Apr 25, 2024, 09:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Model AARU Tardis build

Started by lorisarvendu, Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 pm Last Edit: Jul 05, 2018, 01:38 pm by lorisarvendu
Well I reckon I've got a decent enough set of plans to make a close approximation of a Dalek Movie/Cushing/AARU/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it model.

EDIT: [2018 - the material I use is 1.5mm or 2mm thick mounting card, bought from an art shop.  The fresnel was cut with a lathe from a clear perspex rod.  It was cut years ago by a technician where I work, along with several others that I have been using over the years]

My plans take up a whole A4 sheet, so it'll stand about 11 and a half inches tall (about 29cm), and I've got my friend in the University workshop to run me off another little acrylic fresnel, so here goes.

This will either end up looking excellent, or like nothing on God's Earth.

Four sides done first, window frames and panels in, and a coat of primer on the windows.  Later tonight I'll do a coat of white acrylic.  I'm toying with the idea of making the windows completely transparent and painting the inside of the box white...just like in the movies, though I'm not sure if I can get away with leaving out some of the internal supports.

Cush02.JPG

geminitimelord

You have such a talent for the Small TARDIS and it seems you just love to build them. If you want make one of my slightly off Hartnell Build and send it to me LOL....

lorisarvendu

Thanks for the compliment!  You know I really do like building them.  For all the grief and hassle when it doesn't quite go right, I'm never happier than when I've got a TARDIS on the go!  I'd love one out in the garden and I'm so jealous of you guys who've actually built one.  That's something I could never do as I don't know the first thing about woodwork. But at least with models I can have as many different versions as the wife will allow!

I have actually made models for other people, so doing you a Hartnell build is not quite so far-fetched (especially since I've now got a temporary source of mini-fresnel lamp models...so long as I don't wear out the good will). 

Except there's no way I'd ever trust one to the post - they're too fragile.  Now if you were ever planning a visit to the UK...   ;D

By the way, I hope you sort out your sign-box grief.  I really like your Brachaki box, and love the way it looks out in your garden.

-Dave

Rassilons Rod

Two words: Flat Pack ;)

And it's at this point I have to don my administrator hat for a moment. Remember "No commissions", guys ;)

That said, you guys have had a long standing reputation on this forum and I know you know the rule, so I'm
saying it as much for other readers as anything else :)

Superb models here!

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lorisarvendu

OK, I'm starting to put the box together now.  I've decided to let the light all through the windows (like in the movies).  Although you won't see much detail 'cos I'm not using clear plastic, you should get a sense of the white interior.  So I've made the inside a bit neater than usual.

Cush03.JPG

Looks good with the light behind it.

Cush04.JPG

lorisarvendu

Jun 22, 2011, 10:31 pm #5 Last Edit: Jun 23, 2011, 07:32 am by lorisarvendu
Blimey!  It's well fat!

Cush05.jpg

And just to remind me what I'm aiming for...

DIE2150-07.jpg

geminitimelord

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jun 22, 2011, 07:22 am

And it's at this point I have to don my administrator hat for a moment. Remember "No commissions", guys ;)

That said, you guys have had a long standing reputation on this forum and I know you know the rule, so I'm

Superb models here

-Marc

LOL I wasnt looking to commission one. I just could see the fine chap has complete enjoyment doing the builds. Figured if he got bored and needed a reason, helping a fellow TARDIS builder with a dream would be a NOBLE gesture :)  But a build not a Brachacki copy but from the photos with my box errors I.E, the cladding is too wide, posts too narrow, Sign boxes stick out a little more.

Now flat pack would work, actually non painted so I could assemble and paint with the same blue I used for my build.  Now of course this was only a suggestion........... COUGH COUGH...

Rassilons Rod

I know mate, you've been here long enough to know how it all works :P

No, this was for anyone else who might read to keep things clear and above board :)

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jun 23, 2011, 05:55 pm
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jun 22, 2011, 07:22 am

Superb models here

-Marc

LOL I wasnt looking to commission one. I just could see the fine chap has complete enjoyment doing the builds. Figured if he got bored and needed a reason, helping a fellow TARDIS builder with a dream would be a NOBLE gesture :)  But a build not a Brachacki copy but from the photos with my box errors I.E, the cladding is too wide, posts too narrow, Sign boxes stick out a little more.

Now flat pack would work, actually non painted so I could assemble and paint with the same blue I used for my build.  Now of course this was only a suggestion........... COUGH COUGH...

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lorisarvendu

Tidy little fresnel-type lamp for the roof.

Cush08.JPG

lorisarvendu

This is different to my previous model builds.  In those cases I knew what the finished product would look like, but with this one...well, OK so I've created some plans that I'm happy with, but there are a lot of dimensions that aren't in the plans that I basically have to refine and "make up" as I go along.  Like the corner posts.  I've decided they look thicker in all the screen shots, so that translates to an extra layer of card in the model.

Cush09.JPG

To be honest (and this would sound really sad outside of this forum) I'm really excited about this build, because like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, I really don't know what I'm going to get!

lorisarvendu

I'm really pleased with this so far.  I thought the corner posts had gone a bit arse at one point, but overall I don't think I'm too far off the mark

Cush11.jpg

the_doctor

lorisarvendu

Now that I've got a reasonably completed model I can compare them side by side, and to be honest I can now see differences.  My model is wider (although that could be perspective).  Plus the panels look less rectangular than the prop (again, could be perspective).  But I also think my roof stacks could do with being taller.  Now that's actually the one thing I can do something about at this stage - I can slice off the stacks and make new ones. 

What does anyone else think?  Roof redesign?

SidebySide.jpg

lorisarvendu

Steps above doors.  Done with thinner (0.5mm) card.

Cush12.jpg

lorisarvendu

Been a disgustingly hot day today, so we've stayed inside during the worst of it.  And I've done some more work on the model. I wasn't happy with the width of the corner posts, so I took of the top layer of card and replaced it with a slightly wider one.  It improves the overall look I think. 
Cush13.JPG

The sign boxes are now on, and I've decided on which side will be the "front", and built up the phone sign.  Looking at stills from the 2nd film, it appears to have a raised frame around it, which is really weird.  But if that's how it is, then that's how it is.  Can't wait to start painting!

Cush14.JPG