Mar 29, 2024, 09:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console Rebuild

Started by timegalaxy5, Nov 29, 2011, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timegalaxy5

hey all, just a bit of an update, yesterday I cut most of the mechanics for the levers and next week I should be finishing up all that and will be installing them into the two panels that are like the old console. Also should be next week putting together the other half of the console, that is, if I get the levers installed. Well apart from what I did yesterday, here are my two main and cool levers that will be on the arms of the console, the one on the right will be painted like the coral of the David Tennant console, but the other will be just left how it is.
IMG_0469.JPG
and here is the other new lever that I made.
This, I used gesso and with large amounts, just globbed it on and textured it with the brush.
I will eventually get two different colors of paint and paint this to look like the coral theme.
also, with this lever, I tried to blend the main lever on the Tennant console with the red levers on the Matt console  ;)
IMG_0470.JPG

So hope you all like what I am doing and hope to next week be actually posting up some pictures of the levers.  ;D

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

the mister

timegalaxy5

warmcanofcoke

it is a brilliant idea to make your own Morse Controls / motorboat controls. =D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

timegalaxy5

hey all, well today i started on really actually making some of the mechanics for the lever boxes on two of the panels and next week should be actually making the other parts and cutting the rods and seeing how it all fits. Well, I also took some of those little cable holder things from that box with the volt meters and installed them on a panel, and also, I was looking at some of my scrap pieces and noticed that I had two big circles, and two smaller ones and that was perfect for another panel. Well also another thing, I did bring my camera, but when I tried to turn it on it said change batteries, so I was forced by myself to take a picture with my phone. Sorry about the quality for the picture, my phone is mid-old so yeah

console pic-bads.png

Tell me what you all think  ;)

TG5

galacticprobe

Apr 19, 2012, 06:13 am #80 Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
A mix of old, new, and original designs rolled into one console. I'm very interested to see how this comes together.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timegalaxy5

hey all, just thought I would show you all this, as a teaser I suppose,
I had looked up on line, "Victorian Designs" and so I drew the ones I liked, and then I found my wood burner and this is what follows

IMG_0471.JPG

Just a bit of an idea I thought I would use these on like the edges and corners and around some of the levers and things on my console...
I feel as though all of history is happening at once on my console :)

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 19, 2012, 06:13 am
A mix of old, new, and original designs rolled into one console. I'm very interested to see how this comes together.

Dino.

I'm interested to see how it comes together as well ;) ;) ;) I have to wait just as much as anyone else ha ha

TG5

timegalaxy5

hey all,
well I went to the zoo in Clovis Mexico, then went to a train museum, then someone yelled out, "HEY YOU GUYS! lets go to that antique store downtown!" so we went there. Oh I should mention I got an insulator at the train museum gift shop, and at the antique store, I got two more insulators and also, wait forrrrrrr it!!! An old bicycle pump  ;D
here are pictures I took with a camera from the future  :o just kidding  ;)
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
Just some more stuff, I plan two make the insulators look like the one that you find on that console if you type in on google images, steampunk tardis console, like those....

well I hope to be posting on Wednesday or Thursday my progress from well I guess that Wednesday, of me hopefully installing some of the levers in the panels, the levers like on the older console....

well till then all :D

TG5

the mister

doing those patterns on the console is a great idea, would make it really interesting and unique. kinda legendary.

timegalaxy5

hey all, well today i didnt really get anything done, beside the only actual thing was getting the rods for the levers cut..hope to get the lever housings installed next week, more to come eventually

TG5

timegalaxy5

hey all, again, well I have enough money to get some more sheets of ply for the base of the console. I had a good idea for the measurements and everything for it, it needed to be 3 foot high, because I had a measurement on myself the other day on how tall I was and I am 6ft 7in, so yeah, its three foot high and the base is four foot wide, so also here is the plans I got over from sketch up, its such an awesome tool and I am getting better at using it for things like this...
the base....
Capture.PNG
and the plywood layout, I will print it out and put all the
necessary measurements and numbers on it then..
plywood layout4base.PNG

well, I should be getting the ply next week and should be starting on it, its hardly all the complex cuts of the other stuff I did on the console, so I should just be able to cut everything out rather in the one day then cutting some, then having to wait a whole other week to cut the rest...
so tell me what you all think, and anything I might do for reinforcements on it  ;)

TG5

13drwho

It looks good. I modeled mine in SolidWorks. Have you considered how you'll get it through doorways? On mine the base is two sections and the top is another section.

timegalaxy5

Quote from: 13drwho on Apr 27, 2012, 12:04 am
It looks good. I modeled mine in SolidWorks. Have you considered how you'll get it through doorways? On mine the base is two sections and the top is another section.

actually yes, I did consider that early on. The base will be in two halves, I had noted this looking at Scarfwearer's site, that he said that he wished he built the base in two halves and that it did not fit through most doorways. The base IS in two halves or I guess it will be and the console is in two halves, being three foot wide on the console halves, it fits through doorways. The base is four foot wide and in the halves it will only be two foot wide.  ;) ;)

timegalaxy5

hey all, well i was looking through my design for the base in google sketch up and thought, what would it look like with the stain color and if it had borders on the panels? so after about fifteen to twenty minutes, i came up with this, i hope to actually make it look like this later on
Capturewe.PNG
so tell me watcha think, and if you have any suggestions for the base as to it looking differently

TG5

timegalaxy5

hey all, well yesterday I mostly got a lot done. I finished the half one and took it back to my garage and by finished, meaning everything is fixed on it that can be with screws. Half two is also assembled as the other half of the console, next week I should be going to get the two sheets of plywood for the base and also next week I should be cutting the wood for the base and assembling that as well. So anyways, I got half one in my garage and I spent about three hours staining the wood this morning,
take a look
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
well, tell me what you all think,
I still have to do the wood burning on those
blank parts of the wood, also putting a few
things on with hot glue. Aside from that, I
am really happy with how it is so far.........

TG5