Mar 29, 2024, 05:41 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Warmcanofcoke's Tardis Shed

Started by warmcanofcoke, Apr 13, 2012, 09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Nov 17, 2012, 09:11 pm #120 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017, 02:49 am by warmcanofcoke
I now have 40 new red Paddle switches. I had 2 recycled Black ones that are a matching size from a previous salvage operation.
I understand I'm supposed to have 27 Red, 15 Black, and 12 White for the Five Doctors Tardis Console.
Specification : On-On 3P, SPDT, 2A 250VAC, 5A 120VAC
Outside dimension : 19.8x15.7x34.8 mm(max), LxWxH
Mounting hole : 15.7x12.7mm, LxW
Safety : UL
RoHS : Yes
IMG_0651A.jpg

T80-R.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Just started making the heart of the time rotor.
IMG_0660A.jpg
IMG_0661A.jpg
IMG_0662A.jpg
IMG_0663A.jpg
Trying to smooth the rough edges with Sandpaper.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 13, 2013, 11:10 pm #122 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 10:29 pm by warmcanofcoke
I haven't felt very well today - I had a bruised knee, I'm feeling tired, have had lack of sleep, I feel like I might be coming down with something - a friend of mine isn't speaking to me for some reason and won't tell me what the reason might be - and for some reason I totally thought I was inadvertently rude to an awesome member here at the forum.  ... and  jellybaby has been totally cool and laid me fears to rest.

So - that happened.

I'm experimenting with some custom Wallpaper - as something that might make my building a Tardis interior of my own.

I'm trying to make walls that look like these:
2 wall
Tardis2Wall_zpsc6860c1e.jpg
3 wall
Tardis3Wall_zps9d9e3a11.jpg
4 wall
Tardis4Wall_zps0d005023.jpg

My first experimental test wall papers wood wall and grey wall
in sunlight
SunLight_zps4ff18341.jpg
With indirect light
indirectlight_zpsdffd52af.jpg
Combination of indirect light and soft electric lighting
mixedlight_zpsce81be02.jpg

My Revised 19.5" roundel wall paper with guides to lay the next set of roundels in sequence.
WallPaper2_zpsc6c16193.jpg
Master style:
masterTardiswalls_zpsdd064cc2.jpg
wood style
woodwalls_zpsb98d4d9c.jpg
2013 wall in various colors (just for fun)
newwalls2_zps83f728ba.jpg

So I'm going to go out tonight and see some friends and eel better in the morning.

jellybaby was cool enough to suggest that I make a wall with holes so that the wall paper is recessed. I really like that Idea. I could put the wall paper onto clear plastic and have the roundels illuminated.

mobius

that might make a nice desktop background, computer wallpaper. :) nicely done btw.
It's always a matter of time...

warmcanofcoke

Jan 14, 2013, 02:36 pm #124 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013, 03:10 pm by warmcanofcoke
The 2013 Pattern? What color do you want it in? And what is the resolution of your screen? The BBC uses 640 by 480 / 800 by 600 / 1024 by 768 on their website.

timewomble

Thanks for that! The old series roundels, 4 wide, makes a lovely wallpaper for my iPad and works in either orientation. :-)

jellybaby

Great to see these designs back on line ;)

mobius

Jan 15, 2013, 02:40 am #127 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 02:55 am by mobius
tardis wallpaper.jpg
I photoshopped it together with a "door" in the middle. could put some columns in I spoze. enjoying it as my desktop pc's wallpaper, thanks! (hope that's ok! )
It's always a matter of time...

warmcanofcoke

Jan 15, 2013, 03:18 am #128 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017, 02:54 am by warmcanofcoke
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3335.msg38033#msg38033

IMG_2246A_zpsf14abd43.jpg
I have cut a piece of transparent plastic to the dimensions of 71" x 30" I have an additional piece I can cut two 22.5" in diameter circles out of.
I have a heat gun.

I'm going to make a time column.

edit- For the last several days I have been bending the perspex between two chairs. I have been running the heat gun along the inside curve. It is my plan to get the plastic to develop a memory. I'm getting the plastic used to the bend before I have to bend it some more.
IMG_2349A_zps49ba7e31.jpg
IMG_2350A_zpse6da246a.jpg

warmcanofcoke

galacticprobe

Jan 15, 2013, 05:52 am #130 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Nate, I may have asked this before, but I can't find it by searching the posts: where are you getting all of that magnificent plexi? :o (My source of "freebies" dried up not long after I retired from the military, and all of my buddies transferred out of the shop that gladly gave me their plexi cast-offs :(, though granted most of those cast-offs were about a foot square, usually smaller.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Jan 15, 2013, 01:49 pm #131 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 02:05 pm by warmcanofcoke
I am fortunate enough to live next to the most wasteful sign shop of all time. I think it is run by an organization called Hill Side. They teach trouble children and adults a trade. One particular evening they were throwing out tons of this stuff in clear, red, white, green, blue, black etc. I waited till my buddy with a pickup truck got out of work and went bin diving that evening. Interestingly enough we had competition - an old man that spoke little English - I think he was Italian. In broken English we found out that he had a friend in the sign shop that had told him about these cast offs. (most of the sheets start out at about 98" x 48")  He wanted all the red opaque plastic for his sun room. I wanted the red plastic for a Tardis console. I managed to get a few sheets. But The old man got the blue plastic in return. I often return to that dumpster - but while the dumpster is always full of useful things a model maker would want, I have yet to find as good a haul as that particular night.

galacticprobe

Jan 15, 2013, 03:10 pm #132 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 03:10 pm by galacticprobe
I wish I lived closer to where you live... wherever that is. ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 pm #133 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 04:07 pm by warmcanofcoke
I live in Rochester NY but you may not have to go all that far - Is there a college town near where you live? A town with more than one university. Those places usually have a lot more industry and consequently more useful things in their garbage - now I'm starting to round like a connoisseur of rubbish  ::) :P

I have been to many universities on fact finding missions and you often find that some extra large piece of equipment with a thousand switches ends up in the science department dumpster- but you will find more sign shops and places where they throw out cardboard tubes and other useful Tardis parts. The Streets are paved with gold.  :P

My town has Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, and Xerox but who knows how long that will last....

galacticprobe

Jan 16, 2013, 06:07 am #134 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013, 06:16 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 pm
I live in Rochester NY but you may not have to go all that far

From Virginia Beach, VA? Yeah... that's a bit far. However I do have a good friend living in Fishkill; he's a lot closer. I think I'll call in a favor or two. (He owes me... I've helped him escape the Principal's Office many times while we were in school. :) Trust me; don't ask. :P)

- now I'm starting to round like a connoisseur of rubbish  ::) :P

And the problem there is...? NOTHING! ;D

Is there a college town near where you live? A town with more than one university.

Several. Problem is not many sign shops. When I was in the military we needed to have signs made in-house at the Carpenter or Boat Shop because they had the equipment and could order plexi whenever needed, and those were the now-transferred friends I made. (When I was restoring that old skiff for that historic house back n '09, I was scrounging wood scraps and cast-offs from the Carpenter Shop so often the supervisor nicknamed me "Termite"!)

In the local private sector there's only one sigh shop, and they work strictly with tempered/safety glass - nothing plexi. Why, is beyond me. And as far as those universities go, they don't toss much - using up every scrap they can until it's literally too small to be of use to anyone, and then they haul what's left to a recycling place. Honestly, I can't blame them they way their budgets are being cut while their bills are still going up. Although, I do have a friend who teaches in the city's high school system. And I know many of the staff owe him huge favors (again, don't ask). I think I'll give him a yell and see what he can get out of the Shop Class teacher. (See, I may babble on sometimes, but that's usually when someone's suggestions strike an idea in my old "little grey cells".)

Thanks, Nate!
Dino.