Apr 19, 2024, 10:56 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS mailbox

Started by ehekkert, Oct 04, 2011, 08:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Well, it's the only story where The Doctor wears his cape, but not his jacket.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

ehekkert

I didn't know that. :)

Never saw the really old Dr Who episodes. I felt that this build was also a good excuse the start watching all of them.
Quotations   It's not how many years you've lived, Will... but how you've lived them.

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives... because they will never come again.

We are after all only mortal.

ehekkert

Oct 24, 2011, 05:37 pm #17 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 08:34 pm by ehekkert
The first finished (unpainted) door.

WP_000360 (Custom).jpg WP_000362 (Custom).jpg
Quotations   It's not how many years you've lived, Will... but how you've lived them.

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives... because they will never come again.

ehekkert

Since the mail could block the door if it opened to the inside i had to make it so it can open to the front which meant putting the hinge the way you can see it in the image. I do realise i didn't quite do that the easiest way but it's already done now. Luckely the paint will be hiding the hinge again.

WP_000365 (Custom).jpg

ehekkert

Just realised i made an error with one of the panels. The one right below the window is too big and the middle spacer is too thin.  :(
On the picture the line shows where the panel should have ended.

I'm going to have to see if i can fix this in a satisfactory way or if I'll have to redo the whole door.

WP_000366 (Custom).jpg

ehekkert

With a coat of paint no one will notice the fix. :)

WP_000368 (Custom).jpg WP_000370 (Custom).jpg

ehekkert

There is still enough to to. Both side panels and the back panel still need to be made. There are also some gaps where my sawing capabilities failed a bit and i still have a few more things that need my attention.

However the doors are (almost) completely done. The lock is in and works. Both doors can be opened all be it to the outside. After all it would be hard to open them to the inside if there is enough mail in there.

WP_000388 (Custom).jpg  WP_000387 (Custom).jpg

sillysparrowness

This is so unbelievably cute!! And, of course, great work. (Everyone here is so much better than me, it is depressing... Still, glad to be part of it.)

Can't wait to see it in blue!! Hurry up!  :)

ehekkert

I'm wondering how much other builders are spending on there TARDIS.

Since i didn't get the policebox signs and door sign made somewhere that saved me some money (They're just pieces of glass that i already had and a color print behind it). However so far i've spend 181,41 euro (about US$250) on materials and 205,49 euro (about US$282) on tools that i had to buy. Luckely i already had some tools and i was able to borrow others from my brother.

ehekkert

It's been a while since I posted anything new. Work has been very busy leaving my mentally exhausted in the evening.

Quote from: sillysparrowness on Nov 02, 2011, 06:04 pm
Can't wait to see it in blue!! Hurry up!  :)

At the moment most of the TARDIS covered in primer and soon I'll start with the blue paint. But before doing that I'll first need to figure out what kind of blue I'll need. It's suppose the be (somewhat) like the one in An Unearthly Child. I didn't see any colour pictures of it, nor do i know if those actually exist.

ehekkert

Feb 13, 2012, 05:40 pm #25 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 10:10 pm by ehekkert
Doesn't look like much when it's all grey.
WP_000000 (Custom).jpg

With the roof painted the color seemed very off compared to what i had in mind.
WP_000003 (Custom).jpg

Luckily it got better when covered in more paint.
WP_000006 (Custom).jpg WP_000007 (Custom).jpg
WP_000025 (Custom).jpg WP_000044 (Custom).jpg

I don't have the most steady hand so the "St John Ambulance" part isn't that good but, for me, it's acceptable.
WP_000067 (Custom).jpg WP_000072 (Custom).jpg

Bottom windows done and the light on.
WP_000085 (Custom).jpg

DoctorWho8

Looks very good!  Shane it's just a mailbox and not full-size.  Still, it gives you some practice for the real thing.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

ehekkert

I thought of making a full size one but I soon found out that my ceiling is just a bit too low. I also wanted it to actually be useful which is why i decided on making it a mailbox.

Mark

What a beautiful box you have made. Looks great.

The St John badge looks fine, you have a steadier hand than me!

ehekkert

Wish that we were a bit further into the year so the temperature would be up a bit. Then i can start on putting a block of concrete in the ground and mount the TARDIS on it. For the moment I just need to be patient.

I did however want to see how it would look outside in the daylight. Here is the result.

Outside (Custom).jpg