Apr 16, 2024, 08:19 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

K9s Neck ??

Started by Oblivion, Jun 18, 2011, 03:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

Jun 18, 2011, 03:27 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 06:40 pm by Scarfwearer
What exactly is K9s neck made of, I mean what's it called ?  I've searched high and low for the stuff and can't locate it anywhere >:( I'm in the middle of restoring a beat up old one I bought recently, and the neck is a mess. It's some sore of 5" flexi conduit pipe, but I can't find anything that even looks close to it, and especially not that width !! HELP PLEASE :-\
Hampshire UK

lswl

Try the piping used on the part of gutters where they hit the ground, it looks similiar

Oblivion

Jun 18, 2011, 05:48 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 04:18 am by warmcanofcoke
Mmmm, but this stuff is nearly 5" wide ! It's filled with expanding foam in the image but it a heck of a large piece of pipe  ::)

22kyhf.jpg
Hampshire UK

Scarfwearer

There are a couple of threads on WhoProps that may help:

Neck Size

Neck Hose

I gather the original hose was an air intake hose from some model of tractor, but I haven't found a reference for that.

Crispin

DoctorWho8

I thought Purple found a supplier who still had the same material used to make K-9's neck piece back in '77.  He found some while making a couple of K-9's a few years ago.  I wonder if he still has any info.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

DoctorWho8

Got word back from Purple. He got the material through his wife's work in the automotive industry. It was done via one of her company's clients' subsidiaries who did make the original. The company no-longer exists since about three years ago.  Purple still has one more left, and is considering making a mould from it, but the material used for the replicas won't be the same.

I did ask if he could make some measurements that would allow people to either hand-replicate, CNC or 3D-print their own out of flexible material.  I'll see what he thinks of that.

So, best thing to know is this was some sort of automotive part that dates back to the 70's and until 3 years ago.  Maybe they might have them linger around somewhere on ebay.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

meantimebob

Wasn't it something to do with tractors? Or did I imagine that?

I have seen something extremely similar on the chairs at my barber, surrounding the uppy downy part beneath the seat (I'm so technical) so something like that might be good to search for.

meantimebob

Something like this would be pretty good, not totally accurate but better than those extractor hoses. Unfortunately I have no idea how big or small this thing is, so it might be completely useless.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMC-Cobra-Outdrive-Rubber-Transom-Seal-Exhaust-Bellow-/330573087864?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4cf7b10478#ht_500wt_916

Oblivion

Thanks, all things considered I've decided to put a bit of extra work in an simply restore the original neck I have.
Hampshire UK