Apr 25, 2024, 06:23 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Zbigniev's Model TARDIS (finished!)

Started by zbigniev hamson, Jun 13, 2008, 12:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zbigniev hamson

Jun 13, 2008, 12:50 am Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:10 pm by Scarfwearer
Well... I've finally decided to bite the bullet and move from 3D polygons to wood. It's not really practical to build a full-sized version unfortunately (maybe one day) so I've decided to build an approximately 1/6th scale model as this seems to be about the best size for keeping CDs in :)

It's going to be an early-seventies Brachacki box, pretty much like the one I made in Sketchup...

theplan.jpg

although I'm not sure whether to go with the lighter blue look or the darker blue from the early Pertwee/Troughton days.

I'm currently doing ANOTHER Sketchup model, but this time in terms of individual bits of wood to check the actual construction design. Then I'll be ordering the wood cut to spec from a modelling website.

I'm still thinking how to handle the doors. Obviously I want them to open inwards like on the prop, but also for practical purposes of being able to use it for storage, I'd also like them to be able to open outwards. I'm currently thinking the doors could be "hinged" with a small piece of dowelling into the base, allowing them to swing all ways, rather than using proper hinges.

Also... it's probably a bit early to start this thread seeing as I haven't even ordered the wood or finished the plans yet, but I thought that starting this thread now might spur me on :)

Rassilons Rod

Oct 23, 2008, 11:39 pm #1 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 03:11 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rox board=build thread=779 post=17698 time=1224770801Hmm.  Actually I've spotted a problem...  Your lantern is perfectly aligned, and straight up, whereas the full size prop seems to have it at a jaunty angle...  :D  ;D

;D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Jun 13, 2008, 02:28 am #2 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:30 pm by scarfwearer
Purple can probably advise you about the hinges as he worked with (I think) Cod Steaks on their 80's TARDIS, on which the doors open both ways.
Bill Rudloff

avadh

Jun 13, 2008, 08:16 pm #3 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:30 pm by scarfwearer
Great work so far.

rizla

Jun 14, 2008, 06:34 am #4 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:31 pm by scarfwearer
Looks cool!

Rassilons Rod

Jun 14, 2008, 08:36 am #5 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:31 pm by scarfwearer
Jesus, I didn't realise sketchup was THAT good! :)

Good luck with your build :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

zbigniev hamson

Jun 14, 2008, 01:58 pm #6 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:31 pm by scarfwearer
Well my plan for the doors is to have them hinged on a stub of dowelling at the top and the bottom of the door, with a corresponding hole in the base and the woodblock above the doorway. The hinge-sides of the doors will be backed with half-round dowel (or maybe just sanded round) so that they can open inwards without bumping into the corner posts. Hopefully that makes sense; if not maybe the following (less pretty, but functional) Sketchup pictures will illustrate what I mean.

If anyone can spot any glaringly obvious problems with this plan it would be a great help to hear it at this stage :)

model1.jpg

model2.jpg

model3.jpg

model4.jpg

zbigniev hamson

Jun 14, 2008, 02:31 pm #7 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:31 pm by scarfwearer
Actually I've already realised that, as the holes are positioned now, that won't actually allow the doors to open outwards, which was the whole point! Not sure what I was thinking there.

If I'm going to do it this way I'll have to move the holes across so that the edge of the hole, rather than the centre, is parallel to the corner post. This would mean that the curved part of the door will be visible even when the doors are closed. This might not be too bad, but I'd have to make the corner posts go back a little further into the box to avoid a visible gap

zbigniev hamson

Jun 14, 2008, 03:49 pm #8 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:31 pm by scarfwearer
Okay well here is the amended plan with hole moved across slightly and an extra piece of wood put in to cover the visible gap...

model5.jpg

When the (now also slightly smaller) door goes in place it now leaves a little rounded edge still visible...

model6.jpg

But this isn't as noticeable as I'd thought and allows the door to swing both ways. As it were. I can't really think of any better way to achieve this, especially not on this scale (that dowel hole will be 3mm across).

DoctorWho8

Jun 14, 2008, 05:07 pm #9 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:32 pm by scarfwearer
Did you get the idea from the Dapol TARDIS?  If not, then you have the same door structure as it does.  Now, what about the door stopping pins at the top of the door frame, are you leaving those off since the doors will be bi-directional?  Looking pretty sweet so far.
Bill Rudloff

zbigniev hamson

Jun 14, 2008, 05:53 pm #10 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:32 pm by scarfwearer
No I didn't get the idea from the Dapol TARDIS (unless it was sbliminally), I just couldn't really think of any other simple way to have the doors opening both ways. I'd thought of some complicated method involving the doors being hinged to an extra thin piece of wood, which was itself hinged the opposite way to the door post, but I never really liked that idea and certainly wouldn't want to do it on this scale.

As for the door stops... well I want to have these on because I really like the look. But they're going to have to be removable in some way. Perhaps they could have pins/nails glued to the rear side to allow them to be slid in and out of the steps above the doors.

zbigniev hamson

Jun 16, 2008, 05:23 pm #11 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:32 pm by scarfwearer
Not particularly exciting, but I managed to find some strips of wood in B&Q that pretty much matched my design for parts of the corner post (they're 1mm out, which may not be a problem or may need sanding/planing later). So I now have some corner post bits...

model7.jpg

model8.jpg

rizla

Jun 16, 2008, 08:07 pm #12 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:32 pm by scarfwearer
Excellent! Great to get the wood in your hands. If you're anything like me you'll not be able to wait! Good Luck!  :D

zbigniev hamson

Jun 17, 2008, 04:52 pm #13 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:33 pm by scarfwearer
Made a start on the walls and doors today. These are made from some hardboard that was lying around and is the right thickness, hopefully that will be suitable. If not I may have to make them again later out of hardwood. Just got as far as cutting out the basic shapes and marking on the panel areas to be cut out. Not much to look at yet, but here they are (along with a cat for scale).

model9.jpg

model10.jpg

zbigniev hamson

Jun 18, 2008, 04:53 pm #14 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:33 pm by scarfwearer
After a trip to a model shop today I now have enough material to make about 90% of the TARDIS, I just need to get on with the sawing now :)

My list of materials is now hardwood (of an unspecified variety), hardboard, plywood, balsa, beech, and plastic, so quite a mixed bag.