Jul 14, 2024, 02:31 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sillysparrowness' collapsable and foldable TARDIS

Started by sillysparrowness, Oct 20, 2011, 01:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

Quote from: sillysparrowness on Nov 15, 2011, 09:36 pm
Huh! Wow. Interesting. BLACK shoe polish, seriously? You do you people come up with these things... ? Ok, I'm going to try it, thanks!  :)

By the way -- do both sides!

architect

another interesting build step :D and black shoe polish? I would have thought some sort of white something or other, the sanding only being to let the white what ever bond well and uniform so as to look like the plastic was solid. something I have used in the past. just needed to test several things to find what worked. finally settled on cheap white acrylic spray paint.
Sincerely, and most appreciatively,
The Architect.
www.borgsteamfactory.com/contact.html

deck5

Nov 16, 2011, 02:39 am #77 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2011, 02:42 am by deck5
With the black shoe polish method, it remains in the tiny scratches made by the fine steel wool.  It produces an excellent result.  Possibly another colour of polish would work as well.

atomicgraph

ha, thats the second time shoe polish has been suggested on this board sounds like a must for "the tardis tool box". great idea by the way. there are also light diffusers that are white you could probably place that behind the clear to get the same effect... most the time they have a texture surface on one side though.

maverickjsmith

Signage! Getting closer...

They look good, just fine in fact :)

Maverick 8)
Maverick

sillysparrowness

Nov 17, 2011, 09:37 pm #80 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2011, 09:39 pm by sillysparrowness
Working myself up from the base to the top, I've reached the police sign-section. As mentioned before, I need it to hold the panel/posts-construction in place, to get rid of the whole wollbliness.

10 pbssection1.jpg

10 pbssection2.jpg

I cobbled it together in my living room, to fit it on top of the TARDIS. I realised quite late that I hadn't really bought any wood for this, because I figured I'd have enough left, which is why I started using spare wood, like some pickets from my old fence. (Paint can solve everything...)

10 pbssection3.jpg

10 pbssection4.jpg

This is the finished police box sign-section (without signs, obviously) - and guess what: It's actually steady! Woo-hoo!  :D

10 pbssection5.jpg

deck5

sillysparrowness

Nov 17, 2011, 10:50 pm #82 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2011, 10:51 pm by sillysparrowness
*SIGH* Don't get me started on the lamp... Can't seem to find one. Combed through every hardware and garden store nearby, in vain. B&Q garden lantern is out of reach, divers anchor lamps too expensive... Looks like I have to BUILD ONE (which, for some reason offends me, whilst I should just accept the challenge...).
Anyway, yeah, I'm working on the lamp. Building one myself. Got a daring solution for the top. Was lucky to find a glass that looked somewhat close. Am gluing now and stuff... *hating it*

deck5

If you need any measurements or pictures of lanterns, don't hesitate to ask.  I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBT7A0/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
and I'm sure there are other varieties around for reference.

sillysparrowness

Nov 18, 2011, 05:59 pm #84 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011, 06:00 pm by sillysparrowness
Wow, that is a perfect lantern! I immediately tried to buy it, but then, with shipping, it was up to a 60$. So, as I'm already cobbling together my own lamp, I'll try to find one in Germany, for less shipping costs or whatever. And then I'll change it later...
But, thanks, really, you gave me new hope!

sillysparrowness

Nov 18, 2011, 06:03 pm #85 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011, 06:05 pm by sillysparrowness
Another change of plans: I originally wanted to fix the police signs to the police sign section. But the way the latter turned out, I realized they were bound to get damaged in the assembling process. Luckily, they are really light, so I simply used magnets to hold them in place (and, just for a bit of extra grip) little bars on the posts or base (depends), to hang them on to.

11signs00.jpg

11signs0.jpg

On a side note, on top of me trying to do some entertaining teaching, there is a (really minuscule) allusion to Doctor Who in my new video "Ooh, metaphor!" (But YOU already know there's a lot more coming up... :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2DTH1Fiz0&feature=channel_video_title

*exited* Am already working on the TARDIS video btw. It's going to be very elaborate... and I'm making a trailer! (Always go big if you can help it...  ;) )
Oh, and... Next up on my build diary: FINALLY THE PAINT MOMENT!

deck5

You're a speedy builder.  I'm looking forward to the blue paint, myself!

Are your signs backed by white?  The one you're holding up looks transparent.

peted

Fabulous execution of the foldability there! If only mine had been a bit more mobile - for 1) I lost a FORTUNE on 'tardis for hire' fees :) (I was asked A LOT!) and 2) When I moved house, the 'old girl' couldn't come with me and so, after 5 years of good service, she was broken apart and bonfired - best Guy Fawkes night ever though...

sillysparrowness

Quote from: deck5 on Nov 18, 2011, 06:14 pm
Are your signs backed by white?  The one you're holding up looks transparent.

Yes, they are. And yes, it is. As seen above (15th november), I used white foil, but I didn't buy enough the first time, so I couldn't use it on all the signs and windows. So... in the picture, there's no white foil on the back of the sign yet.

Quote from: peted on Nov 18, 2011, 07:04 pm
the 'old girl' couldn't come with me and so, after 5 years of good service, she was broken apart and bonfired - best Guy Fawkes night ever though...

Aw! Aw! *hurts* That is such a sad tale! Uh! To burn a TARDIS! Well, I'm too close to the building experience and the sweat and the tears I guess...  ;)

sillysparrowness

Ta-daaaa! PAINT!

12 paint.jpg

Again, I figured the paint to be one of these things that had to be more professionally to drag the rest along. So I had it mixed, which is always more expensive, but ultimately (we hope) worth it. I had taken a few printed TARDIS pictures (Tennant-era) to the store and chose the blue shade out of many many others. Made me very nervous, of course. What if it's not right?!
The first layer of paint didn't help, the result being VERY TURQUOISE!

12 paint2.jpg

It got better with the second layer though.

12 paint3.jpg

And the third calmed me down.

12 paint4.jpg

Next up: The roof, on which I was working simultaneously.