Apr 18, 2024, 08:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Recommended Dimensions

Started by robhowdle, Apr 05, 2012, 04:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

robhowdle

Hey all

for my console I am going for a standard 4 panel approach. These panels however will be in the shape of a coffin. Don't ask why I just have it planned out in my head and it looks super cool :P

what are recommended dimensions for a normal console as I'm struggling a bit with marking out how big I want mine. If there are like standard sizes could somebody pass them on and I can alter them to fit my design :)

Merci!

Rob
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

timegalaxy5

here is kind of a plan of how my console is, hope this helps
console layout.PNG

hope it helps ;)

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

robhowdle

Just trying to get my units correct, 3' = 3 Meters and 6" = 6 inches yes?

Other than that that is brilliant :D

Thank you!!

Rob
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

galacticprobe

Apr 06, 2012, 06:28 am #3 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2013, 10:32 pm by galacticprobe
The dual " is used for inches, and the single ' is used for feet. I think it's just m for meters and cm for centimeters.

As for dimensions of a "normal" console, do you mean a full-size replica? If so there are several versions and you'll find many discussions on them here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=26.0, and the dimensions are discussed in detail on some of them.

The TV Movie console at its widest was 6 feet. (See the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3413.msg37434#msg37434 article on that one.)

The New Series 2005 console was 6 feet in diameter (I believe not counting the ribs, just the outer edge of the rim). I'm not sure about the latest 2010 console, but it looks like it's closer to its Classic Series counterparts. A little narrower, maybe.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timewomble

Quote from: robhowdle on Apr 05, 2012, 04:49 pm
for my console I am going for a standard 4 panel approach. These panels however will be in the shape of a coffin.

So you're building a Silence Tardis? Excellent. :-)

Inside_timeship.jpg

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 06, 2012, 06:28 am
The dual " is used for inches, and the single ' is used for feet. I think it's just m for meters and cm for centimeters.

As for dimensions of a "normal" console, do you mean a full-size replica? If so there are several versions:

Classic Series - (According to Scarfwearer's excellent plans) All of the main consoles, at their widest points, were 92 inches - pretty much 7 feet 8 inches. The Season 14 wooden console was 40 inches at its widest. The "Five Doctors" console was just a little narrower than the other main consoles at 91.33 inches.

Dino.

Ah, not quite correct there Dino - the Hartnell version was 84" across (each panel being 42" wide). According to Mike Kelt's drawing, the rebuilt console introduced in Pertwee's second series was 92 inches across (each panel being 46" wide) and re-utilised virtually all the existing controls.

The second console remained in use up to the Five Doctors when Mr Kelt re-designed the entire thing from scratch. The Five Doctor's console was the same overall width as the Pertwee version but the slope of the control panels was steeper than either the Hartnell or Pertwee versions.

I've been told - but I don't know - that the current console has the same overall panel proportions as the Pertwee version.

Tony

galacticprobe

Oct 29, 2013, 10:21 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2013, 10:26 pm by galacticprobe
Ah, Tony; that post of mine was before we had that huge discussion on the consoles' dims, in which you and others made excellent extrapolations to determine the proper (or as close to as proper) dims. I couldn't argue that research. (In my post that you quoted above, at the time I was just working off scarfwearer's plans from his web site, and I think also posted here. But that was just over 18 months ago!)

I'd forgotten about that post until now. (I think it's time for me to edit the thing. I'll be pulling those old dims off, so, if you don't mind, you may want to edit yours to remove my "quote", since after I edit mine it will no longer apply.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"