Apr 16, 2024, 04:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Warmcanofcoke's Tardis Shed

Started by warmcanofcoke, Apr 13, 2012, 09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

I've thought about that - and I have to admit it does look like that. I like the Idea of it being an emergency stop button.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Apr 23, 2012, 02:49 pm #46 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012, 03:01 pm by galacticprobe
I think you can buy those emergency stop buttons at an electrical supply store, or the electrical section of a hardware/home improvement store. The red button part is flat. I know I've seen them there, I have just never priced them before. They're not specifically called "Emergency Stop Buttons" because they are used for other things, but the buttons are out there.

As for your magnetic field detector, just MHO, but that round Michael's box looks the part best. It's got the right shape, and with the lid cut out for the lens and then placed on the box to hold the lens in place it gives it that small lip like the one on the console.

That large black knob: Perfect! Especially with the wording printed on it. Brilliant find! (If you just happen to find another something like that in the University dumpster, shoot me a PM. I could use a knob like that.)

And yes, you are on the right track with that ceiling light cover for the Gallifrey Recall Indicator. I used one of those light diffusers back in the late '80s to build the indicator cover (pointy side of the diffuser on the inside). It was a slow time while I was teaching Coast Guard Electronics School, I had no classes scheduled for a few weeks, and there was this broken light diffuser panel in the back of my classroom. So, I borrowed a coping saw from the bo's'un's shop and cut five slightly Isosceles triangles out of it (to get that little pitch to it). Then I snagged some super glue from the store room and set out assembling the indicator cover.

The hardest part was getting the pieces to hold their shape while the glue took hold. It came out rather well and looked remarkably like the one on the console, especially in that close up of it in "Arc of Infinity" when the indicator had its 15 seconds of fame on screen. (And that diffuser is probably what the props department used to make theirs.) I used to keep it on my coffee table and when people asked me what it was, I would tell them, and say it was just one of the pieces of my TARDIS that I've been able to find. Moving about in the military has caused it to go missing (as had happened with so many of my belongings), otherwise I would save you the trouble of building one and send it to you since I'm probably never going to use it. (Well, I'm never going to use it since it's gone now anyway :P.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

The problem with the Mushroom switch / Emergency Stop Button is trying to find one that doesn't have Bach-relief Arrows indented on the surface.
mushroomE03680-5.jpg
and then for some unknown reason the ones without arrows - the price goes through the roof. $60./$70. US
mushroom.jpg
mushroom2.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Apr 24, 2012, 02:51 am #48 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2019, 01:16 pm by warmcanofcoke
Another "Possible" Emergency Stop Switch It is a Hadley Air Horn Switch off of a Motor Boat.
IMG_1143A.jpg
I'll probably fill in the lettering with some Bondo.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 26, 2012, 12:03 am #49 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2019, 01:42 pm by warmcanofcoke
with these I'll make all the buttons depress on the console.
IMG_1228A.jpg

parts for a different console
IMG_5119A.jpg

& these just came in the mail:
IMG_1224A.jpg
IMG_1221A.jpg
not sure why it says January - because I didn't apply for graduation until February. It just came in the mail today. Is this so that I have to pay my loans back quicker?

*edit - just found an image of the console I've never seen before:
Terminus.jpg
IMG_1229A.jpg

Scarfwearer

Congratulations on the degree!

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

Apr 26, 2012, 12:15 pm #51 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 pm by warmcanofcoke
Thanks Crispin  :D
Now to work on my graduation present to myself.  ;D

Nate

Rassilons Rod

Yes congratulations indeed! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

museumdave

Congratulations Sir!

That is great ;D

I hope this doesn't mean you have to grow up and get a job and stop building space time machines

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Apr 26, 2012, 08:03 pm #54 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 08:03 pm by galacticprobe
Congrats, Nate! What was your Major? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: museumdave on Apr 26, 2012, 03:11 pm
Congratulations Sir!

That is great ;D

I hope this doesn't mean you have to grow up and get a job and stop building space time machines

Dave

Can't I do both? ???

warmcanofcoke

My Major was TV and Radio Production with a minor in Theater
:)

galacticprobe

Apr 27, 2012, 04:25 pm #57 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2012, 04:25 pm by galacticprobe
Whoa! Cool! I'll bet you had some interesting classes to take for that. If you can land a job in the field you'll make some good money. The best of luck to you. (Just don't forget about us once you're a George Lucas or Steven Spielberg. ;))

My wife had a friend who was a close cousin to Sylvester Stallone (and sadly this poor woman looked almost exactly like him). Even more sad, they were always in contact with each other, until he became famous. She hasn't heard from him since.

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 29, 2012, 02:52 pm #58 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2019, 01:52 pm by warmcanofcoke
Doctor Who Revenge of the Cybermen Season 12 - 1975

"I wonder ... Has Vorus, in the madness of his vanity brought down the vengeance of the Cybermen upon us again?"
            - "Well it's not the craziest thing he's ever done ... but its on the list."

this is just a small update.

I may edit it later today.

look in the lower two circles in this picture
127Terminuscosmicstring.jpg

there are these reflective wavy lines.

So I went to Joann Fabrics and found this.
IMG_1239A.jpg
IMG_1248A.jpg
it was discounted to 25 cents a yard :D

warmcanofcoke

So I was at Walmart about to buy a tub of Bondo when a friend of mine who makes models said he could school me in making the Viewers and the gold biscuit tray I was trying to identify in http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2513.0
so we shall see if there is a better way.