Apr 27, 2024, 05:11 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Controls In Pedestal

Started by stiki, Feb 13, 2012, 09:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stiki

Hello,

Does anyone have any clear references for the instrumentation that is seen within the pedestal of the console.

There is a sequence in "Inferno" where Liz Shaw is working on a piece of equipment that is later stored there, but I'm looking for a clear shot of exactly what is in the hatch.
Thanks for your help,
Ian

N39b.jpg

kert gantry

Feb 13, 2012, 11:08 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 11:57 pm by kert gantry
I'm interested in this too, as I'd like to have some circuitry visible in the base of my model console.

So far, your pic is the only one I've seen which gives a reasonably close view inside that particular hatch.  It looks to me like a fairly shallow recess, filled with the sort of random jumble of electronic parts that Shawcraft would add to props to make them look more 'busy'.  This hatch had a cover, apparently hinged at the bottom, in The Edge of Destruction, but that seems to have gone quite quickly.

There is also a close-up shot of an open hatch in Wheel in Space ep. 1 (see 'Photonovels' on the official BBC Doctor Who site), though due to the nature of the off-screen snap used it's a little fuzzy.  Can't decide if it's the same interior as pictured above - there's certainly a similar small disc-like element visible.  

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think three alternate sides of the original base had openings in them?  Here's one of the others, from Masterplan; a very crudely cut hole with the empty interior of the plinth visible. The same hatch has become a small cupboard which houses the Emergency Unit in The Mind Robber, by which time a simple hinged door has been fitted.

masterhatch (2).jpg

stiki

Pedestal Controls.jpg

Many thanks for the reference "Kert".
It certainly looks like the same panel although the contents appear to be arranged differently.
I have managed to find a couple more shots on "The Web Planet" DVD Photo Album but these don't add much...

PedestalControls2.jpg

PedestalControls3.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 14, 2012, 09:01 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012, 09:03 am by galacticprobe
Are you just interested in the early console ("Inferno" and earlier)? There's a few good shots of the controls in the console's base in "Invasion of Time", when K-9 is interfacing with the TARDIS systems. I think I've got some screen grabs somewhere if those would help.

Also, some of what is in these photos looks like it could be part of the mechanics that move the column up and down. It looks interesting, so it works well if the panel is left open.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

stiki

Hey "Dino" thanks for your reply.

I'm really after references for the original console last seen in "Inferno", but it would be interesting to see "The Invasion of Time" grabs too....

Rassilons Rod

In my opinion, it looks rather like some sort of tape deck mechanism.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Feb 20, 2012, 03:38 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 03:45 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: stiki on Feb 14, 2012, 09:28 am
Hey "Dino" thanks for your reply.

I'm really after references for the original console last seen in "Inferno", but it would be interesting to see "The Invasion of Time" grabs too....

Sorry it's taken so long to get these posted, but I had to dig through my 'Who' folders to find them. (I really need to organize them a bit better. :P)

Anyway, these are the two best images, showing the most details, of the console base's "innards" from "Invasion of Time".
Late70s23.JPG

Late70s24.JPG

Of course this interior changed again in "Timeflight" when rather than a panel of this sort, the base's innards became more like multi-shelf circuit board slots (what we in the electronics field call a VME Card Cage). But I think the little circuit boards and blinky lights of the "Invasion of Time" console base looks much more fun.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"