Apr 26, 2024, 08:57 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door Sign Reference

Started by Scarfwearer, May 14, 2009, 03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lofiscifi

Another one - this time, the Brachacki Altered version... this is very much an 'idealised' design, with the text all properly centred and evenly spaced, using Trade Gothic Bold Condensed and URW Grotesk... I may also do the 'wonky' version at some point.

3_Brachacki_altered_rev1_in-situ.jpg

jontennant

NewberyDoorSign_20170826231033549.jpgdr who tom baker 10.jpg these are from the photo on page 13 I believe, I cleaned then up a bit. I'll do more tomorrow
Jontennant -  'The Other Doctor'

jontennant

6088771668_1ebce0d4cd.jpg18252494_1781302282183623_1275267616583188480_n.jpg Look what I've got! ;D
Jontennant -  'The Other Doctor'

lofiscifi

Removed my original attempt at a genuinely hand-drawn/painted Newbury sign - it was *too* wonky for my liking, so here's my second attempt at 'The Newbery Original'... It's never going to be the same as painting by hand, but hopefully this is close enough.

2_Newbery_original_small.jpg

tony farrell

What a pity you removed your post - I thought your version of the wonky Newbery was excellent.

Before you removed it, I took the liberty of downloading it. Would you mind if I use it in the up-coming Newbery Tardis history?

T

galacticprobe

Sep 04, 2017, 05:04 am #230 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2017, 05:06 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Sep 03, 2017, 10:11 pm
What a pity you removed your post - I thought your version of the wonky Newbery was excellent.

I have to agree with Tony. Some of us like the wonky look because it is a lot like the original. If I may suggest, why not edit your post above to include both versions: Hand-painted "wonky" version, and Cleaned-up-hand-painted version? This way we can see the difference, and have both for reference. It will also give members a choice of which one they would like to copy for their Newbery builds. (It will also show off your progression as you made this replica.)

You may think it's wonky, but to the rest of us, it is still artwork that you put time and effort into making, and should be proud of it. It really would be a great addition to the references.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

I agree,

The "wonky" sign had a charm of it's own.
Shame you took it down.

Wonkiness is an intrinsic part of original Who's charm & I love seeing it incorporated into the builds here.

Regards,

Russell

danielc

Hi can someone make a PDF of the Earl's Court Door sign please? earls_court_box_c.2006-phone_door_sign.jpg

boxman550

2017 series 10 TARDIS door sign 1_-pf4sR_WsLS2QsI-NiQIFw.jpg1_oqOr7OsKf2OXn8uT7P3_CQ.jpg may not look it but its diffrent to the 2010 one

galacticprobe

Dec 06, 2017, 06:12 pm #234 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2017, 06:13 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: boxman550 on Dec 06, 2017, 05:15 pm
2017 series 10 TARDIS door sign... may not look it but its diffrent to the 2010 one

Oh yeah. It definitely looks it. And as I mentioned in a post in another thread, there was some discussion on the Series 10 Phone Panel sign: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5156.msg85443#msg85443. It starts there and goes down the thread. Angelus Lupus has a great line-spacing measurement graphics a few posts down from there showing just how much the Series 10 Phone Panel differs from its previous version just in how the lines are spaced alone.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

Interesting little sidebar in the latest DWM Yearbook...

IMG_zpss1rbgbp7.jpg

At least we have font confirmations...

danielc

Scan of Build a TARDIS (1987)  Door signDoors - Copy.jpg

Scarfwearer

If anyone would like to volunteer to produce a PDF vector-drawn version of the new Arwel Wyn Jones door sign, there's a gap in the table at the top of this thread just waiting for it. The intention is that these should be suitably scaled for use on a full-sized build.

TheWitch

That would be most helpful!

- Razz

TheWitch