New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FloppyDiskNinja

museumdave

Jan 28, 2013, 07:41 pm #346 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 07:47 pm by museumdave
Hello All,

Thank you all for your positive comments and encouragement!  
Primrodo-  I would love to tack my console to a convention and share it- the logestics of that feel a little daunting right now, but I am sure I could figure it out-   we should talk :)

This is just a quick update-  There still hasn't been decent weather for painting.  What has happened is I have spent a bit of time trimming around the arm/rib bits to improve the join between the arm and the rim sections. Wanted to ensure that they all ended up at the same height and reasonably tight-  Had the odd little slip that maybe should be backfilled with putty or caulking ::), but for the most art they do fit better.

So a few more snaps of the same the joinsrimtrim1.JPGrimtrim2.JPG
some worked better than others

rimtrim3.JPG

For now the panels are loose, and components are spread everywhere  it looks a real mess, but so did the original a lot of the time.
rimtrim4.JPG

I should be able to get the panels braced and back in place soon and then we are nearly done!

I am still waiting on the crank shaft, and I don't want to put the central column in place until after the workings are in order as it is a real pain to get into and out of place.

As always thank for looking and commenting

Cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

kiwidoc

Looks great Dave!  The fit with your rim and ribs is terrific - I'm dreading filling all the gaps when I get to that stage.  It looks so solid now with the rim sections in - you must be feeling really good!

13drwho

I am always so Jealous of how AWESOME your console is. It is looking so much like the real one. I personally think your a big fake, these must be BBC prop department photos that you have some how gotten.

ThisJustinOnline

Looking fantastic!

Any reason you are using man made crackle as opposed to using the crackle paints?

museumdave

Thanks for the comments All,

Primrodo- The crackle effect? well there are a couple of thoughts there
Haven't found any crackle paint locally,
But also some time ago I had thought that if I go for the large crackle it could work for either Eccelston era or teh first season and a half of Tennants time.  I had had this idea of doing a fan film type thing and setting it in a pre-Eccleston Tardis....

It was just a thought- Haven't really settled on anything until it is done.
As always I would be interested in your input!

thanks

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

ThisJustinOnline

You can get Crackle paint at a few locations, Michaels has it I believe. You are going to want the spray and basically treat it like furniture crackle to get the large crackles.

I think the paint will have a better effect than hand crackles though...

I am sure I have seen it locally, when I am out and if I see some I will let you now. But you CAN get it :)

museumdave

Feb 02, 2013, 09:13 pm #352 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 10:39 pm by museumdave
Hello All,

Thought I would show you all some other small bits that have been found and collected.  I have one more flood light in place.  I have been undoing the thumb screw that holds them to the plastic stand and screwing them directly to the underside of the ribs.  I took one of the mounting brackets and used a tube over it to hold some more cable looming in place.  It looks kinda like a bit on the original.
tube.JPG

Also picked up some of those clear plastic caster cover things Dino IDed
caster.JPG
although I was not sure Where to put them- silly really I need to reread Dino's post- this looks cool though (and might be right?!?!)caster2.JPG

I also picked up a fairly inexpensive and light mallet
malet.JPG

Also at the old local craft store while looking for crackle paint medium I found some wood plaque mounts - I thought the might look okay behind the keypads like thiskeys.JPGkeys2.JPG

Lastly I have an old printer cartridge that has been topped with the rubber buttons from inside an old T.V. Remotethingy.JPG

That is all for now-

As always thanks for looking

Cheers

M.D.

ThisJustinOnline

Very cool finds! I cannot wait to see this in person!!

If you cannot find any crackle let me know, I have many friends in the US and will often go to see them and can get you what you need :)

galacticprobe

Feb 03, 2013, 05:24 am #354 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2013, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
M.D., this should help with the placement of the caster cups. On the 9th Doctor and early on the 10th Doctor version there was just one on the lower of the two tri-lobed domey things that were together on the same console rib:
No message is associated with this attachment.
and a larger, clearer image here (open in a new tab/window to see it full size)

That was the only one of the dome things to have it. For a later, 10th Doctor version, smudge the caster cup with some "blackwash" to make it look a bit grimy and toss it on this panel with the push-on (shield switch?) the Doctor uses just before the starship Titanic crashes through the TARDIS:
This one doesn't look like it's fixed in place, and unless I'm mistaken by "The End of Time" it's vanished. But if I remember correctly, you were going for the earlier look (late 9th/early 10th Doctor, when the console was "...a bit cleaner" ;), so your best bet would be to put a clean caster cup pointy thingy on that silvery domey thingy. (And yeah; that is technical speak. ;D)

And just for reference, that third domey thingy on the console rib by itself looks like it, in its early days, had one of those hard drive motor-looking thingies on (or in) it (see yellow arrows):

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Thanks for the info Dino- But I can't seem to view or open your images.

Thanks

M.D.

galacticprobe

Feb 06, 2013, 01:31 am #356 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013, 02:13 am by galacticprobe
What the frack?! ??? They posted fine the other day. (Maybe they went wonky because I annotated them with arrows to point out the locations?) So let me try again, this time without annotating my photos:
CasterCup01.jpg
                                                                                                (see above here ^)
It's a bit blurry, but the tri-lobed domey thingy in the lower right corner has one of the caster cups on it. It's only on the rib with two domey thingies, and only on the lower domey thingy.

CasterCup02.jpg
                                                               (Look here ^)
Here's a much clearer close-up, almost dead center bottom of the photo. You can easily see the caster cup in place. (You might have to open the image in a new tab or window to see it full size.)

CasterCup03.jpg
On this one, later in the Tennant era, the caster cup moved to the panel that has that light-up button switch with the gold bezel around it (the one the Doctor pushes just before starship Titanic crashes into the TARDIS in 'Voyage of the Damned"). The caster cup has been dirtied up, maybe with a "blackwash". The caster cup in this photo is almost centered in the photo, and is right above to that light-up button.

TriLobe-DiscDriveMotor.jpg
And in this photo of the rib with only one tri-lobed domey thingy on it, the tri-lobed thingy looks like it has one of those disc drive motors on (or in) it - the same motor as those round silvery things on some of the panels. (On this panel one of those motors is at about one or two o'clock to that pointy thing inside the wheel spacer.)

Hopefully without any annotation the photos will post correctly.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Got it that time! Thanks for sharing and for your perseverance Dino ;D

Nice to see what you are talking about.

M.D.

galacticprobe

Feb 06, 2013, 06:05 am #358 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2013, 06:06 am by galacticprobe
No problem, M.D. It's what I'm here for (when I'm not causing civil unrest ;D). I just wish I knew what happened to that first set of photos I posted (the ones with the arrows pointing to the caster cups and the disc drive motors). They showed up fine when I originally posted them. I don't know... maybe something glitched afterwards? At least I was able to get them through this time, and that's all that matters.

Dino.

the mister

looking pretty grand! I like the keypad on wooden plaque idea.