Apr 26, 2024, 10:26 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Evil Bob's TARDIS build

Started by evil bob, Jul 12, 2012, 09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

evil bob

I'm going to make both Tennant and Smith lamps. I built this vacuum form table to make copies of the lamp top so I don't have to buy another garden lantern.

newpic48.jpg

newpic24.jpg

DoctorWho8

Putting a jelly jar fresnel in the Tennant one I see.  Nice touch.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

evil bob

Lol not for the final version. I'll replace the flat plastic windows with a single curved tube.

galacticprobe

Aug 08, 2012, 02:24 am #18 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2012, 02:26 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: evil bob on Aug 08, 2012, 01:01 am
Lol not for the final version. I'll replace the flat plastic windows with a single curved tube.

A 2 litre Coke or Pepsi (or any clear) bottle should be about the right size for inside the lamp. And it's flexible enough to be "worked" into place if the size is a little off, even if you have to do it in panes.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Would that last outdoors since this would a be a "shed"?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

evil bob

I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. I hadn't thought about using a soda bottle, though I think I'll take some measurements. I can cut the bottle if it's too big and hide the seam behind one of the lamps vertical bits. I was thinking of having the smith lamp on the box most of the time anyway.

galacticprobe

Aug 08, 2012, 07:32 pm #21 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2012, 07:33 pm by galacticprobe
The plastic of the soda bottle should make it easy to form around the lamp. I'm not sure what they used for the actual lamp's "glass" (timerotor?), but if you look at the photo of the crashed lamp used on the TARDIS in "The Eleventh Hour" (here, a little more than half way down the page http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3346.0#msgx38351), it looks like they used plastic "glass" - possibly in sections - for at least this lamp.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

evil bob

That crashed lamp was hard to look at.  :'(

galacticprobe

Aug 09, 2012, 03:33 pm #23 Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 03:33 pm by galacticprobe
That was exactly my thought, which I think I mentioned in that other thread.

Okay... just checked it. Yeah; I mentioned that.

Dino.

evil bob

I made some vacuum formed copies of my lantern top.

newpic49.jpg

newpic52.jpg

newpic53.jpg

I also ordered this replica phone from Amazon.  It looks like it could be modified to look more like the TARDIS's phone.
How cool is it to have the phone really work?

newpic54.jpg  newpic55.jpg

galacticprobe

Aug 12, 2012, 08:28 am #25 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2012, 08:33 am by galacticprobe
Great work on those lamp tops! :o And great find with that phone. I hope your modification of it goes well. That would be a great build diary: how to modify the phone!

Dino.

Scarfwearer

... or even a tutorial article, depending on how it goes.

Crispin

evil bob

Aug 12, 2012, 01:23 pm #27 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2012, 09:54 pm by evil bob
Thanks Dino and Crispin!

museumdave

Great work on the vacuum.. I Love the way this is coming together.  I have always wanted to try that- seeing this will certainly help when I do... but I am with scarfwearer- a tutorial would be great.

thanks for sharing your work

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

daveninja

I dont know about the "vacuum forming" to make copies. how is that done? i see a vacuum hooked to a box with a peg board top but i cant figure out whats going on and it looks cool. educate me, please, someone! :)