Apr 18, 2024, 06:27 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door Sign Reference

Started by Scarfwearer, May 14, 2009, 03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

The Caretaker has given us a pretty good face on shot of the door panel from the TARDIS studio set:

16_zps23c02e27.jpg

DoctorWho8

Along with the pushed in door sign and the separating central divider. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Oct 10, 2014, 06:21 am #197 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2014, 06:21 am by galacticprobe
Looks like the main lighting source for this is at the top and bottom. (Well, at least at the top; that's where the brightest area is. There is an area at the bottom that's not quite as bright, so it could be a reflector, or just a light source that's set a little deeper - lower - inside the box.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the doctor who2

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 10, 2014, 06:21 am
Looks like the main lighting source for this is at the top and bottom. (Well, at least at the top; that's where the brightest area is. There is an area at the bottom that's not quite as bright, so it could be a reflector, or just a light source that's set a little deeper - lower - inside the box.)

Dino.

If i remember rightly on all the windows and the door panels there should be a ring of LED strip around the perspex edge
and to help refract the light they laser etch the perspex on the interior face and edge.
so either the panel is a little too long and the lights not reaching, or they only had enough LEDs for the top half and not the bottom or they've used an old panel with fading LED's on the bottom half.

Anyway, i've been getting quite far with my 3D Hudolin Computer Model and was looking at the current Door sign available on here.
unfortunately it lacks the character of hand painted sign, so i've come up with this;

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/theDoctorWHO2/HudolinTardisDoorSign04_zpsa5a5ab41.png

Let me know what you think :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

galacticprobe

Oct 12, 2014, 04:54 am #199 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2014, 04:56 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: the doctor who2 on Oct 11, 2014, 05:49 pm

Just a minor deviation from the actual thread, but, wow, the doctor who2! That's one heck of a great Hudolin PTO panel sign! You should save a copy of that as a PDF and e-mail it to one of the Mods so they can add it to the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306 table as another Hudolin option for people to download.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the doctor who2

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 12, 2014, 04:54 am
Quote from: the doctor who2 on Oct 11, 2014, 05:49 pm

Just a minor deviation from the actual thread, but, wow, the doctor who2! That's one heck of a great Hudolin PTO panel sign! You should save a copy of that as a PDF and e-mail it to one of the Mods so they can add it to the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306 table as another Hudolin option for people to download.

Dino.

Thanks Galacticprobe

There are a couple of tweaks i want to make to it before it gets added to the list.
But once its done all definitely send it to the Mod to add :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

Sorvan

I was thinking about vinyl cutting the Brachacki Original (1963) door sign that Deck5 posted, but thought that the vector artwork posted wasn't as clean as it could be for this purpose.  I redrew the letters, did some minor tweaks to spacing and alignment and hopefully it'll be available at the top of this thread soon.

Enjoy!

Colin

absolutely

Made a TYJ Mk II PTO Sign - lemme know what you all think  ;D

tyj pto_waifu2x_photo_noise3.png

galacticprobe

Apr 03, 2016, 05:37 am #203 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2016, 05:43 am by galacticprobe
Well, Bazzle, from what I can see of it (white letters on a really pale blue-grey background), it looks pretty spot on. If your intent is to have this printed on a clear film so you can stick it on a painted TARDIS and let the TARDIS' blue paint serve as the background (like on the TY-J mk II), then it should work fine. But if this is for printing on something else - such as paper to be laminated and used for the Phone Panel sign, then you may want to consider adding some sort of blue for the background. (White letters on white paper don't work all that well. ;) In fact, when I opened the image in a new window hoping to see a larger version of it, I got white on white and couldn't see a thing.)

As far as the design goes I think you've got it pretty well figured out (though if you were looking for one to use on a build, there is already one to download as a PDF from here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306).

Dino.

absolutely

Apr 03, 2016, 02:39 pm #204 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2016, 02:42 pm by Bazzle
You can say it's terrible, I don't mind  ;D

I didn't very much like the other one since it was much too aliased.

tyj pto_waifu2x_photo_noise3 blue.png

galacticprobe

Apr 04, 2016, 04:33 am #205 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016, 04:46 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Bazzle on Apr 03, 2016, 02:39 pm
You can say it's terrible, I don't mind  ;D

Baz, it wasn't terrible! On the Forum's pale background that I have set I could see the lettering (just) and it looked very fine indeed. It was when I opened the image in a new window that had a white background and realized I couldn't see the white lettering against the white, that I thought it was terrible that you couldn't see the great job you did matching the lettering. Your Phone Panel sign was certainly not terrible; it just needed some color tweaking to the background.

(And for the record, even if it was terrible I'm sure I could have found a more encouraging way to let you know that it wasn't the best. I would never have said it was terrible, and I don't think anyone else would have done either. We're here to boost peoples' efforts, not shoot them down in flames. :))

Quote from: Bazzle on Apr 03, 2016, 02:39 pm
I didn't very much like the other one since it was much too aliased.

Quite possibly. Not everyone is going to be happy with how some of the signs' PDF (or JPG) repros turned out. Your new one is much easier to see (as compared to your first one), and looks even better with that blue.

Quick question, now that the lettering is easier to see: did you intend the letters in POLICE to be slightly smaller than those in TELEPHONE or was that a font sizing error? Also, the wording as you have it is more like that of the TY-J mk I rather than that of the TY-J mk II Phone Panel. The mk II used the "OFFICERS & CARS RESPOND TO ALL CALLS", whereas the mk I is worded like yours.

Dino.

d0ct0r200004

Just thought I'd let you guys know incase no one else has, that the font used on the 2010 pull to open sign, the middle bit with officers and cars respond to all calls, the font is called Gill Sans Std.

Took me ages to find it on the internet without any clue of the name.

i191^cimgpsh_orig.png

This is the update to my 2010 exterior, 3D text :D

yay
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2016, 04:53 am #207 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016, 07:01 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: d0ct0r200004 on Jun 24, 2016, 01:54 am
Just thought I'd let you guys know incase no one else has, that the font used on the 2010 pull to open sign, the middle bit with officers and cars respond to all calls, the font is called Gill Sans Std.

Well... actually... about half way down on Page 3 of this very thread, DoctorWho8 had IDed the fonts used on this sign. You can take a look at his post here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306.msg4271#msg4271.

I knew I'd seen it mentioned somewhere before. (That 'Search' bar near the top of the Main Page is a big help when it comes to things like this.)

Dino.

d0ct0r200004

Was looking for ages >.> Still happy with my 3D text tho :D
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Jun 27, 2016, 07:02 am #209 Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016, 07:03 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: d0ct0r200004 on Jun 26, 2016, 04:50 pm
Was looking for ages >.> Still happy with my 3D text tho :D

Not sure what happened to my link above, but I've fixed it so you can just click on it now and it will take you straight to Bill's post.

Dino.