilons Rod

Great build! :)

I think in the last one that the windows look a bit bigger than the panels, but I can't tell if that's just the angle or something...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2012, 10:12 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012, 10:12 pm by galacticprobe
I think that might be an optical illusion created by the brighter windows and the (smaller) light PTO sign. When I zoom my screen in to get a closer look (albeit it does start to pixelate if I zoom in too much), the edges of the windows in both photos do look like they're even with the edges of the panels.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

steve1419

I would say given my modeling skill they are probably uneven, or that I may have blobbed more paint over the edge of the pane making it look bigger.  Whatever I make next will definitly be better planned, and i will take my time to avoid any poor measurements.