Apr 20, 2024, 05:50 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 Console Panel Control Layouts

Started by Scarfwearer, Aug 24, 2011, 04:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

I agree, that is a white light. All the indicator lights on this console have been white. I still feel one white light laves this panel unbalanced. So on my build I'm going to throw an additional one on there to even it out, I'll just have to decide if I want it on the end of the orange or red row of buttons.

Nate
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

On the blue panel there appears to be a white "something" at the end of the orange and red rows of buttons.....
what%20the_zpsddtpb3ru.jpg

They could be rectangular, they could be white lines, they might be more circular indicator lights that are obscured by the angle. I have no Idea.

but there is something there. I used to think it was light leakage from inside the console from a seam or something.

timewomble

It could be that there are two black buttons, which have white borders at the base, or it could be that the panel is slightly out of alignment and that's the edge?

warmcanofcoke

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 16, 2015, 11:50 am
On the blue panel there appears to be a white "something" at the end of the orange and red rows of buttons.....
what%20the_zpsddtpb3ru.jpg

lightsfantastic-original.jpg

Trying to make sense of the pictures again. Is that white dot a circular indicator light? or is it a white rectangular button?

tony farrell

Hi Nate, if this is the same open panel as shown in the grab with the arrow added, that means there are three white 'somethings' which look square to me (at least in the top picture).
Tony

galacticprobe

Apr 17, 2015, 05:00 am #81 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015, 05:11 am by galacticprobe
Well, once again lightening this as much as practicable:
WhiteWhatsits.jpg
There are definitely three white "somethings" there. Looking at the lightened image (cropped) that had the Time Lord guards in it, that white button/indicator (it could be either or both) next to the green row definitely looks round; it's smoother and more uniform in shape than the rectangular switches in the rows, which still look rectangular. So I would say that white one is round.

The "white" thingies in the above image are so "slit-like" it's hard to tell what they are. They could even be round indicators like the one next to the green row, but with black bezels around them (sort of like the rectangular ones you've got, Nate, with that black "lip" on the narrow ends, only these could have the "lip" all around the button/indicator).

The round one you spotted next to the green row could also have that same lip around it. In the post higher up it's almost straight-on, small, and hard to tell. In this lightened image here, with those white thingies looking like "slits", the possibility of the round white button with a black lip all around it is at least plausible, and what we're seeing is just the very tops of the buttons/indicators making them look like slits, and all three could be identical.

Thoughts on that?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Apr 17, 2015, 12:37 pm #82 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015, 01:00 pm by warmcanofcoke
Well, if it is a series of three indicator lights, it would look like this:
speculation2_zpsam2lwl3l.jpg

The panel looks a little more even here and less unbalanced with only the one light.

galacticprobe

Apr 18, 2015, 06:40 am #83 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015, 06:40 am by galacticprobe
I agree, Nate. I think we might have this one sorted out... for now. (Until someone pops out of the woodwork with some on-the-set photos taken while working on the show during Season 14... or one of us gets a TARDIS to actually work, pops back, steals borrows the console to take great photos and measurements, puts the console back, and then rescues it at the end of S14 before it falls victim to the skip!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Found a photo I missed in the DVD photo Gallery of Deadly Assassin.
there%20is%20a%20light_zpsdbj9ffys.jpg

Yep - there is a light on that panel ....

warmcanofcoke

Apr 04, 2016, 03:56 am #85 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016, 04:13 am by warmcanofcoke
Wow - Didn't expect to find these shots.

Robots%20of%20Death%20002_zpshe02djk3.jpg
Robots%20of%20Death_zpskgjvey8z.jpg

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 15, 2015, 01:27 am
After looking at the Photo with the guards again, it looks like that light on the blue panel is in line with the green row of buttons. I have no idea if the Blue panel has any additional detail.
season%2014%20console-best_zpsgk7xbomf.jpg
ideal_new_zpshcdrq8yl.jpg

galacticprobe

Apr 04, 2016, 05:44 am #86 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016, 05:47 am by galacticprobe
Nate, do you think it's possible that the light we're seeing on that panel in these images is the top white light above the screen mesh, and that another like it is below the mesh? From the close-ups where you can see that panel from an oblique angle, it looks like there may be a mesh on the left side of those switch/button rows, rather than on the right side as on the other two button panels. (Maybe someone put that panel together backwards? Or cut the holes for the lights straddling the mesh on the wrong side?)

If both sides of the panel are black, then it is at least plausible that someone assembled that one panel wrong way round, and rather than undoing everything they just left it that way thinking no one would ever notice. (Remember: no forethought of advanced DVD technology and fans' overuse of the PAUSE button to glean every detail they could so they could build a replica of the props!)

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 04, 2016, 11:34 am #87 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2016, 11:47 am by warmcanofcoke
It is definitely possible.  8)

speculation3l_zpse9ooswnw.jpg

It looks like there isn't actually a mesh on the panel that starts with a blue row of rectangle buttons. It looks like the hole for the light was drilled at the end of the second row of rectangle switches. Weather this was by accident or design is a mystery of the ages.

galacticprobe

Apr 05, 2016, 03:47 am #88 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2016, 04:01 am by galacticprobe
So much work and details went into this little cutie that it's a shame she didn't get more screen time, or more than just one season. (And she keeps throwing more secrets at us! Will she ever give all of them up?)

One thing I'm really starting to think, comparing this panel to the other two with the rectangle buttons, is that this one was (most likely) assembled wrong way round. The other two panels have the buttons offset to the left of the small round buttons/switches across the top; this one is offset to the right, which is what would happen if it was assembled backwards. Intentional or accident, we'll never know, but if you look at the pattern of where the switches at the top are in relation to the rows of buttons, you can see that all three panels could have had the holes for everything drilled at the same time (all three stacked together). So they might have intended for all three panels to look identical when completed.

For all we know, one person could have assembled the other two panels, and then if that person wasn't available for some reason, they could have gotten someone else to assemble this last panel, and he could have done so without having looked at the other two: putting the switches and buttons on with the panel backwards. Then rather than having to undo it all to turn the panel around and then re-assemble it (time, and that costs money), they just left it as is. (Another mystery for the ages, ;) but at least it is a plausible one.)

Too bad there aren't any good images of this panel where you can see more of the lower part on that side; the only ones we've ever seen show the panel (and the bottom row of red buttons) looking at the other side.

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 05, 2016, 01:34 pm #89 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2016, 01:48 pm by warmcanofcoke
I'm certain that there were far fewer panels than you think. There was a Desk, there was a panel that started with a series of Orange rectangle buttons, there was a panel that had Blue rectangle buttons at the top and there was a cardboard panel with painted circles. The Prop guys didn't have enough money or time to build a full set - when a new panel appears in an episode I think part of the budget for that episode went to making it.