Apr 23, 2021, 01:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


Brachacki 1:13 scale model build

Started by silverfox, Oct 18, 2009, 06:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfox

Oct 18, 2009, 06:51 pm Last Edit: Jan 17, 2013, 12:51 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello there.
I've dropped out of lurk mode to ask for some advice.

After seeing Purple Blancmange's wonderful 1:13 scale TARDIS build some time ago I decided to attempt my own.

I had several reasons for the build:
1) I wanted a "proper" TARDIS in scale with the 5" toy figures. Nothing wrong with the flight control new series TARDIS - I love it, but it is too different from the original series props and I'm fussy.
2) I wanted something physical to make as I wanted to spend less time sat at the computer
3) I thought if I built an original TARDIS and it came out wonky I might get away with it looking like one of the battered original props.

I settled on the original Hartnell design as I've always had a soft spot for it and it seemed the perfect model to start off with (If I ever attempted any more)

Due to the small scale I decided I may have to make some compromises. It will probably end up being a mix of the TARDIS as seen in different Hartnell stories - but then the ship itself changed (between model shots and studio shots for example) sometimes within the same scene (War Machines - I'm looking at you)

so...
Original prop size with the taller roof (I like the extra height above the Police Box signs on the early model.)
White Window frames.
blue telephone sign border (possibly - although I may go for the white pilot version.)
Square beacon cap.
Fresnel lens may be too difficult so it may end up being the simpler version.
May not have door handles as per the original prop.

What I'm looking for is any advice on how to improve what I've got. If it's too late for this version I may well build another (apart from the odd setback it has been great fun building it)

brachaki_model_04.jpg

The base isn't attached yet, neither is the roof.

I still haven't added (or made) the front Police Box sign and the corner posts need finishing off - as do the other Police Box Signs.

The windows haven't been made yet.

The front, right door is just propped in place as I plan on keeping it possible to open and close it.

You can't see the telephone panel yet as I stuck a printed sign in it just to gauge the scale for when I create the insert later.

brachaki_model_01.jpg


brachaki_model_02.jpg

brachaki_model_03.jpg

I'm not sure the angle of the roof is right - and building it was a real pig. I also struggled with my first attempt at one of the windows - those panel beams are tiny!!

If anybody has any tips or suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

purpleblancmange

Oct 19, 2009, 09:13 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 09:09 pm by scarfwearer
Welcome to the board and what a way to join - with a pretty much near to completed model... and what a great model it is!

I think you're doing pretty well as it is, obviously you have a plan of how things attach and go together, so I couldn't comment on that, but the way it looks, I think it's absolutely fine.  The roof pitch seems pretty much perfect, so I wouldn't worry about it.

When I started building the one I did, I used a mixture of superglue, epoxy and styrene cement, depending on what I was working on at the time.  If I needed a quick join, superglue was used, for all the panel detailing, styrene cement was used as that partially melts the plastic and fuses the two together and the epoxy was brought into service when I mixed materials - ie, plastic to brass or wood.

I've been very tempted to have a go at making one of these myself and seeing yours makes me feel even more geared towards taking up the challenge, but with the way things are at the moment,  this probably won't be until the new year.

Anyway, keep us posted on the progress and do show us all the finished piece when done.

lespaceplie

Oct 18, 2009, 08:25 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 02:31 pm by scarfwearer
You're making great progress there. I'm surprised there aren't more polystyrene sheet builds around. I'm planning a 1:16 model soon.

The best way to make the lamp (without locating a handy substitute) unfortunately involves a turning a lexan rod on a lathe or casting in acrylic.

geminitimelord

Oct 19, 2009, 04:59 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 02:31 pm by scarfwearer
Nice Work! My Full Size TARDIS is being built to the Hartnell standards.