Apr 19, 2024, 08:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Top Sign Reference

Started by Scarfwearer, May 14, 2009, 03:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 03, 2012, 04:56 am #30 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 05:08 am by galacticprobe
Great signs! Are these links going to be added to those in the table back on Page 1 of this thread? So far all we have in there are the Top Sign PDFs for the Brachacki (and Altered) and the Richmond/Thomas (2005) versions.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DeductiblyBonkers

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 03, 2012, 04:56 am
Great signs! Are these links going to be added to those in here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=305 ? So far all we have in that section are the Top Sign PDFs for the Brachacki (and Altered) and the Richmond/Thomas (2005) versions.

Dino.

Scarf's more than welcome to add them if he wants. ;)

deck5

Quote from: Pepsiman98 on Apr 03, 2012, 05:24 am
carf's more than welcome to add them if he wants. ;)

Added.  Let me know if I got it right.

DeductiblyBonkers

Quote from: deck5 on Apr 03, 2012, 06:14 am
Added.  Let me know if I got it right.

Everything seems to be in order, Deck. Thanks. ;D

Scarfwearer

Cheers guys! Been travelling, so glad to see this already sorted on my return. :)

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

They're aren't too far off.  I think they might be slightly bolder than the originals.  One thing to keep in mind about the PDFs is that sign makers like the fonts done in a vector format instead of pixel-based.  It's the vector shapes that the machines follow to make the cut-outs in the vinyl prior to adhering to the perspex.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Apr 05, 2012, 12:42 am #37 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 12:44 am by galacticprobe
The best thing to do is check with the sign maker. Some sites I've been to (at least a few years ago looking for signs for my living history group's equipment trailer) used to say they wanted images/files in either vector format, and would also take PDFs. Some makers just wanted the vector format. (Those makers who wanted only vector format would accept the PDFs, but then convert them to vector format at an added cost.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

thor2015

Call-Box.jpg

Here is my attempt at a Brachaki sign. I used the "Keep Calm" font. This was a quick proof of concept, but if you guys think this sign is worth having on the forum I can tweak dimensions to make the spacings more screen accurate.Call-Box.jpg

thor2015

BTW, I can put these in vector format and post if anyone wants to make signs out of these.

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2012, 06:59 pm #40 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 07:00 pm by galacticprobe
I think they're great!  If you could get them to the correct size (or as correct as possible with the guesstimates of size we've come up with) you could make PFDs of them (maybe as well as vectors) and post links to them. At least that way people would have options of either format, depending on what the sign-maker wants.

You did a fabulous job on these (and the Hartnell Brachacki is my most favorite version). ;D

Dino.

deck5

Apr 15, 2012, 07:13 pm #41 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 07:13 pm by deck5
Not bad.  Here's mine scaled to the same font size, if it's of any use as a reference.  I took some care to match the placement of each letter against the original.

Mine:

myhartnell.jpg

Yours:

Call-Box.jpg

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2012, 07:25 pm #42 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 07:25 pm by galacticprobe
Oh... sorry, Deck. I'd completely forgotten that you'd done one of these. :-[ (But then that's normal for me these days; I forget a lot of things. Always had memory problems, but my pain meds have made it a little worse. Your sign already looks great!)

Dino.

deck5

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 15, 2012, 07:25 pm
Oh... sorry, Deck. I'd completely forgotten that you'd done one of these.

There's always room for more! :)

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2012, 07:31 pm #44 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2012, 07:31 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: deck5 on Apr 15, 2012, 07:28 pm
There's always room for more! :)

I guess you're right. What was it MTV used as their catch phrase when they first came out in the early '80s? Something like "Too much is never enough!"

Dino.