Apr 16, 2024, 10:11 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Google Sketchup Console build

Started by robhowdle, Apr 04, 2012, 02:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

robhowdle

Hey all,

Working on a random console in google sketchup. I have encountered a problem however,  I have created pannels on my console however I cannot angle them. By that I mean I can only get them at 0 degrees, I cannot angle them so they are about 45 degrees up like on the classic console where they were slanted.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Rob
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

Mark

Apr 04, 2012, 06:42 pm #1 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2012, 06:44 pm by Mark
Hi Rob,

Not sure if there is an easier way but this is the way I did it.

Firstly the panel has to have a thickness which you can do with the "push Pull" tool.

In order to give the panel the 45' I had to make console panel temporarily square by adding a extra piece which can be removed later.
Capture.JPG
Then select the whole panel you wish to angle by using the pointer tool while left clicking and dragging over the panel. When all selected and the panel edge are blue either get the rotate tool from the toolbar (depends if you have customised it that way) or go to "tools" and scroll down the menu to "rotate"

This gives you a round protractor type thing that changes colour depending how it interacts with the model. You need to place this on the endpoint is where the temporary straight edge is, right near the panel base.

Capture2.JPG

Now move your curser right to the other end of the temporary straight edge and click again. Now when you move the curser up the angle will change. The change of angle is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. You can either click when you see 45' in the box or click any time and type 45' in the box, press enter and the panel should be done.

Hope this helps, bit long winded but hopefully clear?Capture3.JPG

robhowdle

Hi Mark,

That has helped a lot however I am not using squares, here is an image of my console and sadly I cannot seem to get the correct angles like you can on a square :(

console1.jpg
You make the whole of time and space your back yard and what do you have, a back yard... I can't see it anymore but you can, and when you see it I see it - Matt Smith, 11th Doctor

handofomega

I'm not sure where your problem is.   Whenever I make a console in Sketch-Up I don't have to account for angles, I just place the panels.  I start with a flat hexagonal table top, then make a smaller hexagon in the middle using the offset function.  This smaller hexagon is just a bit bigger than the clear time column.  I then use the push/pull function to raise this to a height of about 10 to 11 inches (I have been going by Scarfwearer's console drawings).  I then connect the corners of the smaller hexagon to the larger one and that produces the correct angle for the panels.   

robhowdle

Hmm I think I'll try that, thank you!

Rob

robhowdle

Hey all!

Went for a different approach!

Because I am learning 3D Modelling I attempted in Maya. Very Trick software to use. Everything is all higgledy piggldy at the moment and nothing is coloured yet.

He's a quick render.console render test.png

Rassilons Rod

Maya is awesome :)

I use it. Feel free to ask me for any tips and also, I recommend you check out http://forums.cgsociety.org/ for tips on using it.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

robhowdle

Console Light Test.png
On the top part of my console where it will go into my ceilling, I have put point lights on which will mutli-coloured and pulse into different colours which will shine on the time rotor.

What do you think?

Rob