Apr 20, 2024, 10:04 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

HELP- Making a Steampunk Sonic

Started by thatenglishchap, Jul 31, 2011, 01:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thatenglishchap

Jul 31, 2011, 01:36 pm Last Edit: Jul 31, 2011, 02:24 pm by Scarfwearer
Okay, so I'm new, and I'm not fantastically good with metalworking- Most of the craftwork I do revolves around making wands or staffs, but I've always wanted to make a Sonic Screwdriver. After scouring local junk people, I found some nice little bits and pieces that fit one of the designs I came up with.

Here's what I've managed so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spellchecked/5993758990/

I've cannibalised a Glass Cutter and a Spark Plug, using the cutter to form the handle and the plug to form the emitter- but it still needs fine tuning.

For example, I need to actually weld/solder the two together, and I'm not sure how to do that, any suggestions?

(Also, I suck at figuring out how to get the darned photo to just show up on here)

5993758990_1f1a8e4021_z.jpg

MOD EDIT: I included the flickr photo here from the Medium version.
Think about me when you're living your life one day after another, all in a neat pattern. Think about the homeless traveller in his old police box, his days like crazy paving.

-The Seventh Doctor

Scarfwearer

It should be possible to use a glue to attach the parts - which may be easier than welding. Probably someone else here would have a more specific recommendation. It's usually important to clean the surfaces to be joined well - e.g. with alcohol before joining.

You've got a build going here already, so I've moved this to the gadget build diaries board. :)

Welcome aboard!

Crispin

merry

There's a product called JB Weld that you can find in the plumber's section that makes a strong bond between metals.  (Actually it works between metal and wood as well).  It's a clay epoxy and stinks like crazy when you combine the parts so we only use it outside.  It has a short work time window, so have everything set and ready to go if you use it.  It can be sanded (with work) and like I said, holds really well.

the_temporal_mechanic

merry is right with the jb weld. I use it a lot for projectile this. holds well and is workable like metal when finished.

greatwazoo42

I use JB Weld for most of my prop replica and kit builds and also for repairs around the house.  It is very strong stuff. 

I recommend using a waxed paper plate and plastic disposable fork to mix the two halves of the epoxy into a uniform material and then use one of the fork's tines to spread it where you want it to go.  It does NOT dry clear or invisibly so you'll need to make sure you get it in places where it cannot be seen and wipe off the excess with an old sock or a rag immediatly.  It should be allowed to dry overnight so be prepared to immobilize the parts your working on someplace safe from pets, small children and clumsy flatmates.

deck5

Household Goop is a clear, strong glue that bonds everything to everything.  One benefit is that although it's very strong, you can conceivably get things apart that have been glued with it, albeit with a lot of effort.  I use it to build a lot of small projects.