News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Inside the Season 14 Plinth

Started by Rassilons Rod, Jul 19, 2011, 02:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Jul 21, 2011, 02:33 pm #15 Last Edit: Jul 21, 2011, 02:34 pm by Kingpin
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 21, 2011, 05:29 am
Oh, really nice pun there! You couldn't have done better if you'd planned it! ;D

Dino,

Good catch, Dino.  I hadn't even realised I'd managed to make a pun until you pointed it out.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: celation on Jul 21, 2011, 11:21 am
Quote from: handofomega on Jul 20, 2011, 07:43 pm
In one of my various Doctor WHO zines I bought years ago it talks about the secondary console and the it's domed central column.  I believe that there was some sort of brass clockwork mechanism that was supposed to spin inside it.  Also the whole assembly was supposed to rise out of an iris at the top of the console.  I know that the reason for not doing it was money related. ;D

That would have been so darn cool. Such a shame. Perhaps Scarfwearer could put us out of our misery on this front... :)

Well don't hold your breath!  :D I've been talking about building a season 14 console since 2007:

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Feb 13, 2007, 12:42 pm

S'funny, by coincidence  I was just browsing through this thread again yesterday and pondering....

Crispin

It took me 2 years even to get started... and another 2 years to get a mostly done outside.
It may be a few more years yet. Though possibly sooner... You know how it is.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Should I point out that to me the shadow edge looks straight? Therefore making a hexagonal hole, not a circular one...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 22, 2011, 05:45 am #18 Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011, 05:51 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Kingpin on Jul 21, 2011, 02:33 pm
Good catch, Dino.  I hadn't even realised I'd managed to make a pun until you pointed it out.

Those are the best ones, Kingpin!

And, Marc: I took another look at that photo and the straight shadow edge you're seeing I think is caused by the outer edges of the base, rather than the inside opening. Remember, that console is raised on round ball feet and the base extends several inches beyond the walls of the plinth, so the light that's falling under the console will be shadowed by the base's outside edge, which is straight. If you look above the shadow you can clearly see the inside of the base has a large round opening cut into it. The curve is quite obvious and since this is inside the walls of the plinth it couldn't cast any shadows on the floor unless there was a light source inside the plinth, and near the top (which obviously by the darkness inside, there isn't).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.