News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Foam Core Model....Start.

Started by macros, Apr 29, 2005, 01:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TG

Jun 02, 2005, 09:56 pm #45 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:27 pm by scarfwearer
Back to the LEDs for a minute,
I think maplin have the same flashing LEDs (metronome)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=22544&doy=2m6
TG

macros

Jun 02, 2005, 10:44 pm #46 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:27 pm by scarfwearer
Hiya Timegirl,

Yep that is exactly the same thing. I verified the makers name on the circuit board and on the packaging "Velleman". If there are any difference's that may not be apparent the Model is: MK102

macros

Jun 02, 2005, 11:07 pm #47 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:28 pm by scarfwearer
Hiya Nik,

I enjoyed reading about your involvement here in the states with your Tardis prop. Makes me wonder if PBS might by chance pick up replaying the original series or starting the new series. I will check out your pics of your build soon. Sounds as though you have a good deal of build experience and hope you can share some of that with us here on the Tardis Rebuilders board.

My two cents on the new prop is....ummm....well....ahhh.....the same from when i first saw it.....dissapointed. I will leave it at that since most of the points i could bring up are already out there on other sites/ forums. I'm not here to convince anyone whats wrong or right with it....but i am sure i am right in saying everyones glad the series has restarted and that popularity for Dr Who is growing again for another generation  :D

nik

Jun 03, 2005, 02:26 am #48 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:28 pm by scarfwearer

Yeah, the series has experienced a much needed facelift in spite of how I feel about the tardis, both inside and out.

Being somewhat of a designer myself, I would have gone an entirely different direction with the interior. Oh well.

And yes, I'm glad to share my experience with anybody who needs it.

nik

Jun 03, 2005, 01:57 pm #49 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:28 pm by scarfwearer

I've just completed the roof section and can easily lift it with one hand, lamp included. Of course it's not an actual fresnel, just one of those porch lamps that looks sorta like a fresnel. I've discovered that these lamps covers also come in clear plastic, which would obviously be much lighter than glass.

Today I will finish dissassembling my old police box for materials, some of which will go into the new one.

And yes, I'm experiencing a pang of nostalgia since the old girl and I have been through many adventures together.

But the new one will be so much better in so many ways!

Of course I'll be salvaging the Yale lock from the old one; I still have a key that fits it, after all!

;D

macros

Jun 03, 2005, 06:35 pm #50 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:28 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Nik,

Good to hear you are progressing with your build. Must be handy to have parts to use for your newest build. Don't go loosing that key for the Yale lock!  ;D

freakstardis

Jun 03, 2005, 06:52 pm #51 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: Nik link=board=build&thread=1114736914&start=49#3 date=1117807057
I've just completed the roof section and can easily lift it with one hand, lamp included. Of course it's not an actual fresnel, just one of those porch lamps that looks sorta like a fresnel. I've discovered that these lamps covers also come in clear plastic, which would obviously be much lighter than glass.

The roof is the part that I am most afraid of, so kudos for getting yours done. All the angles just scare me. I'm thinking that before I start it I should buy stock in a wood putty company. I'm certainlly going to use enough of it!

macros

Jun 03, 2005, 06:58 pm #52 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:29 pm by scarfwearer
Ahhh......the dreaded roof section!! ;D I pondered the construction for a few days and just went ahead and started. Once i did start the idea's came straight too me. I did use filler for the joins on the angled edges for the peak part. Making sure they were staying flush while the filler did its job. The peak i constructed on my build isn't as high as some i have seen. Come to think of it.....i just didn't want to use too much filler for the joins.

macros

Jun 03, 2005, 07:32 pm #53 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:29 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Nik,

I cheacked out the pics you have hosted on the MSN site. Very kewl  ;D Yes that Foam Core you are using looks very interesting! I hope your Tardis wasn't among the items for sale that day! ;)

nik

Jun 04, 2005, 03:01 am #54 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:29 pm by scarfwearer

Yup, and even this last time building the roof the angle STILL wasnt perfect; I had to fine tune it by sanding it until it joined properly and even then - oh bugger it, I'm filling it with BONDO!

Of course any photos you see of mine where it's finished is the old wood one I've started dismantling for the new one.

I've got more photos of the old one I'll be posting soon so you can see the truly sorry shape it was in.

When the new one is complete, I'm sure two people will be able to carry it whole between them with no problem.

That's what I love about foamcore! The BBC could learn a thing or two from this old porp builder.

Till next time gents!

nik

Jun 04, 2005, 06:27 pm #55 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:29 pm by scarfwearer

Okay, she's all in pieces now. Mostly we talk about building a Tardis. So far mine has been a chronicle of demolishing one.

I would post photos here but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

In the meantime, take a look at what a tardis looks like coming apart here:

http://groups.msn.com/TheTARDISbuildersGuild/paulstardis.msnw?albumlist=2

Next: more photos of the new one coming together!

macros

Jun 05, 2005, 06:51 pm #56 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:29 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Nik,

The old build made quite a large wood pile from what i saw of the pictures. I guess thats what a full sized Tardis looks like when its be retired!

nik

Jun 06, 2005, 01:34 pm #57 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:30 pm by scarfwearer

One of the best parts of building in foamcore is the lack of nails. There may be a few screws, but this Tardis is being assembled mostly with hot-glue.

Anyone ever use hot-glue guns?

macros

Jun 12, 2005, 12:51 am #58 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:30 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Nik,

I might try hot glue on the next build. I used Elmer's glue on the last build and that seems fine. How long does it take for gun type glue to cure?

DoctorWho8

Apr 30, 2005, 03:01 pm #59 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:36 pm by scarfwearer
So you use this stuff:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz132/02c/
How do you cut it to make the panel and sign indentations?
Bill "the Doctor"