Apr 20, 2024, 01:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console Rebuild

Started by timegalaxy5, Nov 29, 2011, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timegalaxy5

oh, wow! i didn't realize that, I'm not really an electrician, so um, wow, that's a lot, well i just saw kilowatt on it, and thought "hmm, that sounds cool, so it must be a lot" well and it also looks cool, and it i think really shows off how much power the TARDIS actually uses, ha  ;D

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

maverickjsmith

No one knows how much "power" a TARDIS uses but the first doctor once said "If you felt a fraction of it's power you'd be blown to atoms!"

Also I feel I must point out that there isn't a power meter on his console that reads in "jigawatts" yet. ;D

So far great job! Keep it up!

Maverick 8)
Maverick

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2012, 01:42 pm #47 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012, 01:48 pm by galacticprobe
I'm definitely curious to see what this meter looks like. Our equipment Watt meters always used attenuator switches to display higher Watt readings (switch position #1 was "X1", position #2 was "X10", etc.) so I never really saw any kilo, Mega, or Giga-Watt meters.

I know the TARDIS has the immeasurable power of a black hole (or New Series equivalent) behind it. I was just in a bit of a shock that someone managed to find a kW meter in a salvage place (I'd like a rummage through there!). Also, being a kW meter, (and my surprise may have made my response a bit exuberant) I wanted to show that the needle might not move much even with all of the power to run this replica pumped through it. (Although, having a power meter that can read that high on the console will definitely raise the eyebrows of anyone who sees it!)

The console itself is coming along nicely. I love that Hartnell-esque look to it, and am very interested to see how the extra controls will be integrated into the "arms" that you're planning to add to the console, and how you plan to design the arms' structure (single, down the corners something akin to the 2005 console, or split with one on the edge of each panel like the 2010 console?).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timegalaxy5

ha, Mr galactic probe, i am very excited someone is taking interest in my build  ;D, anywho, unless you live somewhere near Texas, then I don't think you will have a chance to go through that salvage place, and the meter will not be hooked up to anything  :-\ just in one of the panels. And another thing that is something is, the arms on the console, I am going to try and make them resemble the 2005 tennant/ecclston console, I don't really like the new console how its split on those, I think its just their way of cheating on the size of the console itself, rather than make the panels together and have it be more structurally sound. Well ha thanks and I am glad how my console is coming out and I'm glad you are glad too  ;D

TG5

galacticprobe

Mar 25, 2012, 05:22 am #49 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2012, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: timegalaxy5 on Mar 24, 2012, 05:05 pm
...unless you live somewhere near Texas, then I don't think you will have a chance to go through that salvage place...

Frack! :P

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

wow your getting through this really quickly!

timegalaxy5

ha, i remember the first time i heard that word..ha
and i suppose i am, well, seeing as how i can only work on the console itself every Wednesday, then on the off time work on the little bits and stuff, then i suppose its getting done at an OK pace..
well, i plan to go to my dad's for the next few days, so maybe will get the opportunity to acquire some stuff

TG5

timegalaxy5

;D MwaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA  ;D
Sorry about the crazy laugh, but today I was working like a mad man, and built all the lever housings that I need for my console, and also finished my central time column or helmic regulator, and also some more bits and pieces, also I tried to put the music mixer on one of the panels, but its just a bit too big  :-\ well I guess i will just put it on some other control unit somewhere, well enough talk, here are some Pictures ;D ;D ;D
the time rotor of course, I based it off of the first two columns ever in the show...
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

TG5

the mister

wow dude! that is such well improvised time rotor! as soon as I saw it I recognized it as the first console's. very effective. And I love your creativity, you're making everything very much your own style, I love it.

timegalaxy5

ha  :) yeah, I tend to make things very much my own style  :) one person said to me, that its more me than the actually show and still the show lol

TG5

the mister

well it's your tardis, it should be more you than the show  ;)

timegalaxy5

hey all, and mister, that console is looking really rad!
here is my finished time column, the top is a bunch of little plastic pieces that are hot-glued together, and it to me, is stronger than just one piece of thin plastic
IMG_0463.JPG
and the column
IMG_0462.JPG
and an angle shot
IMG_0461.JPG

tell me what you all think  ;D

TG5

the_temporal_mechanic

Very creative!  I like the insides of the time rotor.  Will it have lights?

timegalaxy5

well the base of it is a dish from a microwave, which means its clear, so I was planning on having a hole in the console of where it sits on and I was either going to have Christmas tree lights under it to Illuminate it or have some LED click on lights under it. The click on lights I think would be better, because less wires and also since some of the panels of my console will hinge open so I could just open up a panel and turn them on....yeah I'm going to go with the click on lights...

;D TG5

the_temporal_mechanic

Also meant to ask if you are building a plinth around the legs of your table?  I see the hexagonal base/plinth in your render, but wasn't sure.  Do you still have the rad piece of corrugated black pipe from your first console?  I think it was used as your time rotor in the last incarnation of your console. It would be great around the tables legs if you needed a solution for a plinth.