Mar 29, 2024, 06:11 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Definitive Davison/C. Baker/McCoy Time Rotor Plans

Started by warmcanofcoke, May 30, 2012, 01:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Theta Sigma

The 60W bulbs are 19.69 inches (50.0126 cm) in length and 1.25 inches (3.175 cm) in diameter.

The 35W bulbs are 11.75 inches (29.854 cm) in length and 1.25 inches (3.175 cm) in diameter.

I would be very interested to know if these measurements match up to what's been extrapolated so far.
"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

Theta Sigma

There are 150W versions that are 39.38 inches (100.0252 cm) in length and 1.25 inches (3.175 cm) in diameter, but I think these are too long to have been used in this time rotor.

Theta Sigma

Hmmmmm....the more I look at the pictures, the more I could convince myself that (2) of the bulbs were the longer 150W versions, and then (2) more 60W.  Then the (4) 35W red ones.  This also assumes that this time rotor is slightly taller than the 30 in. high Pertwee/Baker time rotor.  I have taken the liberty of updating the drawing to show the placement of the different wattage bulbs.  I hope this helps.

plansw.png

Theta Sigma

Did this thread die or have we discussed all we can?  I'm going through withdrawl symptoms, as this one is my favorite.

warmcanofcoke

Jun 23, 2012, 02:40 am #19 Last Edit: Jun 23, 2012, 03:24 am by warmcanofcoke
sorry work has distracted me and I was hopping kingpin was going to update some plans soon - I don't want this to die either - I've always admired this console and suspected it was going to be one of the hardest to construct counting costs and complexity (*of the classic series)

I was thinking about using lightsaber blades as a substitute for the T10 bulbs
http://www.ultrasabers.com/category-s/53.htm

with led modules
http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/led%20module.htm
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Kingpin

Quote from: Theta Sigma on Jun 23, 2012, 02:31 am
Did this thread die or have we discussed all we can?  I'm going through withdrawl symptoms, as this one is my favorite.

Like canofcoke, I've also been sidelined by work recently.  I have the coming week booked off, so I'm hoping to devote a bit more time to the rotor.  One of the things that I'll need to spend a lot of time on is trying to work out how all those acrylic pieces are arranged, all of them being transparent with no colour makes it trickier to differentiate.

Alternately, instead of a single LED at the base of the tube, you could opt for a string going from top to bottom, like some of the other Lightsabres use.

warmcanofcoke

Jun 26, 2012, 02:47 am #21 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2012, 03:04 am by warmcanofcoke
hmmm - I'll start another topic on the possibility of lightsaber use as Time Rotor Parts just so we don't activate the drift compensators

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3565.msg42219;topicseen#msg42219

warmcanofcoke

Jun 26, 2012, 11:41 pm #22 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2012, 11:45 pm by warmcanofcoke
What are the diameters of the acrylic rods, and what are the diameters of the clear tubes around the base of the stars?

galacticprobe

Jun 27, 2012, 07:45 am #23 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2012, 07:48 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jun 26, 2012, 02:47 am
hmmm - I'll start another topic on the possibility of lightsaber use as Time Rotor Parts just so we don't activate the drift compensators

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3565.msg42219;topicseen#msg42219

This might fall under this thread anyway. I just took another look at the diagram of the column (overhead view) above and noticed the wattage on the lights. With those watts inside that column, it's going to get pretty warm pretty fast. (Two 150 watt white lights? That alone is 300 watts. Add all of the other lights into that and you've got a total of 560 watts inside that covering! :o)

Having other possible sources for this column's lights is right on topic, as least to me. (If the Mods feel differently, they'll move the posts to a different topic.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Kingpin

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jun 26, 2012, 11:41 pm
What are the diameters of the acrylic rods, and what are the diameters of the clear tubes around the base of the stars?

Haven't the foggiest, I'm afraid.  Shame there hasn't been any opportunity for one of our bretheren to get a job on-site so he could do a bit of discreet measuring... even if he only got the width of the casing, everything else could be scaled from that.

Theta Sigma

Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 am #25 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2012, 02:04 am by Theta Sigma
While it pales in comparison to Jarrod's work, I made this console a very long time ago, but the rotor is a recent modification.  In this, I used cold cathode tubes that would normally be used to light a computer case.  They don't generate much heat, but I don't know if they make them big enough for a full sized 5-doctors console build.  Something to think about though......

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb156/klippard74/?action=view&current=console.mp4

galacticprobe

Jun 28, 2012, 06:35 am #26 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2012, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jun 26, 2012, 11:41 pm

It almost looks like both rods and tubes are the same (outside) diameter. Taking a guess that the light tubes (being '80s technology) are about 1.5 inches in diameter which was about the norm for such sized light tubes, the acrylic rods' and tubes' diameters could be extrapolated from them. (That is, provided the above diagram is roughly to scale.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Your 4 paneled console is like the first one I made out of cardboard. :D
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rustymetaldog

Theta Sigma, that console is cute and the time rotor is excellent! Really nice to see it moving so well too. Great stuff :) I love this thread!
Build high for happiness :)

galacticprobe

Jun 29, 2012, 01:11 am #29 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2012, 01:13 am by galacticprobe
Your column has a really smooth movement. I'll have to look back at your build to see how you did it. (Unless this recent rotor modification includes the movement, and it wasn't in the original build: in which case, please tell all? Inquiring minds want to know. :))

Dino.