Apr 20, 2024, 06:44 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

May 26, 2013, 04:54 am #435 Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:55 am by galacticprobe
Ah, great advice on the tea light crystal points. It's something I'll really have to consider when I can start my build; because mine is going to be so much smaller I might have to lower the pitch of the panels so they make less of a "cone" shape. (And then raise the height of the legs to compensate for the lower panels.)

Once again, back to the drawing board for me! You keep right on; you're doing a bang-up job so far. (But I've already said that. Ah heck; I'll say it again!) Fantastic!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Jun 04, 2013, 02:01 pm #436 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2013, 02:22 pm by museumdave
Greetings all,

The past few months have been very challenging in a number of ways; challenging to find time to work on the old girl, and challenging when that time dose not go well. It seems very much a case of one step forward two steps back. As you all know one can get hopelessly lost in the deep interior of a tardis in just this way (see journey to the centre of the TARDIS).

Any way, while working to secure a couple of the acrylic panels, the panels suffered serious cracking around mounting holes- not so bad that they have snapped in half (YET), but this is going to be a serious issue. Particularly if I do end up travelling the console to a convention.

I will need to fix this some how.

The lights on the end of the cigarette sockets (AGU fuse stand in) have been removed and longer cables have been put in their place. (yippee!)

Made a number of little nozzle/socket thingies out of half spools for the cable to plug into.spiles.jpg

Tried to hot glue them into place on the side of the rib and feed the cable through. Also tried to hot glue the AGU fuse stand in's into place on the panel- nothing doing It wouldn't stick at all. For the Panel I will need to try the chalking and figure out a way to clamp/hold the bits to the panel until dry.  At this point I don't know how I will affix the spool bits to the side of the rib.  It may come to drilling a hole slightly undersize and doing a 'press fit'...

Have another blue plastic box fitted with a light up switch. Neither of these switches is wired to anything right now- so they don't light up.blue box2.jpg

A friend who owns his own computer business had told me in April that he would have a number of old hard drives for me seems to have forgotten all about it, Likewise with my blacksmith friend who was going to make a crank shaft to run the time rotor.... progress is feeling painfully slow right now, but I guess a lot of long term projects have more and less productive times.  It just starts to where on me sometimes.

Thanks all for your continued patience.  I hope to have more  (good news) for you soon.

Cheers

Dave
P.S.
Just for giggles I have thrown in a couple images of the console illuminated with the boxes in place.

june console.jpgjune console2.jpg
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

BioDoctor900

Must say MD, it's getting better by the minute, the build quality of your console is far greater than mine. Im envious of how well yours has turned out, I wish mine was a similar quality, but with limited money it becomes a struggle :/ I look forward to seeing more and especially when its finished :D

Keep up the Amazing work!!

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jun 05, 2013, 04:06 am #438 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2013, 04:19 am by galacticprobe
I REALLY LIKE WHAT I SEE! <hemm-hemm> She really is coming to life, M.D.

Quote from: museumdave on Jun 04, 2013, 02:01 pm
A friend who owns his own computer business had told me in April that he would have a number of old hard drives for me seems to have forgotten all about it, Likewise with my blacksmith friend who was going to make a crank shaft to run the time rotor...

Don't let these little setbacks get you down. Things do slip peoples' minds. Give your friends a yell, just to touch base and see how they're doing. Then, depending on how the conversation goes, if the opportunity presents itself, slip in a little feeler on these. Your friends may have gotten busy, and as we all know how life gets in the way they may have just forgotten especially if it's been a while since you've talked to them about this or anything. (In which case, a very gentle prod could lead to a "Holy mackerel! I forgot all about that. Thanks for reminding me.")

And of course (need I say it? - no - but I will anyway...)

ENVY!

Dino.
P.S. - Side note: Don't sell yourself short, BioDoc. Your build is looking great as well, and at least you have her building. As always with me, life (and Murphy) insist upon getting in the way and pushing the start of my build back again... and again... and again...
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

museumdave

Jun 28, 2013, 04:10 pm #440 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2013, 05:48 am by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travellers,

I have been working on some small bits and panels.  I spent a fair bit of time working on a small switch plate to go on the keypad(bubble wrap) panel.  I pulled the (bubble wrap) panel out of the frame and some bits some new some preexisting.  I realized when I replaced the panel that some of my placement of some of the components is rather off....panel1.jpg

The key pads are low enough down the panel that there is rally not enough room for my new little switch plate...i am presently debating pulling the bits up an re-glueing.... ::)

panel2.jpg

Have also been working on the little loopy thingies (that doesn't help you know what I mean much does it?)... these things.loopything.jpg

I have been trying to make these out of acrylic with the loop painted on. and an extra layer of Masonite then a lite metal circle that was punched out ( have a bucket of these)...  I did a quick over spray of black paint on the back side and that is what it looks like now...    I need to make a few more and may still refine these a bit.- the metal circle needs holes drilled in.

I have also started work on bits for the final panel. Here is a quick start at that.
.pegboard1.jpg
A friend who is moving has given me his drill press with a laser sight until he has space for a shop again. It really helped with this particular piecepegboard.jpg

As always thanks for looking, and commenting,

cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

museumdave

Oops.  We have news I keep meaning to mention this. - not directly related to the build process, but will certainly effect it.

Tardis builder own Primrodo is helping organize 'Reversed Polarity'  a con celebrating Doctor Who's 50th anniversary.  He has formally requested the presence of me- and my console at the con. 

So I need to finish this thing before November.  Then take it apart to remove it from the attic, and transport it to Toronto in enough time to reassemble her.  I would love to meet in person any of you fellow builder who can make it there....Nate-Toronto to Buffalo is not that far- I could spring for a couple of warm cans of coke, or cold ones.

Also starting to cast around with friends looking- thinking about possible other homes for the console- so she may not be moving back to the attic.  I know Mrs. MuseumDave would be keen on that.... we will have to see what interesting possibilities open up.  Any how thought I would share that news that I will be sharing the console at the CON.
Cheers

M.D.

galacticprobe

Jun 29, 2013, 05:10 am #442 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2013, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
I don't have to tell you how good she's looking, M.D.! (Though a couple of your photos of that "quick start" on the final panel didn't come through for some reason, I still think I know which panel you're talking about.) And your Old Girl is in demand for a Con? What else to say but, FANTASTIC! Sounds like a bit of a PITA, though, having to disassemble her (again) to get her out of the attic and then re-assemble her. Too bad you don't have one of those geodesic domes connected to the house; it would make a perfect console room and you could get a door large enough to move her in and out in one piece for occasions like this.

Sorry I live so far away; I'd love to help with the work, though in my condition I don't know exactly what I'd be able to do (stairs aren't my friends, and neither are large objects, or the carrying thereof). Of course I could always just stand guard over everything while you and your mates moved things to and from the moving vehicle to make sure no one made off with everything. (Yeah, I know - this coming from the very person who, if he could, would make off with the entire console! ;) ;D)

And on that note, I'm really sorry that I live so far away because she could always come live with me until you needed her again! (I'd have to knock a wall out to fit her, but it'd be worth it!) Of course if I did live closer I might have a house with larger rooms, but as it is I'm on average 770 miles away, and with no traffic (or stop signs or lights), it would take about a 15 hours' drive. Oh, then there's Customs. (Frack me. :P)

So once again I say...
Envy(tiny).jpg
Envy(small).jpg
Envy(medium).jpg

Oh, and a very well-built lady she is, too! Magnificent job! "Fantastic! Absolutely fantastic!"

Dino.

expendable

It's a beautiful build - I have no idea how you're going to disassemble it? It may be easier if there's a window in your attic to have someone replace it with a door and one of those winches on a rail?

Must agree with Dino's envy.

13drwho

I must have misread this... After all your work you're trying to find a new home for her? I just finished mine, which is not in the same league as yours, and can't imagine parting with her.

I'm sure you'll have people begging to take her, if that's what you want.

museumdave

Jun 30, 2013, 09:20 pm #445 Last Edit: Jun 30, 2013, 09:38 pm by museumdave
Thanks guys
Expendable- she was built to so that the ribs, rim, and panels all screw together and also unscrew

Yes Dino a bit of a PITA, but think it could be really cool to share with the con goers
TheJason-Don't sell your console short- IT ROCKS!- but about a different home for this one- I duno- I don't really want her gone, but in some ways makes sense to not take the bits back up multiple flights of stairs through a door that will fit one rib at a time. Plus the art of marriage is one of compromises- I will see what transpires.  I will keep you all posted.  

Cheers

Dave

13drwho

You're very kind. I have the advantage of being single, so I designed my TARDIS room and didn't have to negotiate. I do know what you mean about moving it. Mine breaks down into four pieces so it can get through the standard doors. It can be done but it would be a HUGE headache. Well I just hope it finds a home where someone will worship it as it deserves!!!

FloppyDiskNinja

The awesomeness cannot be explained. Nice  ;D

galacticprobe

Jul 01, 2013, 05:35 am #448 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2013, 05:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: museumdave on Jun 30, 2013, 09:20 pm
she was built to so that the ribs, rim, and panels all screw together and also unscrew

Yes Dino a bit of a PITA, but think it could be really cool to share with the con goers

M.D., definitely a cool thing of beauty to share with Con goers. I knew you built her to be dis/re-assemble-able as I followed your diary along. The PITA bit was a reference to what you just mentioned: getting her in and out of the attic. And on mention of your diary, I just looked back through it and got curious because I didn't see it mentioned; what measurements did you use for your Demat Lever housing? (Or - this one going out to anyone that might know - what are the measurements of the gizmo they used for the Lever on the actual prop?)

And like The Jason, I, too, hope that if she has to leave your home she finds one where she'll be fully appreciated and loved, and not too far from you so you can have access to her as needed - or wanted - if called upon by another Convention. (Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking: that all you're looking for is a friend who lives close by, has got the space and is willing to hold on to her for you so you don't have to give her up completely.)

And like I mentioned in a reply in The Jason's Diary: please don't go silent once you're finished building. You've given us all so many good ideas, and not just on your beauty, but on many other peoples' builds as well.

Dino. :(

BioDoctor900

Well MD, your console is getting more and more Fantastic to quote Eccleston. I'm Glad that your console is going to be going to a con. I think you will get sooo much respect and love for taking it there. Im currently worrying about finishing off mine as mine is going to an event at the start of September. But Brilliant work. I can only quote Dino with ENVY! lol

Keep up the stunning work

BioDoctor900