Apr 20, 2024, 05:08 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Feb 07, 2012, 07:21 pm #75 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2012, 05:30 am by galacticprobe
That looks beautiful! Absolutely fantastic! I wish I had your space to work in, and with.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

what a sexy rotor!

museumdave

Feb 08, 2012, 06:43 pm #77 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2012, 06:49 pm by museumdave
HEY ALL!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. One gets to the point where you just see the drips - not the 'sexy rotor'.  so.. ya.. thanks! ;D

So last night I continued to work on this a bit.  I purchased a second sheet of PVC roofing to complete the central column.
I ran the cable measured, remeasured and then clamped down the cable clamps- (almost in the right spot!)  I had hoped that one of the cable clamps would act as a hard stop- not allowing me to pull the two halves appart to the point the tubes come apart.... well almost. But the good news is as I hook it up to the drive motor I can ensure it stops in the right place then....I hope.

Any how  I had what I thought was a simple and easy way of hooking this baby up to a motor. After getting the cable all set I mocked up the motor to make sure it would work okay...and well it DID NOT! ??? >:( :( :'( :'(

the mechanism just kept slipping.  It didn't have the power needed.  I didn't think it would need much. The time rotor halves aren't heavy at all, and they should work as counter weight to each other. The problem seems to come from any small missalignment in the tubes. If the top tubes don't fit perfectly down the centre of the bottom tubes ( and they don't) there is a level of friction there that needs to overcome.  SO presently I am looking at ways of using the same electric motor and increasing the mechanical advantage to move the rotor up and down.

Any how here she is strung up by the top pulley
time rotor+ cable.JPG
and extended...
time rotor+ cable- open.JPG

and half way in between...
time rotor+ cable- half.JPG

That is all for now.  more soon
Thanks again for looking
M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

museumdave

Feb 10, 2012, 04:22 pm #78 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2012, 04:48 pm by museumdave
Hello All,

I have been continuing to try and get the electric motor I have to move the time rotor, but I am starting to think I will need to find something with more power than the old fan motor I have....
Last night after playing with the motor for a while, I opted to continue on the central column instead.

I cut the 2 pieces of PVC roofing to the same length. This caused some cracks to appear- but I will use that bit for the bottom, and it should still be okay.  I laid out the sheets and with some difficulty riveted them together top and bottom. Used 2 piece speed rivits for this - the sort that are often used for leather work. The column needed a bit more support in the middle to keep it from opening up.  I put a couple of drops of glue in the joins and wired it together for now - until the glue sets.  I also used a couple of small pieces of scotch tape (sellotape) to hold the edge down a little.

I have a couple of little round particle board tables -(Got for free) - took one of the table tops and placed it on top of the column. drilled an hole and recessed around it to allow for the top pulley to be mounted in the top circle.

I used part of the cage from the fan to be the top collar for the column.  It looks kinda neat and if I was doing a more custom console I might just leave it as it is, but I plan to fill in the gaps and paint it to have that crackle like finish of the 2005 Tennant /Eccelston console.  I know it is not big enough, and it doesn't have enough flare, but I think it will do for now....

center column1.JPG

I am planing on using the other part of the cage and the fan base for the smaller of the 2 collars at the top of the console.

fan bits.JPG

they fit together nicely - and once the cage has a skin on it - should look okay

fan bits2.JPG

I managed to cut out the cage lastnight, but didn't do the base- as it would have taken a saw- not just wire cutters and likely would have woken my kids up...fan-bit cut.JPG

I slid on the half that I had so it looked like this.

center column3.JPG

and then just for fun, before packing it in for the night- through a spot light in the base and took some fun shots.

center column+ light1.JPGcenter column+ light2.JPGcenter column+ light3.JPG

I hope the fan bits aren't too cheesy.. It seems to be something about working in Museums.- I am always looking for ways to make do, use less money and see the possibilities, often this is a good thing, but not always.  Sometimes it is way better just to spend the money/time and do things right... excuse me, just musing.

anyhow.

thanks for looking and the support.

cheers
M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

atomicgraph

That's lookin pretty cool. I've been brain storming about how to get the movement or the rotor, I'm courious to see what you come up with. Good luck and the rotor column looks good   

Rassilons Rod

The column is looking superb! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

It definitely looks the part.  And the fan cover is a good idea for the basis of the structure.  You can clad it with another material to make it more solid looking.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

museumdave

Feb 17, 2012, 05:43 pm #82 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2012, 05:50 pm by museumdave
Hello All,

As always thanks for the positive feed back!

I have a solid plan for motorising the time rotor and am sourcing part presently.
I finally received the hand wheel In the post.  It looks pretty good, though I think I will replace the handle for a knurled metal one.
reo -handle.JPG

The other thing is a great find and purchase at the local thrift shop.  I found a reasonably proportioned computer monitor - flat screen in good working order. This will become the scanner screen.
screen.JPG
got a real deal -$5.99.

Almost forgot, I have been working on the insulator ring on the time column- Still needs work, but this too I think I am figuring out some things as I go.

There should be more soon

Thanks for looking

Cheers

M.D.crackle collar.JPG

superrichi1a

Sorry I'm a bit late here. Just noticed  this project and had to drop a line saying how fantastically I think you're doing. I've always loved the NST Rotor, and seeing your's makes me feel like I should build one (got no space anyway though...).
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

museumdave

Feb 24, 2012, 02:35 pm #84 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2012, 02:50 pm by museumdave
Hello All,

Well things have been pretty busy at home and work, but yesterday I managed to find a little bit of time.  I have finally completed (more or less) the three section rheostat.  I know I have posted images of this before, but now things are actually fastened together...
well I'm pleased any how.

So here it is reo -2.JPG

I was unable to find any braided cable- so I ended up using a wire braided -reinforced hose- I squeezed it as flat as I could manage using the vise.
reo -4.JPG

The black hose is from a second hand air pump.  I replased the black plastic handle that came with the handle wheel with a chunk of a metal flash light handle. Then cut the black handle into small washers and used it on the ends of the bars. Glued them on.

The cross slide mechanism does work, but is a little fussy. It will some time skip a thread and stop.  I am thinking this will be a bit better once the unit is mounted to the rib. It will be fastened both on the ends and screwed from the bottom up into the bars- this should add some rigidity to the unit and help the bars from being forced out of alignment.

reo -5.JPG
reo -1.JPG

that is all for now, but more will follow soon.

Thanks for all the positive feed back

M.D.

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2012, 06:34 am #85 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2012, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Looking fantastic, M.D.! If you really want a flatter braided cable, check out the electrical section of a home improvement store, or an electronics supply store. Ask for a braided grounding strap. The straps come in different widths so you should have a decent choice.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Hey Dino,

I haven't been able to find a braided grounding strap at my local home improvement store.  Can you tell me is it more of an automotive thing?  I will keep looking thanks for the hint

m.d.

galacticprobe

Feb 29, 2012, 06:53 am #87 Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012, 06:53 am by galacticprobe
I have seen that sort of braided grounding strap used in cars before, usually on the negative battery terminal (or alternator, or both) to the chassis. It's worth checking out an automotive store. Have you checked out strictly electrical or electronics supply stores? That's where I've seen that strap used the most: grounding electronics and electrical systems. I'll poke around to see if I can't find any sources.

Dino.

galacticprobe

Mar 01, 2012, 06:51 am #88 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2012, 06:52 am by galacticprobe
M.D., I may have found a source for you for that braided ground strap:

http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=175&SecID=51&DeptID=19

The straps come in different widths (the 1/2 to 1 inch should be the right sizes), and in lengths from 1 to 10 feet. They also come with or without those "ring terminals" on the ends. So there should be a flat braided strap for every place needed on the console, and their prices aren't bad. It's a start anyway.

If I turn anything else up I'll be sure to post it, but for now this place seems to be the best for variety.

Dino.

museumdave

Hey Dino,

Thanks for this.  I have called around to any local e;electrical supply place I can find.  No one seems to have it.  So more internet shopping for me... thanks again.  I think I have found a good looking hand break for one of the required ones on line as well.

cheers

More soon

M.D.