Apr 20, 2024, 08:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BBC Plans for the SIDRAT

Started by the doctor who2, Dec 16, 2010, 04:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 17, 2010, 04:20 pm #15 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 04:23 pm by galacticprobe
They certainly look good on a Type-55! (Only the Type-55 is a bit on the silver side, and its stripes are black.) Sleek and silver with black "racing stripes"... now that does sound like a great Type-55!

(Type55Tardis, are you still with us?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type55tardis

Jan 21, 2011, 11:03 am #16 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011, 11:05 am by type55tardis
Hi Dino, yes I`m still here and thanks for the compliment on the T55,I thought of the black stripes as racing stripes too LoL ,but the real reason is that they hide the gap around the door closure  ;) a bit of visual jiggery pokery , I only wish I`d had the Sidrat plans when i built the T55 it would have made things a bit easier (or is it harder LoL)
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

BeeblePete

Nov 14, 2011, 11:36 am #17 Last Edit: Oct 18, 2013, 11:40 am by petertheta
Because I wanted these shapes for a virtual build, I've done this drawing in vector art based on the BBC plans. Let me know if I've cocked something up!

- Pete

Latest update: wheel detail and various tidying

SIDRAT and TARDIS Capsules.png

galacticprobe

Nov 15, 2011, 06:49 am #18 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011, 06:51 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Talk about the fine print! I never thought I'd see my name on anyone's draft of anything before, yet there I am in the lower left corner! ;D ;D ;D (See? It pays to scrutinize.)

Imprinted on a diagram for all posterior. Yup: that's me!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BeeblePete

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 15, 2011, 06:49 am
Imprinted on a diagram for all posterior. Yup: that's me!

Those two bits show how the SIDRAT plans are effectively TARDIS plans so I figured it was best to just drop 'em in and hope :-)

- Pete

galacticprobe

Nov 15, 2011, 06:54 pm #20 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011, 06:56 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: the doctor who2 on Dec 17, 2010, 11:38 am
Picture21.jpg
They must have used this design as the base and just adjusted certain points to make them different.  :)

Looking again at the photos posted by the doctor who2 (besides the paint job and stripes) I noticed there is a difference in the door height between the SIDRAT and the "blank" TARDIS; the SIDRAT's door is taller than the TARDIS's.

It could be another thing they did to make the two models appear different, as the doctor who2 suggested in his post. (The photo is much larger in the original post, which is on the first page of this thread, and may give more detail.)

Dino.

elkad

Feb 25, 2016, 03:52 am #21 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016, 11:12 pm by elkad
I had a hard time reading the text written, so I enlarged the image & made the text more readable. Let me know if I had gotten any details incorrect. The symbol (") is inches & (') is feet yes?

Picture1 edit 02.jpg

tony farrell

Feb 25, 2016, 09:31 am #22 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 09:34 am by Tony Farrell
Yes Elkad - " = inches and ' = feet!

Just be glad that the UK no longer has chains, furlongs, shillings, pennies, sixpenny, thrupenny and ha'penny bits as well as farthings, half-crowns, crowns, sovereigns and guineas!  ;)

T

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2016, 07:04 pm #23 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 07:04 pm by galacticprobe
You did a great job on that, elkad! I like the addition of color into the plans, although looking at the grab from the story, it looks like the side edges of the sliding door are painted silver; they're much brighter than the rest of the door - even a little brighter than the "Ford Tractor Grey" stripes. Other than that, brilliant!

Dino.

elkad

I forgot about that, It did say thin or flat aluminum strip on the side of the doors. It even says it in the Special Materials space on the side of the diagram.  ;D
I guess I got to into to trying to figure what the text was saying & missed that.

galacticprobe

Feb 25, 2016, 10:30 pm #25 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 10:30 pm by galacticprobe
Hey, I look at it this way... you were dealing with a serious load of information that you were trying to transcribe into something more legible, coupled with all sorts of notes, lines, drawings, etc. In a world like that somethings are bound to slip through. That's why we've got each others' backs, to help double check things and make sure we end up with the most accurate references this side of Gallifrey!

Dino.

elkad