Arwel Wyn Jones, nope scratch that, a TYJ Build!!

Started by soniced-up, Apr 10, 2023, 07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Hobbyist

This is just fantastic. The police box really just looks like the old prop used in the classic era, very well done construction here.
"You know how it is; you put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - The Fifth Doctor, 'Arc of Infinity'

soniced-up

Thanks. 😊

Not my work, but a This Planet Earth box I purchased last year; though the maintenance and upkeep is nearly a full time gig- good job I'm retired!! 😆
"The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men... have too many rules.
"Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."

soniced-up

I haven't got around to sealing/resealing the sign boxes- if I'm totally honest, I'm procrastinating big time over them.

However, I may have come up with a permanent solution to the fresnel cap issue. I've found a local 3D printing firm, who have knocked up a prototype:

IMG_2463.jpegIMG_2462.jpeg

The prototype isn't fit for external use, but as it's a perfect fit, the firm are now making one fit for purpose using suitable material.

Best £5 ever spent!
"Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."

soniced-up

Jul 17, 2024, 12:08 pm #78 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2024, 07:55 pm by soniced-up
I've collected the new external proof 3D printed fresnel cap, but I could only have it in either black, white, red and I think yellow, so I opted for white.

I briefly considered leaving it white as a homage to the Newbery but I changed my mind and decided to keep it "100%" TY-J (ish!).

I started to give it a quick coat of the base layer paint, when my son walked into my garage and queried whether I had remembered to use a primer first.

I hadn't- I'd forgotten. Talk about the basics. 🤦‍♂️

So, I cleaned it up and have ordered some spray primer- I've even knocked up a stand so I can spray it on.

I've decided to completely replace the fresnel base as well with a printed one, as the wet weather has really done a number on it. This is just one winter- what's it going to be like for all the other bits that aren't protected by the fibreglass resin?

IMG_2486.jpeg

soniced-up

IMG_2489.jpeg

That's 3 layers of paint not including the primer- just the dirtying down grey to apply tomorrow.

It's a damn good job I decided to replace the original fresnel cap- yesterday afternoon it totally split when I was taking it off. Luckily, a shed-load of resin, clamps and paint has made it look like new.
It's now safely tucked away in my box of TARDIS spares and the prototype is sat in place for tonight.

IMG_2491.jpeg

This is one of the bolts I'm going to use to replace the wooden dowels that hold the cap on.

The nut will be mounted into the new 3D printed base, allowing the bolt to be easily removed with an Allen key from the top of the fresnel- yes it will be a bit fiddly, but the bolt heads will be flush with the cap and not obvious to the naked eye.

And yes, Volpone, I'm going to add the washers that you suggested on the original cap, because you were absolutely right that they looked fantastic!