Apr 16, 2024, 09:19 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:8.47 Newbery Model

Started by lespaceplie, Jan 22, 2012, 02:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Okay. This project is being totally reworked, but it seemed needless to start a new thread. A Newbery box is still being made, but it's not a styrene affair now. It's mostly a laser cut acrylic construction with some 90 degree strips laid in for the door panel bevels. It's also moving up to a weird scale of 1:8.47 - pretty much what happens when you build 3mm to the inch.

In a typically infamous move, other projects are being put on hold to work on the new one.

lespaceplie

Jul 10, 2018, 09:36 pm #31 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2018, 09:38 pm by lespaceplie
The model is back in play after some revisions to the plans (online PDF updated as well). These laser cut strips turned out great. Though the actual prop didn't have lighted signs, the white base plastic can be backlit. The black layer is thin but sufficiently opaque. Ponoko also has this plastic in blue, which might be suitable for the TY-J.

Also, please ignore previous diagrams in this thread. Greater accuracy and construction has happened since.

sign strips.jpg

galacticprobe

Jul 11, 2018, 06:24 am #32 Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018, 06:24 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: lespaceplie on Jul 10, 2018, 09:36 pm
The model is back in play after some revisions to the plans (online PDF updated as well).

Lespaceplie, I'm guessing this PDF is the same one that I've got the link to in my http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6011.0 post (PDF link: Newbery TARDIS)?

If it's different please let me know so I can update it in that post.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

karsthotep

Quote from: lespaceplie on Jan 28, 2012, 11:13 pm
Thanks to IKEA, I have some flexible lighting to run behind the signs. With a diffuser strip in place, this should illuminate the lettering fairly evenly. The tube is long enough to make 3 passes into each sign box.

glansa.jpg

Take some pictures when you get this in place, I was thinking of doing that exact same thing with my full size sign boxes and their strip lights, I'd love to see the end result.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

lespaceplie

Jul 11, 2018, 02:45 pm #34 Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018, 02:47 pm by lespaceplie
The PDF has been updated, but it's in the same location. The date is included on the diagram itself to avoid confusion. Though it has better accuracy, it is still somewhat streamlined for inches and doesn't address the differences between the front panels and the sides, but that's for another thread.

Regarding the lighting, I still have that one, but I'll be looking for some white EL wire to replace it. It's much easier to find now.

lespaceplie

A little more progress...

styrene window progress.jpg

lespaceplie

I wouldn't count on it getting painted (it's snowing right now!), but this long project will otherwise be wrapped before the end of the year. Six years on and off, well, happened.

The lintel boxes are being re-engineered due to being too delicate on the first go. Apart from that, the wrinkles have been ironed out enough in this project to possibly share the files and steps.

newbery progress.jpg