Mar 09, 2021, 04:49 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Volpone's TARDIS build...

Started by Volpone, Nov 18, 2011, 10:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Jul 12, 2019, 01:37 am #285 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2019, 01:57 am by warmcanofcoke
I think she's done for now.  Minimal amount of "dirtying" for now.  Probably not even noticeable. I'm content.  I think I do prefer the dark blue with white trim, though.  Anyway, here's front-on:
20190711_181403.jpg
And for laughs, I found an early pic of how she looked before refit to compare to her current look.  Since I had some space onscreen, I threw in how she looked immediately after refit.  It's eerie how close the shade of blue is.  I wasn't going for that at all and I spent almost no time picking the paint--I just wanted to get a good base coat on before any rain (after learning all the paint I had was ruined) so I spent about 5 seconds picking the color:

firstmiddlelatest.jpg
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

warmcanofcoke

fixed your image for ya.  :D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

russellsuthern

It's looking like a good save you've done there...

Hopefully she'll be good for another few years...

Regards,

Russell

Volpone

First day of significant rain since the refit.  Seems dry inside.  Of course this was, like, a 20 minute shower, not a daylong deluge.  And the proof is 365 days of season change, expansion and contraction.  But I'll take it.  Beats if it was leaking like a sieve.  I'm really not thrilled with my choice of blue, but it *is* growing on me.  A bit.  Still, I may have to go back for more weathering.  Give me an excuse to get some dark grey stain and put it in a spray bottle to see if I can replicate the effect I got on the original configuration.  (That time I just watered down acrylic paint, but every time after that I tried it, it would immediately clog the nozzle, so I was never able to replicate it.)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

So.  The entire back of my neighbors' house is sided in my beloved Hardiplank.  Or I should say "was."  More on that later.  The contractor who did it apparently didn't properly install the flashing around the chimney so water got under the siding and rotted all the wood.  After a person who, I gather, was her father, ripped all the siding off around the chimney, he ripped out all the rotted lumber and plywood and replaced the plywood with particle board.  :-\  Then he sprayed a ton of expandable gap-filler foam all over the place before nailing on housewrap.   :-\ :-\

Now, I can't mock the foam too much, in that if is a significant structural element of my TARDIS.  But that's a rickety little shed for storing paint and garden tools in, not my house. 

Anyway, then he and his flunky proceeded to try to nail the Hardiplank back on.  Only they were using regular nails and Hardiplank requires special nails.  Also, you have to strip it all the way to the top because you nail the top edge, then you overlap the next board, making it water-resistant and creating a wood siding effect.  The whole while he grumbled about how the stuff was basically drywall and that his daughter should have proper vinyl siding instead of that junk.  :( 

Eventually he decided the project was beyond him and over the past few months a procession of contractors have been by to make estimates--all deriding the Hardiplank and praising the wonders of vinyl siding. 

Now vinyl siding may have come a long way from the 1990s or so, but I think of the stuff as garbage.  It can't be painted.  It can be damaged by the sun.  It gets brittle.  Hail can damage it.  Wind can rip it off relatively easily.  But it isn't my house.  So the past 2 weeks, a contractor has been next door, systematically ripping off all the Hardiplank and replacing it with vinyl siding.  I'll admit, it isn't terrible looking vinyl siding, but it still annoys me a bit.  And the kicker is, it doesn't look like he's going to do anything about the flashing around the chimney.  So 2 years from now--maybe less because now it's particle board instead of plywood--everything's going to be rotten again. 

I basically had to get all that off my chest because I don't have a psychiatrist to tell it to, but I mention it here, because I contemplate scavenging the castoff Hardiplank to line the inside of my TARDIS.  I can glue it up with Liquid Nails or Gorilla Glue Caulk and maybe add some of the proper screws and then I should have a rot-proof interior.  So as the exterior wood rots away I can just plaster on thinset and have an actual police box made out of a concretelike substance.  The only thing being, she's got far more material than I can use, so I don't know if I can just have some of it or not.  I guess I should ask if I want to know.  Opportunity only knocks once...
-The Doctor.

Volpone

Bah.  I've been checking up to see how the refit has fared.  It's been...OK.  Although, truth be told, I think I was not noticing some moisture intrusion because I didn't *want* to find moisture intrusion.  It's been miserably wet lately and I couldn't miss it of late so yeah, more work at some point.  But the reason for this post is, I needed something out of the TARDIS so I popped in to find mushrooms growing.  MUSHROOMS.  That's never a good sign.  :(   
-The Doctor.

Jam Jar Lurker

If the TARDIS is dimensionally transcendental, there must be mushroom inside...
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

russellsuthern

Ba- DUM!!

You really are a fun guy
(fungi...geddit??!!)

;)  ;D

Russell

Volpone

-The Doctor.

Volpone

I've never really taken with the 1950s police box livery for a TARDIS.  For some reason the blue panes have never worked for me with blue window trim.  But a few weeks ago my TARDIS started nagging me again and now here she is in full "Genevieve" glory:
scaleddown.JPG
-The Doctor.

Volpone

More rot.  This summer, my TARDIS will be 10.  It's survived a cross-country move and is still standing.  It's been patched with odds and ends, cement board (used for mounting floor and wall tile), mortar, Bondo auto body putty, fiberglass, and who knows what else.  The new fiberglass roof shell helped for awhile, but the corner posts are still getting soggy inside when it rains so it looks like I need more fiberglass (and more time).  I've also got a thriving community of carpenter ants that I'm fighting.  On top of that I found some more rot that needs my attention--when I can make some time.  But it still stands.  And I daresay looks better than the original 1963 prop did after 10 years. 
-The Doctor.