Apr 18, 2024, 11:35 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

First Doctor replica props/costume

Started by celation, Apr 03, 2012, 08:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

celation

Apr 03, 2012, 08:54 pm Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 08:58 pm by celation

Here's a few items I finished making or collecting some time ago. Replicas of Hartnell's waistcoat; monocle; spectacles; ring and lastly pen torch.

hartnellProps.JPG

I made the waistcoat from scratch (an estimated 10,000 stitches of embroidery  :P ) and the ring was made from silver.

hartnellWaistcoat.JPG

Monocle and spectacles were bought. The pen torch is a recent addition, which is the same model used by Hartnell in Brink of Disaster. I've been searching for that one for some time...  ;D

I'm planning a second waistcoat of the later pattern used from Celestial Toymaker onwards at some point...

C.

mechanoid

Brilliant work! Lovely to see these lovely things! What a spot of luck with the pen. Where did you find it eventually?

Is there no end to your talents Celation? I mean embroidering 10,000 stitches! Respect!

Rassilons Rod

I am a particular fan of waistcoats in general, I love that this one has 4 pockets instead of just two :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Apr 04, 2012, 06:12 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2012, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
I'd kill for that waistcoat (if it wasn't illegal ;D). I had to have mine made from yellow fabric with black vertical stripes in groups of three because I couldn't find another fabric that came anywhere close.

Hartnell waistcoat... envy!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

I just re-read that. I didn't get first time that you made that waistcoat yourself! GREAT job! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

museumdave

Wow- That is a LOT of Embroidery!!!!

Very nice job...  I hope it fits like a dream.  Lovely bits as well did you do the ring your self?

Keep up the good work

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Apr 05, 2012, 12:31 am #6 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 12:33 am by galacticprobe
I love that ring as well. If you did make it yourself, do you have enough to make a build diary for it? Or at least give a write-up on how you went about it?

I've already got the spectacles - leftovers from my Civil War living history days.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

celation

Apr 05, 2012, 02:42 pm #7 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 02:45 pm by celation
Thanks folks.

The ring was 3D printed in silver from a model mesh, with a blue Swarovski crystal for the stone. Here's a closer look at the prototype:

ring1.jpg

Had to remake it when I found better reference pictures. The first one was slightly too big for me anyway...

C.

galacticprobe

Apr 06, 2012, 06:08 am #8 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2012, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
That's still a great work of art! (As well as a fine piece of jewelry.)

Dino.

markofrani

What a fantastic collection.
LOVE the torch. It is identical!!! Was that an Ebay find?
The 3d printed ring is beautiful.
The waistcoats are superb, but I hope they're not distracting you from your console build!

museumdave

Just admiring again your beautiful Items here.

In particular that stunning waist coat.

Can you please share what type of fabric you used as the base for the embroidery....
wonderful all so wonderful

cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

celation

Thanks Dave.  :)

The fabric is a cotton twill, I believe. If I was making it again, I'd choose a slightly larger weave than I used here.

I've also started on his subtly different Toymaker-onwards waistcoat - and for that I've used an upholstery fabric in a slightly darker off-white/beige colour.