May 30, 2024, 12:01 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sillysparrowness' collapsable and foldable TARDIS

Started by sillysparrowness, Oct 20, 2011, 01:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

That's cool, and with the paint on, you can barely see the joins (apart from where the pillars will hide it :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

greatwazoo42

Very, very impressive!  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this finished but I'm greatly enjoying watching the progress shots go up.

galacticprobe

Nov 20, 2011, 11:03 pm #92 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2011, 11:04 pm by galacticprobe
I love that color! In some of your photos it looks like the Matt Smith blue, and in others it looks like the Eccleston/Tennant blue. (Are you using chameleon paint? ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

maverickjsmith

Good choice on the blue! Looks very nice.

Maverick 8)
Maverick

sillysparrowness

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 20, 2011, 11:03 pm
In some of your photos it looks like the Matt Smith blue, and in others it looks like the Eccleston/Tennant blue. (Are you using chameleon paint? ;))

Wow, that kind of colour would actually be great! :)
But no, no Matt Smith blue in sight. I like it in the series - although I was very disappointed at first, I think I got used to the new Doctor more quickly that to the new TARDIS :)
I fell in love with the old, weathered, more dark-turquoise than blue Eccleston/Tennant-TARDIS, and that's what I'm (roughly) recreating (because, unlike some incredibly accurate builders on the forum, I'm not really worried about recreating the exact size, shape and colour of one particular TARDIS. I mean, chameleon circuit and all that... as long as it looks TARDIS-like... :) )

sillysparrowness

So... the roof. I'm afraid I messed up this one. When I started building, I didn't plan as far as the roof. So at a stage where I was already getting really impatient for the TARDIS to be finished, I had to pause and plan. And that didn't go over too well...

This is me doing some heavy thinking:

13 roof.jpg

I then proceeded to a roof structure (roughly mimicking what I had seen here on the forum), which looked quite OK... There's the lamp base:

13 roof1.jpg

I was actually impressed by my roof structure (considering that I was much happier excitedly painting the rest and couldn't really be bothered to make any effort for the roof, it really turned out quite well at first):

13 roof2.jpg

But then came another moment of shame, when the roof turned out to have huge gaps and I completely failed in finding a proper solution: Neither did I use my brain, nor did I consult the forum.... why? *stupid* Well, this is what happens when I get hasty and impatient. I figured I could reduce the gaps by flattening the roof, which worked jolly well, only that now (surprise, surprise) my roof is almost flat. *fail*
Looking at other builders roof structure now, I realise I should have filled the gaps with bars. Well, this is what I got:

13 roof3.jpg

I can't stop myself now from finishing the TARDIS in a blink of an eye (*can't wait*), so I'll go back this later and build another roof at some point. I'm really unhappy with my lamp, too anyway, so... This is just how I work. I finish quickly and then spend about the same amount of time it took me in the first place to correct my mistakes.

But now to something happier: Another great moment (for me) was screwing the door handle on: XD

14 doorhandle.jpg

And here's the update on the paint: Having a freshly painted, shiny new TARDIS, it was with a heavy heart that I decided to still go for the weathered Tennant-TARDIS-look, even if it meant to effectively dirty my glossy TARDIS. To help me decide, I made a sample which I weathered (NEXT UP: TARDIS weathering techniques) and I very bravely opted for the darker, dirty turquoise look in the end.

14 paint5.jpg

peted

I have to say that not only is this tardis looking great and is a brilliant idea (LOVE the folding walls and the ingenious way you've hidden the fold!), but this is the most fun build diary I have followed by far - the highs and the lows make it great reading! Keep us informed! :) Great progress pics too!

atomicgraph

the roof is a little tricky, but most of us end up with gaps, so don't sweat it. i'm also glad to see that your going to weather the paint, it just adds another dimension to a build, sorta brings it to life in my opinion.  i agree with peted this is a fun build diary (i was thinking that my self as i scrolled through it).

galacticprobe

Nov 22, 2011, 12:05 am #98 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011, 12:05 am by galacticprobe
What did you use for that round, white piece on the lamp base? (It almost looks like a section of the duct for our clothes dryer vent.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

sillysparrowness

Nov 22, 2011, 12:25 am #99 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011, 12:29 am by sillysparrowness
Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 22, 2011, 12:05 am
What did you use for that round, white piece on the lamp base? (It almost looks like a section of the duct for our clothes dryer vent.)

Dino.

I think it's a section of the duct for a range hood. I had to find something that could hold the lampshade I found in place and I found this in the second hardware store I was searching.

Thank you for the compliments on my build diary! That made me really proud. :D You should all cut it down a bit though, I'm getting slowly but surely ever so slightly full of myself. ;)

sillysparrowness

Nov 22, 2011, 12:33 am #100 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011, 12:34 am by sillysparrowness
On second thought, actually, don't! This is currently my happy place. Preserve it! :)

rocket

Then by all means stay happy, you deserve it.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

sillysparrowness

Hello, it's me, your favourite obsessive person! And I'm back with the weathering.

It's been suggested on the forum, I simultaneously got the lead from a colleague from the arts department: Take acrylic paint:

14 weathering0.jpg

Splash it on copious:

14 weathering1.jpg

And then spread it (I used cloth):

14 weathering2.jpg

14 weathering3.jpg

Also, hem hem, there's something I need to tell you. Like this forum, my build diary is actually time-shifted. That's because it takes a while to go through the video material and extract the stills.
So here's the thing: At this moment in time, my TARDIS is finished (well, for the time being). Of course, I'm going to finish the build diary, but if you want a glimpse at my build, here's the trailer for my TARDIS video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ttnCSVob4

JMinc

Fantastic work!  Also, fantastic trailer  ;D  I'm very much looking forward to seeing the end result!  I'm also very fond of the way you're making this diary.  The idea of filming the entire work process and then editing through for both the movie and the stills for this picture diary is great!  I've always hated the idea of stopping what I'm doing to take a picture, mostly because i usually end up changing everything later anyway :P 

Your idea of a collapsible tardis is fantastic as well.  For someone who will probably be apartment hopping for the next few years (me  :( ), the idea of a full sized tardis that you can stick under your bed is absolutely brilliant!! 

deck5

Quote from: sillysparrowness on Nov 22, 2011, 05:48 pmAlso, hem hem, there's something I need to tell you. Like this forum, my build diary is actually time-shifted.

So, it's some kind of TARDIS-based time travel!