Apr 19, 2024, 06:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door Sign Reference

Started by Scarfwearer, May 14, 2009, 03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

astromark

This is what I have come up with for the AWJ door sign. I have this a a PDF as well. I think it's pretty accurate.AWJPTOSign.png

Scarfwearer

Looks great!
I think deck5 will be able to host them, so if you could send it to him we can get it into the table.
Thanks!

vortexion

Are any members able to confirm if Police Boxes Brachaki type ('63) Originals had the signage on door panel were made of real glass?? Thanks!

lofiscifi

Sep 28, 2018, 09:48 am #243 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 09:51 am by lofiscifi
This took WAY longer than I'd care to admit to, but I've finally managed to track down the fonts (or, at least a 99% match) on the new TARDIS for anyone interested:
Antonio (condensed text) and Estrangelo Edessa (everything else).

Side by side for comparison:
jodie-sign-orig.jpgjodie-sign-insitu.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Which Font? Reminds me of Eurostile :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Angelus Lupus

Sep 28, 2018, 02:30 pm #245 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 03:08 pm by Angelus Lupus
Brilliant! I was having no luck matching those fonts!

So I'm playing around with the fonts you used and the only notable difference I see is the ampersand, what did you do for that?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Sep 29, 2018, 05:39 am #246 Last Edit: Sep 29, 2018, 06:12 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Sep 28, 2018, 10:02 am
Which Font?

I think the "POLICE TELEPHONE" and "PULL TO OPEN" are the ones done in Antonio (a font I've never heard of before now, but one I have to find now because it can be useful for many things), while the rest of the sign is done in Estrangelo Edessa (a font my computer already has on it, oddly enough, but it's all strange symbols).

lofiscifi, just for giggles I put my original Estrangelo Edessa font in a different folder and replaced it with one I've just downloaded, and this new one looks exactly like your Estrangelo Edessa font. (Anyone know how to change the name of a font so the computer will recognize it as a different one? With one "Estrangelo" font giving me nothing but symbols, and this new one giving me what it's supposed to look like, I'd like to rename that symbolic one as I can always make use of symbolic font. And rather than derail this topic, if anyone knows how to rename a font (other than just changing the filename, which didn't work), just shoot me a PM.)

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Sep 28, 2018, 10:02 am
Reminds me of Eurostile :)

What version of Eurostile? The version that came with my computer looks very similar to the font they've used on starships since "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (the simpler version, not the one with the red outline around it: also the same font they used to put the "U.S.S. VOYAGER" on that starship). The rounded letters (C, D, O, Q, U, etc.) are more squarish with rounded corners.

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Sep 28, 2018, 02:30 pm
So I'm playing around with the fonts you used and the only notable difference I see is the ampersand, what did you do for that?

Great question, Angelus. My new Estrangelo Edessa looks like the rest of the sign, but the ampersand is different. (I've got hundreds of fonts on these computers and it could take me hours to find a close match, which I'm just not up to tonight.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

It's worth noting (for those that understand typesetting speak) that as I'm making my own vector version (Inkscape, in case you wanted to know), all I have to adjust is the 'spacing between words' to make the Antonio font match exactly.
The rest requires much more tweaking of each letter position, which (along with the ampersand) makes me think there's a closer matching font waiting to be found!  ;D

Oh, and I also found a version of the 'estrangelo' font which was symbols.  ???

galacticprobe

Sep 30, 2018, 04:10 am #248 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 04:10 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Sep 29, 2018, 03:18 pm
Oh, and I also found a version of the 'estrangelo' font which was symbols.  ???

Welcome to the "Estrangelo Edessa Symbol Font Version Club"! (And yes; I'm just as confoosed(sic) as you are.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lofiscifi

Oct 04, 2018, 09:22 pm #249 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 09:30 pm by lofiscifi
Estrangelo Edessa is the closest to my knowledge ... and yes, the ampersand was hijacked from yucky, old Gill Sans. To be completely honest, the production designers may well have done something like that because the ampersand character in Estrangelo Edessa looks a bit odd (however, Estrangelo Edessa as a whole is less common than Gills Sans and looks more 'ownable').

Same version below, but with better kerning - it's worth noting I'd distorted the original source image to be more 'square on', so we have to play a bit of assumption work here.

jodie-sign-insitu.png

Angelus Lupus

After (way too much eye-straining) searching and comparing, I'd also picked Gill Sans for the ampersand. It's weird, but everything matches up so perfectly that I have to agree on the strange Estrangelo/Gill mix. Nice work, lofiscifi!  :)

Kingpin

Excluding the Glasgow boxes, did any of the TARDIS-style units in/around London feature an embossed metal plate for the telephone?

lym

Oct 05, 2018, 06:38 pm #252 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018, 06:39 pm by lymerence
I wouldn't think so, but as odd findings regarding Met boxes have shown, it's impossible to 100% rule anything out. The only thing that really comes close is the very old bottom signs that lasted from 1930 to about 1936/1937:

29070319786_afc405e0ab_o.jpg

Even then, it doesn't look embossed to me. It seems printed.

Kingpin

lymerence, cheers for the input. :)  Those older instructional signs on the early boxes did come to mind, but like you, I couldn't recall any embossed versions... Only printed ones.

lofiscifi

They always appear litho/screen-printed to me. Maybe etched in some cases? They definitely didn't use back-lit laser cut acrylic (I'm looking at you: Smith/Capaldi box).  ;D