Started by doctorwhoross, Jan 07, 2012, 10:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorwhoross

Jan 07, 2012, 10:18 am Last Edit: Jan 17, 2013, 12:47 pm by Scarfwearer
DSCF8271.JPG

doctorwhoross

Jan 07, 2012, 10:20 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012, 10:27 am by doctorwhoross
DSCF8274.JPGDSCF8275.JPGDSCF8277.JPG

The design situation for the doors I thought was genius!! If you have any questions, go ahead and ask me :)

doctorwhoross

Jan 07, 2012, 10:23 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2012, 11:13 am by doctorwhoross
DSCF8278.JPGDSCF8279.JPGDSCF8285.JPGDSCF8287.JPG

I started painting the box. I applied a primer first so the cardboard would not soak up the paint. I would like to thank lorisarvendu for his help and advice.

doctorwhoross

Jan 07, 2012, 10:29 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012, 06:23 pm by doctorwhoross
DSCF8306.JPG

This is what the base looks like.DSCF8310.JPGDSCF8312.JPGDSCF8313.JPG

Close up of the door handle. I used a paper clip to create this effect and the result is brilliant. I recommend using paper clips for handles. They are life savers as I am able to close the door. I will be painting the handle silver so don't worry about the mistake of it being blue for the moment! The box is a work in progress. I have just finished building the base and soon I will applying the paint. The writing on the left panel has some paint but I have a spare one! Some places on the box need a touch more paint. The lock on the left door is a trusty screw :P

lorisarvendu

Thanks for the thanks. Very nice looking build.  It's so tall and thin the Brachacki box isn't it? To some fans brought up on the Hartnell era today's TARDIS must look so fat to them.

I'd love a closeup of that handle if you can manage it.  And don't forget to get the correct St. John sign from this thread:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1123.0

doctorwhoross

No problem. If it wasn't for you the model may have looked like the first one I did :P. Yeah its quite tall. The RTD and Moffat box's are the chunky ones. They are huge boxes!! Cheers for the link. I didn't know There were different St. John signs.

lorisarvendu

Yup, it was pointed out to me that my recent "Cushing" box had the wrong sign, something I have now rectified.  I've also amended my Brachaki model with this sign now, to match the really simplistic one from the original series:

Pict0128.jpg

doctorwhoross

Interesting. Is that your box your using as an example?

lorisarvendu

doctorwhoross

Any ideas for what I could use as the lamp?

Mark

very nice work.

What are you using for the construction?

I'm using 1.5mm mounting card and even at 1/4 scale I'm finding some parts of my construction quite fiddly so hats off to you with a 1:10 version!

As for the lamp, are you going for the early version i.e. Hartnell with Fresnell lamp or later?

Not sure scale wise but maybe the shaft from a clear Bic ball point pen or perhaps just use some clear acetate sheet. If you want fresnell rings with the acetate just draw them in thin marker then wrap the sheet into a tube.

Might work?

doctorwhoross

Thanks very much :). Yeah I am using 1.5mm mount board I got from an art shop. I am using cereal boxes for thinner parts and then sandwiching pieces together for certain areas like the four posts/columns. I am just thinking you may be best using wood instead because of the thickness of the walls on that scale rather then using mount board which is better for small models. I imagine you are having to make many layers to get the thickness of the sections right but forgive me if I am wrong. For a model of that size I would think wood or plastic would be stronger. I hope your model turns out well and go for it! :)

Yeah I hope to go for the early Hartnell lamp as I am trying to get the model as accurate as I can to the original. I shall scavenge around and see what I can collect to create the effect.

doctorwhoross

DSCF8320.JPGDSCF8324.JPGDSCF8327.JPGDSCF8329.JPG

Well we are getting there slowely...;)

Mark

You are right, some things are built up with layers but other things are made using cut pieces. Anything over 5mm is cut rather than layered, if you know what I mean.

You better be careful, your nearly finished TARDIS seems to be getting attacked by Daleks!

lorisarvendu