Apr 18, 2024, 11:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Dials on console's underside

Started by kert gantry, Oct 17, 2011, 10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kert gantry

Oct 17, 2011, 10:21 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2011, 10:25 pm by kert gantry
Forgive me as I think this may have been covered before (a cursory search yielded nothing), but does anyone have a definitive answer as to what the white dials on the underside of the Mk.1 console were for?  

Undersidecon1.jpgUndersidecon2.jpg

My guess is they were to turn the control panel lights on and off, and maybe the column itself. Anyone know how many of these dials there were originally, and under which panels? I seem to remember that at least one looked quite askew towards the end of the console's life, as if it was about to fall off.  Possibly a few had gone completely by then?

celation

My feeling was that they were something to do with the controls apparently working themselves in Tenth Planet 4 - but as your pictures show, they're nowhere near the panel that's seen to operate itself. So I've no idea.

maverickjsmith

Perhaps they're knobs on giant screws to hold the paneling on ???

Probably not but I think it's more likely.

Maverick
Maverick

Rassilons Rod

Oct 18, 2011, 03:18 am #3 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 03:49 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: celation on Oct 17, 2011, 11:11 pm
My feeling was that they were something to do with the controls apparently working themselves in Tenth Planet 4 - but as your pictures show, they're nowhere near the panel that's seen to operate itself. So I've no idea.

They also existed way back in An Unearthly Child too...
RadiationPanel.jpg

Although, I must say I have never spotted that one underneath what I have been calling the "Hydra" panel. That is the one to the left of the one with the two white speaker panels and the red box.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Hmm. Still think they might be to do with controlling the controls above.

The image you posted is around the time that the radiation meter does its thing - so the knobs could be to turn up the radiation meter reading and kick in the flasher by someone out of shot, under the console. Possible...

The other panel I've seen with a control underneath is the panel which does its stuff in TP4:

EE-004.JPG

No idea what the "hydra" panel does that would be interesting, though.

Rassilons Rod

I wonder if this could mean that the panels were taken off at all. I mean, I know they were never out of sequence, like Tom's console, but it could explain why some of the ping pong balls had nearly all their paint scratched off by the time of "The Aztecs".

I make this suggestion because of the knobs appearing under different panels. I guess more research is needed, though I have to admit, previously I had only ever noticed them in the above pic from Power.
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Oct 18, 2011, 10:22 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 18, 2011, 10:40 pm by kert gantry
Thanks for all the musings, gents.  Have begun looking for more photos featuring the dials.  I'd always thought the Radiation Counter panel was the only one to have two dials underneath  - and I'm still very tempted by the theory that they were to operate it for the Firemaker/Dead Planet cliffhanger scene.  But then there's this rehearsal shot from Unearthly Child....  

UnearthlyDials.JPG

Edit: Checking through other pics on the site, in The Mind Robber the Radiation Counter has lost both its white dials, while the above panel is down to one. By The War Games that dial has gone too. 

Rassilons Rod

Hmmm... could be you're right... If they are tied to the meters.....

What do we know so far. Two under this panel, two meters on top... Could they have had variable resistors in them?
Public Enema Number One.

celation

It's possible, isn't it? Is there a shot in Unearthly Child where the meters go wild? Can't remember now...

All the shots of meters working are in close-up, as far as I remember (you probably wouldn't see it otherwise...) so they would be able to be worked from underneath - out of shot.

kert gantry

Oct 19, 2011, 10:36 pm #9 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 11:16 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: celation on Oct 19, 2011, 09:35 am
It's possible, isn't it? Is there a shot in Unearthly Child where the meters go wild? Can't remember now...

Just been watching the take-off sequence from the broadcast version of Unearthly.  Can't really see the metres, but the console lights certainly seem to go into a bit of a tizz.  Could be nothing, but as the camera begins to pan up from the console towards the scanner, Hartnell quickly leans down to somewhere near the Radiation Counter and adjusts... something*.

UCTakeoff1.jpg

*Looking again, maybe he's turning the scanner on.  Have just compared this with the two unbroadcast versions of the same shot. In one of those he leans over the console and upsets some kind of gizmo on a wire (there's a faint rattle as whatever it is falls across the control panel).  Odd.   

Rassilons Rod

Oct 19, 2011, 11:20 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 11:27 pm by rassilonsrod
Then the only question here is, what does the one do on the "Fast Return" panel?

Underneath the Radiation Panel, there are 2 knobs, but 3 meters (if you include the Radiation Meter itself).

So far we have:

Radiation Panel: Three Meters - two knobs under
Telepathic Panel: Two Meters - two knobs under
Fast Return Panel: No Meters - one knob under (Not seen in Edge of Destruction)
Hydra Panel: No Meters - one knob under (Though doesn't seem to be visible in the early days).

Edge Of Destruction: Fast Return panel without underside knob.
EoD-1__0008_Layer 57.jpg

Web Planet: Hydra Panel
N39a.jpg

Web Of Fear: Telepathic Panel
05x05-The_Web_Of_Fear__0023_Layer 7.jpg
05x05-The_Web_Of_Fear__0024_Layer 6.jpg

The Mind Robber: Telepathic Panel - one knob
06x02-TheMindRobber__0005_Layer 44.jpg
d2-2u-007.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Thanks for those pictures, rassilonsrod.  Yes, it looks like you've established with some certainty that the dials turn up when a particular bit of the console is required to do a special bit of business.  The telepathic panel is the one that is seen to go nuts during take-off in Unearthly Child, and has two dials underneath.  The radiation counter does it's thing in The Firemaker/Dead Planet and again, there are the dials below. Nothing under the Fast Return panel, apparently, until it works itself in Tenth Planet. 

As for the control panels being removable, my feeling is that they were fixed, can't prove it though.

Rassilons Rod

I would have thought they were fixed too, because they never changed position relative to eachother.

My feeling re: the knobs is that they would be attached to meters where a needle would be required to move over a scale...

Though that doesn't really explain the Fast Return panel or the Hydra panel.
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Feb 03, 2013, 10:42 am #13 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2013, 10:46 am by kert gantry
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 22, 2011, 11:16 am
I would have thought they were fixed too, because they never changed position relative to eachother.

Unusual shot of the set from Edge of Destruction, showing that one of the dials from Unearthly Child has already gone (maybe shifted to one of the other panels?).

Note also the thin underside partially hanging down.  Presumably the panel interiors were accessed by unfastening this; further evidence that the original console panels were indeed fixed.  

edgedialgrab.jpg

galacticprobe

Feb 05, 2013, 05:23 am #14 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
I would think that if those under-panel knobs were used to hold the underside part of the console (access panel?) in place then they would be placed one at each end rather than two side by side on only one end (sort of a lopsided fastening there), and not every panel had one of these knobs under it. Also, when you consider that this console had the flared "V" shape to those arms under the console, it would make accessing the electrics from underneath rather difficult as those Vs took up a large space (when you put the two corners of them together).

Most of the controls on the console had visible screws that held them in place, meaning they could be removed for maintenance/repair from above. And those corner pieces on top of the console were much smaller than those underneath. In some close publicity photos you can see screws holding them in place, so again it would be easier to remove them and a full panel to get at electrics from above rather than underneath.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"