The Jason's 13th Doctor Console (panel 1 remodel complete!!)

Started by 13drwho, Mar 13, 2012, 02:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Sep 17, 2012, 04:32 am #105 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 04:34 am by galacticprobe
Looking superb! And after seeing your take on a "Five Doctors" panel on a pre-"Five"-shaped console, I'm wishing the BBC Props guys had done the same thing: kept the pre-"Five Doctors" console shape, and just replaced the aging panels with the button-laden "Five Doctors" panels (even putting monitors on three of them, and giving it that "wedding cake" central column).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

Thank you for your kind words. I actually like the way that style of panel looks on my frame too. Despite working in multiple style panels, it's still going to be closest to the 4th Doctor console. I had a really crazy thought about the panels, and I kind of liked it...but I just couldn't bring myself to change the design that much. Still I think it's coming along well. Here's hoping.

warmcanofcoke

I was hoping for a Smith Panel - but still a wonderful build and sure to be fantastic!
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

I'm finally back to work on my console. I hope to have the third panel done before the years is over. I took October off to get some non TARDIS console things done, but I'm getting back to work. This weekend I thought I'd start easy. I made a few gadgets to glue to empty spaces on the console panels to make it look more technical. These were all made with found objects. I haven't decided what panels they will go on yet, but I'm sure they'll be used somewhere. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Miscellaneous Peices.jpg

galacticprobe

Nov 05, 2012, 05:49 am #109 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2012, 05:49 am by galacticprobe
I see some brass hose fittings on that silver plate (lower left), and a connector on it as well. (At least, I think it's a connector: large round thingy on the right side with the 4 "dots" inside it; I've seen connectors like it before.) I also see two heat sinks on the black rectangular plate (top left). Can't quite make out what that thing in between them is - photo is too small. Are those blue things inside the heat sinks variable resistors?

I have no idea what that black thing on the lower right of the photo is, or those things inside that silver oval (top right). (And is that silver oval a soap dish?) At any road, they all look like they'll make really great components on any panel they find a home on. Brilliant!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

13drwho

I'm finally making real progress on the console again. I took time off to make Christmas presents for friends and family so I had to put the console on hold. I was able to take almost two weeks of vacation around the holiday so once the presents were done I started working on panel three.

Panel three is inspired by the eighth Doctor TV Movie console. It will not be wood finished but it will have control elements from his console and a lot of "brass".

The main thing on this panel is the co-ordinate entry system. In the movie they were thumb-dials that rotated panels with destinations on them. I liked the basic idea but how could any of those multi-sided  panels have all the possible destinations. My idea was to use old thumb wheel numeric switches. It gives the illusion that you have to enter a long string of numbers to set the destination. Most of the time in the classic series when they discuss programing a course they use numeric co-ordinates.

So here is the rough layout. I hope to have the panel done by the end of January... what I feel is a realistic goal. Take a look and let me know what you think.

console progress, control panel three rough layout.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 31, 2012, 06:04 am #111 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013, 08:07 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: 13drwho on Dec 31, 2012, 04:06 am
My idea was to use old thumb wheel numeric switches. It gives the illusion that you have to enter a long string of numbers to set the destination.

Like the coordinate expansion factor for the planet Kastria: seven four three eight oh oh oh double-u eight I one two one two seven two seven two nine double-one E eight E X four one one one three zero nine eleven five. (Just make sure you don't enter them incorrectly, or symbolic resonance will occur in the trachoid time crystal, and if that happens, there'll be no chance of you landing anywhere, ever, ever, ever. ;))

Dino.

the mister

Sexy! Looks perfect, I wish you were giving it the wood finish :(

13drwho

Jan 13, 2013, 05:48 am #113 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 05:49 am by 13drwho
I have mostly finished Panel Three. The only thing left to do is wire the alternating flasher circuit to the two LED running lights. I think it looks really good. I really think it's the best so far.

Next I intend to build the time rotor. I already have most of the components and a design in mind. My thinking was that three panels and the time rotor would make it look like a complete console from the doorway. That takes a little pressure off if the console isn't 100% complete by Halloween... I can still get cool pictures.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

console progress, third panel complete.jpg

console progress, third panel placement test.jpgconsole progress, third panel placement closeup.jpg

warmcanofcoke

rocket

Very cool, once it's finished can I borrow for a few years?
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

galacticprobe

Jan 13, 2013, 07:29 am #116 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 07:30 am by galacticprobe
Looks absolutely fantastic! Two quick questions, though:

1 - What is that interesting gizmo in between the red and amber lights on that last panel photo (the brassy thing below the thumbwheel switches)?

2 - The middle set of photos... the one on the left... is K-9 lifting his leg on your console? :o ;)

Dino.

the mister

13drwho

Jan 15, 2013, 01:43 am #118 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 01:46 am by 13drwho
Warmcanofcoke and the mister: Thank you for the complements. It's nice to get some opinions. I'm single and most of my friends and family think I'm crazy.

Rocket: It's kind of hard to transport. I haven't been able to get the dimensional stabilizer or the gravitic anomlyzer working with the primitive Earth technology available in this time period... so I'm stranded.

Galacticprobe: Thank you for your praise. 1) The device in the middle of the console is some kind of small bayonet lamp holder. I bought it a long time ago thinking it would end up in some prop. I drilled holes to mount the LEDs along the top. The LEDs do the Knight Rider back and forth. 2) K-9 is getting old and he has a tendency to bump into the console. He caught his skirt on the lip of the console and I had to help him get loose. Silly dog.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 15, 2013, 03:33 am #119 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013, 03:34 am by warmcanofcoke
Trust me - things get better when you have a functioning Tardis - then companions will come out of the woodwork and tell you how cool it is. - you're only crazy when you are building one. After it's built people will tell you they wish they had one too.  ::)