Apr 28, 2024, 04:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

M.D.s console

Started by museumdave, Oct 20, 2011, 03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type55tardis

so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

museumdave

Oct 12, 2012, 03:29 pm #301 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 03:30 pm by museumdave
Hey All. Sorry for the lack of updates as of late- Things have not been letting me play much.  
So I have been cleaning out the ol' office and came across some bits I squireled away when we were getting a new sprinkler system installed. These are plastic caps that fit over the sprinkler heads during installation to keep dust and grim out. They were headed for the trash, but looked to me very much like something that with some paint could work on the console.

Take a look and you may see what I mean.

redplastic caps.jpgredplastic caps2.jpg

As always thanks for all the comments and support.

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Oct 12, 2012, 06:43 pm #302 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2012, 06:43 pm by galacticprobe
You seem to stumble onto loads of little things that are perfect for this console (with a little paint, as you say). I'm definitely in the wrong place, or don't have the right connections. (And when I did have opportunities to grab such things, it was well before the New Series started up, so I never had any thoughts to grab those bits! My timing last century was way off, as usual.)

So, once again...
ENVY!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Nov 02, 2012, 11:28 pm #303 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 11:43 pm by museumdave
Greetings fellow time travelers,

It has been too long particularly if you are stuck on the slow path with time passing in slowly and in the right sequence.  I have had a hard time getting time to my self to work on anything fun.  So on a personal not I quite my job!  I have picked up some part time stuff with a different Museum, but still need to find more meaningful employment, but the good news is I have more time on my  hands.  Less money, but lots more time! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D-  Can't tell you how happy I am to be out of there!- THERE THAT IS enough personal stuff !

Today I finished that last 3 lobed thing out of a conditioner bottle.  Cut the top and bottom off.  The bottom was flipped and fitted inside the top then three spools where screwed to the edge.  It has been painted  and then secured through the whole at the top with a long screw.jug+spools.JPGjug+spools2.JPGjug+spools3.JPG

The top nozzle has been cut down a bit too.

So I was looking at the perforated metal I have, and went out and purchased a small sheet of the same stuff from the local sheet metal place.  They are good guys there, still cost me $30 - not bad though.

sheet metal.JPG

Took a small amount of time to cut it basically to size.  sheet metal panel.JPG

Then because it was easy and fast used some black plastic barrel to cut out some small squares and a rectangle that will be the base of the switch plates.  added some hoses- it was quick and easy- it is far from done, I need to knobs and switches and the like- I may go back to using the marrets- but the look is really starting to come along.  See what you think metal panel.JPGmetal panel2.JPG

IN this one you can see the 3 lobed bit-metal panel3.JPG

Have also been starting to look at that other trim wheel- but that will be for a nother day.

thanks for looking and commenting.  It is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

galacticprobe

Nov 03, 2012, 06:29 am #304 Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012, 06:33 am by galacticprobe
M.D., this is looking so fantastic! What a heck of a job you are doing to this beauty. So... need I say this? (What the heck, after the recent, wonderful work you've done on her I'll say it anyway.)

ENVY!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

Holy flaps! that looks incredible! so professional looking. i love it!

FloppyDiskNinja

Ah, see
It was worth waiting so long for an update  :)
I have been feeling very insecure without an update every week, hehehe
that is looking pretty nice now, but that is expected from the steady pace of this build
Have you tried taking photos without the flash, and perhaps some video?
Looking awesome MD, keep up that good work.  ;)

-FloppyDiskNinja

museumdave

Nov 09, 2012, 11:39 pm #307 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012, 11:55 pm by museumdave
Experimenting with foam

Greetings fellow time travelers,

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have a couple of things to share today.  I have been starting to experiment with Styrofoam. and although I remain somewhat unconvinced I thought I would share the progress to date.  As an experiment I did not want to sink much money into the process until I felt reasonably certain it would give me a useable product.  I had some old pink foam around from a project.  
took spray glue and stuck 4 layers together and used the handy dandy ol' jig saw to rough out the desired shape.
rim1.JPGrim2.JPG

I then marked on the divits and carved them out with a knife- although I should have used a sharper blade.
rim3.JPG
It looks 'okay', the thought being to cover the foam with white glue and sawdust to even things out and then smooth the surface and paint it.  

Here it is in place.
rim4.JPG
rim5.JPGrim6.JPG

So I feel a bit like I am chasing my tail here.  I keep thinking that I could get a better finish out of layered 2X6 wood and something more solid with not a lot more work.  And then I think the console needs 6 of these that are pretty much the same- If i were to make a 'master' (no not you Mister) out of wood I might be able to find large pieces of heat mold plastic, and make 6 pieces from that/ or Fiberglass/ or I could cast a mold from an original and then cast 6 pieces out of that...  Maybe foam is easiest ::)
I will certainly let you know what happens with this.

I also wanted to through up here a few non-flash photos (sorry for taking so long Lachie)  I will post some video once I can get the rotor moving properly, but not likely before that point.

noflash.JPGnoflash2.JPG

and here are a couple with no flash but the green back light on.
noflash+light.JPGnoflash+light2.JPGnoflash+light3.JPG

Any how that is all for now, but there will be more soon!
As always thank you for your comments and encouragement-  It really does keep me going.

Cheers All

Dave

FloppyDiskNinja

AWWW Thats better  ;D
I just nerded all over the floor, damn that looks good.
Your console looks amazing, the lighting is obvious with these new non flash shots. And how good the lighting is  ;)
I am amazed at the level of detail now shown. Loving it man, the green, the pipes Everything

WOOKIEWOO Amazing!!

-Floppy Disk Ninja

galacticprobe

Nov 10, 2012, 05:04 am #309 Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 06:02 am by galacticprobe
Okay... Now this is getting way out of hand with its absurdly amazingness! :o :o :o (I know that probably sounds like it makes no sense, and maybe it doesn't; so I invoke my inner corporal Agarn: "It makes sense - not to me, but it makes sense.") But what can I do?! I've run out of words to express my awe at this!

Not only does this console build's beauty defy description (as does M.D.'s ingenuity), but in photos where the walls are visible those roundels/hexels look 3-D! M.D., you are not only a master craftsman, but you also seem to be a clever one with a camera! And since I can't seem to use the font options to adequately convey my feelings on your progress, I'll have to say it with a photo. (They say a photo is worth a thousand words... I'll settle for one:)
[attach id=55207 xwidth=175 xheight=50]Envy.jpg[/attach]

And keep going!

Dino.

atomicgraph

hey that worked out great for the center ring. man this is really looking good, i always look forward to an update.

fridaysgoldfish

This is so fantastic! The "hand-craftedness" of everything adds to the aesthetic so much, it is better than the original!

museumdave

Nov 13, 2012, 11:55 pm #312 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 am by museumdave
Hey All,

Thanks for the comments guys!  Cheers, I really appreciate it.   ;D

I have spent a little bit of time playing with a few little bits.   The bits for the second trim wheel /lever are starting to come together.  There are still handles and paint and the knob to do, but it is coming together.

lever2.JPG

Been working on bits for the next mesh panel.  I have thrown together an 'electrical panel' with a piece of barrel plastic, more marrette wire nuts, and the buttons from a couple of old remotes.

knob board1.JPG
 I have more than enough mesh to make the panel, but I want piece it together in a way that it is solid enough that it can be 'whacked' with a rubber mallet with out hesitation so that will take a bit of work- but should be doable this week.  Here is the board on a chunk of mesh.knob board2.JPG

That is it for now, but I am feeling that this Looooooooong project is finally starting to approach reaching an end, almost, kinda, ish. ::)

As always thanks for looking, and commenting

Cheers.

Dave

the mister

Wow it's all looking fantastic! That new electric control board looks tip top. Those rim edges don't look easy. I wish you luck with that

galacticprobe

Nov 14, 2012, 02:44 am #314 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 02:46 am by galacticprobe
M.D., I think you already know what I have to say about this. ;) ;D

Dino.
P. S. You've got to find one of those relish-type jug bottoms for me. I can't find them anywhere in my area. The only ones I've come across have those ribs on the tops, where the large jug opening is, and that doesn't look like it will work all that well.