The Jason's 13th Doctor Console (panel 1 remodel complete!!)

Started by 13drwho, Mar 13, 2012, 02:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

I try to do a little work every night... sometimes I don't. Sometimes I do, but I screw things up. Last night I puttied the seams on the top section. Tonight I sanded it with a belt sander. It looks alright, but I may putty and sand it again to try to fix some flaws. The next step is to by the molding and fit around the hexagon. That should be pretty easy... then more putty and sanding. Take a look and let me know what you think.

console progress, top puttied and sanded.jpg

galacticprobe

May 03, 2012, 05:42 am #46 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:46 am by galacticprobe
Looking great so far. That's a wonderful filling and sanding job you've done.

I noticed you have little upside-down "U"-shaped cutouts in the inner hexagon, presumably for panel and column wiring. Are you planning to cut any holes in the "bulkheads" between the panels for any interconnecting wires? Or are you planning to just pass all of the wiring through that center hexagon? (And if so, how might that affect the column's fit and movement?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

My console will not have a moving time rotor. I just don't have the skill and the money. What I plan to do is have the lights flash in a pattern. Instead of lighting the whole time rotor all the time, I'm going to have sections of it light in a sequence. The rotor will sit on a small pedestal in that area to allow electronics for the rotor and everything else to sit below the rotor. The rotor will be removable with a series of screws to get at the electronics. The only electronics under the time rotor will be the terminal board to distribute power to the panels and the light board for the rotor itself.

galacticprobe

May 03, 2012, 07:55 pm #48 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:55 pm by galacticprobe
Okay! It sounds like you've thought everything through to the last detail very well. Now I'm really eager to see this console come to life!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

May 06, 2012, 11:18 pm #49 Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:19 pm by 13drwho
I didn't get as much done this weekend as I would have liked, but I did make a little progress. On the top section I sanded the outer edges of the hexagon to make everything flat to add the trim pieces.

I cut all six trim boards and placed the around the top section to check the fit. They're pretty good. The next step is to glue and screw the trim on... then more putty and sanding.

Here's a picture of the trim place around the top to get a sense of how it will fit. Take a look and let me know what you think.

console progress, top hexagon trim test fit.jpg

atomicgraph

wow that turned out great. you've got a very neat and tidy build. 

type55tardis

This looks like its going to be something special ,carry on the good work
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

museumdave

"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

13drwho

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I have been building this (in my head) since I was 16. Thanks to the internet (sites like this) I've been researching this for quite some time. I've designed circuit boards for other prop projects knowing that they would be in my TARDIS one day.

Anyway, no pictures today, but I did make a little progress. I sanded all the joints on the outer hexagon trim on the top section. The trim pieces didn't line up perfectly so this helped a lot. Tomorrow I will putty it again, then Thursday sand it all again. I'm hoping to prime it this weekend.

I am so proud, I am way ahead of my "schedule". I didn't expect to have what I have done until October. Now I'm hoping to be well into the panel design by then. Very, very exciting.

13drwho

I've been working pretty hard on the console and finally have some pictures from all that work. Since I last posted I sanded the top section. I was concerned about the putty staying in place so I decided I needed to put some kind of "sealing" coat over the whole thing.

My first thought was fiberglass resin, as I've worked with that a lot. I decided against that as it's really nasty to work with. I had a pretty crazy, stupid idea... naturally that's the one I went with. I used Elmer's wood glue as a brush on sealer. It took a couple days to dry, but it is very strong.

I sanded it in the hopes that paint would stick to it and I think it looks pretty good (at least as good as a coat of resin would have looked).

console progress, sealed and sanded.jpg

After that I put the first coat of primer on the underside of the console top. It really won't be seen unless someone gets under the console, but I really wanted to hide all the wood.

console progress, top first coat of primer.jpg

I hope to have the whole thing painted by the end of the month. Then I can take a day and bolt it all together. Finally after that I can start the fun part, designing the controls and time rotor. Take a look and let me know what you think!!!

galacticprobe

May 15, 2012, 05:20 am #55 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
This is coming along brilliantly. Those openings where the panels are going almost seem to be begging for 11th Doctor-style panels, with blinky lights under them. (Or 9th/10th Doctor-style diffused/textured panels, glowing away, or also with blinky lights.)

Did I ever mentioned that I love glowy things and blinky lights? ;D ;D ;D

Dino.

karsthotep

galaticprobe makes a good argument there for glowy things and blinky lights..but I have to ask...what exactly are you going to do for glowy things and blinky lights..I think that is the most important question.  
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

13drwho

I'm going for more of a classic console look, but there will be plenty of blinky lights. I am designing a generic light board that will be used for all the panels. The board will have LEDs that can be positioned differently for every panel. Each panel will also have a special function board to have a custom display, such as working bar graphs, electronic waveforms, ETC. The time rotor will have a unique light board that sequences.

I was also thinking of buying a digital picture frame and mounting it to look like a computer screen. I could load it with some custom graphics generated with Photoshop to give the illusion of a computer. That would save me a lot of effort of tearing a computer apart and finding ways to cram the pieces into my under-sized console. It would also be a lot cheaper than buying the components to build I computer to just run a screensaver.

So that's what I'm planning. Hopefully November 2013 I'll be able to post videos of it working!!!!

galacticprobe

May 16, 2012, 06:43 am #58 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:44 am by galacticprobe
Can you load a WMV onto one of those picture frames? If so, I've got a great 2005 console version file that cycles between Gallifreyan text-type graphics and a Gallifreyan number countdown, and back. So if that would work in one of those frames, and be set to loop, you'd have a moving screen graphic rather than just a changing one. Let me know if those frames can take WMVs and I can send you  the file (its size is about 21 MB).

Incidentally, M.D., if you're reading this and would like that WMV for your console's screen, well, you know what to do. ;)

Dino.

karsthotep

yes you actually can run a looped video on the picture frames, so for a high tech feel at a low tech cost it fits the bill perfectly.

karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"