Mar 01, 2024, 09:43 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tinkering_Timelord's First Doctor TARDIS Console

Started by tinkering_timelord, Jan 05, 2024, 12:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkering_timelord

Hey everyone! I'm back with another TARDIS build, this time I've decided to go with the original console from 1963.

og tardis.jpg

As with previous builds the first place I started was virtually, modelling the console in sketch-up using Tony Farrell's brilliantly researched plans of the Hartnell console.

1st Doctor's TARDIS console.jpg
1st Doctor's TARDIS console7.jpg
1st Doctor's TARDIS console8.jpg

The main thing that has kept me from building this console in the past was a lack of available space, after all the Hartnell console is 7 feet across at it's widest point, but as luck would have it I recently moved into a new apartment and the bedroom is *just* large enough to have the thing tucked away in a corner. I did have to opt for a twin sized bed in order to to fit it, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

I started off by getting some 3/4 inch plywood for the base of the plynth. I carefully measured out the diameter of the base, the internal supports, as well as the fins and marked it all out in pencil. (The cats Reggie and Eevee didn't really help, but they liked hanging out with me when I was working)

IMG_9186.JPG

I also bought some 3/4 inch and 5/8 inch particle board shelving for the internal supports, each cut to 29 1/2 inches.

IMG_9187.JPG

I used some angles to secure the vertical boards to the base.

IMG_9188.JPG

Here's where I started cutting everything to size and assembling.

IMG_9189.JPG
IMG_9196.JPG
IMG_9198.JPG
IMG_9269.jpg
IMG_9270.JPG

I plan on having little access hatches under panels 2, 4 and 6 like the one the Doctor opens to retrieve the fluid link. These were carefully cut using a router. I'll eventually have them covered with little doors and held closed with magnetic latches, but that's a ways away yet.

After saving up money I eventually bought 2 sheets of 3/4 inch x 4ft x 8ft plywood for the table top that supports the fascia and the panels and collar and all that and I got a sheet of 1/2 inch x 4ft x 8ft plywood for the panels themselves. I also got the boards I'll be using to make the front fascia, 3/4in 4in x 8ft pine. Here's where it starts looking like a TARDIS console!

IMG_9395.JPG
IMG_9396.JPG
IMG_9398.JPG

I've bought some of the components that will make up the TARDIS controls themselves and also made a few cardboard cutout stand-ins just to see how everything will fit on the panels. Here's some more pics with the dummy controls fitted and some of the plinth fins secured in place with painter's tape!

IMG_9469.JPG
IMG_9470.JPG
IMG_9471.JPG

Not too bad for 2 and a bit months of progress! I'll post more as I get money for more supplies and share some more details. Thanks for checking it out!

russellsuthern

This is looking amazing!
Can't wait to see more!
Regards,
Russell

tinkering_timelord

Quote from: russellsuthern on Jan 05, 2024, 09:40 amThis is looking amazing!
Can't wait to see more!
Regards,
Russell

Thanks so much! :D

ciderman

Looking great so far!! What are you using for your ping-pong lights?

tinkering_timelord

Quote from: ciderman on Jan 07, 2024, 05:57 pmLooking great so far!! What are you using for your ping-pong lights?

Thanks! I'm using some inch and a half transparent acrylic Christmas baubles from Amazon. You have to snap off a little tab on the edge, but that's easy enough to do.

IMG_9486.JPG

I'm still playing around with exactly how to do it, but I'm thinking about scratching up the inside with a rough grade sandpaper to get some texture and then adding a wash of dark brown paint to fill in the cracks and wipe away the excess, just to give it a marble like effect. Then I'll add some coats of a tan paint. Then all the you have to do for the outside is tape off half the dome with painter's tape and spray paint it with a gray primer/paint.

IMG_9484.JPG

For the actual bulbs I took a page of of Karsten's Kenneth sharp build diary and bought some 12v incandescent mini bulbs and a style E10 base. They have a nice warm glow to them that works better than LEDs, especially for getting that 60's TARDIS console vibe.

IMG_9485.JPG

Cardinal Hordriss

I've used those acrylic balls from Amazon on so many things lol.

I love console builds. This is looking fantastic already. I wish I'd had room for a full sized one but it took all my skill to build the one I did lol.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

13drwho

Really jealous!! It's looking great. I didn't have the space or the skill for a full size replica, so I made a scaled down "original design". It allowed me to take inspiration from all the classic consoles and work within my limited skills.

Great work, I look forward to the updates.

tinkering_timelord

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jan 09, 2024, 02:08 pmI've used those acrylic balls from Amazon on so many things lol.

I love console builds. This is looking fantastic already. I wish I'd had room for a full sized one but it took all my skill to build the one I did lol.

They are useful little things aren't they? lol and thanks! Hopefully you get the space to build a full scale, but smaller consoles can be great, I loved tricking out my previous build which was only about 3 feet across, and that was nice because it fit into my teeny childhood bedroom.

tinkering_timelord

Quote from: 13drwho on Jan 09, 2024, 04:42 pmReally jealous!! It's looking great. I didn't have the space or the skill for a full size replica, so I made a scaled down "original design". It allowed me to take inspiration from all the classic consoles and work within my limited skills.

Thanks! I'll have to check out your console. I really enjoy seeing people's custom TARDIS builds, especially when you see elements from multiple eras all mixed together.

As far as updates, I'm currently doing the tedious work of cutting the fins to size and gluing them into place. The support structure has a bit of uneven-ness to it, so each fin is a slightly different size and shape. I'm hoping once it's all caulked and sanded and painted no one will notice the mistakes. *fingers crossed*

ciderman

Quote from: tinkering_timelord on Jan 09, 2024, 08:08 pm
Quote from: 13drwho on Jan 09, 2024, 04:42 pmReally jealous!! It's looking great. I didn't have the space or the skill for a full size replica, so I made a scaled down "original design". It allowed me to take inspiration from all the classic consoles and work within my limited skills.

Thanks! I'll have to check out your console. I really enjoy seeing people's custom TARDIS builds, especially when you see elements from multiple eras all mixed together.

As far as updates, I'm currently doing the tedious work of cutting the fins to size and gluing them into place. The support structure has a bit of uneven-ness to it, so each fin is a slightly different size and shape. I'm hoping once it's all caulked and sanded and painted no one will notice the mistakes. *fingers crossed*
I'm currently making the fins on mine at the moment and they are a nightmare as each one is different due to the discrepancies. Looking forward to more pics and your progress!!