Apr 19, 2024, 10:07 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console Rebuild

Started by timegalaxy5, Nov 29, 2011, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timegalaxy5

Ha, thats sort of what im doing lol, i was thinking if the screws and stuff wasnt too rusted on those, that i would actually use them  ;D
great minds think alike  :o ;)

TG5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

timegalaxy5

well, the past couple of days i have been trying to disassemble those pieces of equipment in the previous picture. It is a real trouble at the moment, as i have two of the sides unscrewed but there are several that are completely unworkable, and they are stripped so bad, that they are completely round. I do require some help right now, i do not really have the funds to buy any thing else at the moment, so if anyone has any home grown tips on how to take care of a stripped bolt then that would be wonderful :)
many thanks

TG5 ;)

Scarfwearer

If any of the bolt is standing proud of the surface, you can sometimes get them out with a pair of flat-ended pliers.
Sometimes you can use a dremel to cut a new notch for your screwdriver to fit into.
Or you can buy a reverse threaded metal drill bit that you drill into the broken end and it will unscrew the bolt as it turns. These are called "damaged screw extractors", and are very handy... You'll want to make sure the thing you're removing it from is held very firmly in some kind of clamp or vice.
Good luck... and be careful.

Crispin

timegalaxy5

thanks scarfwearer, very handy info, i will see today if the person who i go to for tools has some kind of thing of what you are talking about. Well thanks for the tips  ;)

TG5

galacticprobe

Mar 07, 2012, 08:59 pm #34 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2012, 09:00 pm by galacticprobe
Another thing to try if the bolt is standing proud (as Scarfwearer mentioned) is grabbing a good hold of it with a pair of vice-grips. It's a lot like the flat-ended pliers Scarfwearer mentioned, but they have a harder bite; you give them a good squeeze and then once they lock down on the thing, you don't have to use your hand to squeeze while turning.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timegalaxy5

well, thanks galacticprobe and scarfwearer, I eventually earlier today managed to get all the bolt undone with the pliers method and then for the past 4 hours I spent it finishing the cutting of the rest of the panels and some supports, so once it was done I stood everything up and it all fit how it was supposed to  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
So very exited about that and just really exploding on the inside with lots and lots of joy  :D ( sorry no pictures, Forgot my camera :-\ )
thanks for the good tips and well, going on a trip, and so that means I will not really be able to build next week. So in about 2 weeks I should be starting on sanding and other 'stuff'

TG5

timegalaxy5

hey all, well, apart from the console itself, here are some things I'm working on for the arms or ribs of the console,

this is a little thing that i thought would be cool, its not actually together yet, (i ran out of hot glue and need more) but i just like the mechanical bits inside a dome look
IMG_0432.JPG

and here are some more things i am going to use on some of the arms of the console, its just a few items i have made myself, a few calculators and some other bits to maybe be used on some of the panels...
IMG_0433.JPG

TimeGalaxy5

timegalaxy5

hey all, well like other ppl, I am back from spring break :D had a really great time going to Arkansas, unfortunately, I looked everywhere on the way to and from there and could find no decent parts place. I was really hoping when i pasted through Oklahoma City, OK, that there would be an airplane salvage yard that I could find but no cigar....Well should be posting up some pictures of how the console is, a 'stood up' shot of the console I guess, and If I remember correctly, last time I worked on the console I planned out on a few panels of where the holes for some gauges and knobs and things would go, and I also put a big knob in one of the panels. AND it actually might do something ;D so Wednesday for sure, need to make a note to self saying remember camera....hm
well that's all for now, cheers' y'all

TimeGalaxy5

timegalaxy5

hey all well tomarrow I will post some pics of the console, as for now I thought I would show you all this, its a lamp I got that I think looks really cool, a thing my dad gave me and my telepathic circuits
\
IMG_0442.JPG
/

TG5

DoctorWho8

Mercury badges?  How'd you get those?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

timegalaxy5

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Mar 21, 2012, 04:54 am
Mercury badges?  How'd you get those?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Get what? the telepathic circuits?

timegalaxy5

hey, well, here's my progress for today, drilled the holes for the two volt meters off of that thing in the picture that i have with my table thing, and also cut the holes for the top square things on the first three of the panels and also added the screens for them, here it is, just half though, haven't done anything to the other three panels,
IMG_0451.JPG

TG5

Rassilons Rod

Oooh! This is looking surprisingly Hartnell-esque...! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

timegalaxy5

Well, I started on my time rotor earlier today, and also earlier today went to a salvage place about 15 or so miles outside of town, and found a kilowot meter gauge thing and also some other interesting things, and well yeah, I like how everything is turning out and just really inspired by you all here  ;) :D :)

TG5

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2012, 05:37 am #44 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012, 05:37 am by galacticprobe
A kilowatt meter?! :o How much power are you planning to pump through this thing? You'd need ten 100-Watt lightbulbs going at once just to get one kW.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"