Apr 16, 2024, 07:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Classic Style Fan Video Console

Started by lespaceplie, Jun 06, 2011, 02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Jun 06, 2011, 02:47 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2011, 08:24 pm by Scarfwearer
It's rather early in the process, but I couldn't help sharing the rough sketch that finally resonated with me. I'm resuming work on a long, long overdue fan video project. The idea is to capture the overall look and feel of the classic series. A design pastiche is permissible, but I'd rather evoke the past than create a mish-mash.

This sketch represents a console that I think looks feasible. There are some hints at practically every previous version with some new elements as well. It would be a little smaller than the Brachaki but larger than the TVM. More to come...

console.jpg

lespaceplie

Jun 06, 2011, 09:49 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2011, 02:58 pm by lespaceplie
The pale orange area is the size of the typical 1970s configuration. Though shorter, the edge of the fan vid console's control panels is at 30 inches, which should still look fine unless the actors are rather tall. The overall diameter is 80 inches.

console3.jpg

celation

Lovely design this - I really like it.

I'd love to see some more details of the panels...

lespaceplie

Jun 07, 2011, 08:32 pm #3 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 12:27 am by lespaceplie
The layout is more or less a simplified version of how things appear in S13/15-20 (but with the pentagonal distress lamp from the later console). The light grey areas are thin raised panels. The darker areas are recessed cut-outs that will be illuminated or video displays. In terms of a fan video, this means more to animate but less to build. Nonetheless, an appropriate assortment of switches and levers are to be added later.

console4.jpg

handofomega

Might try my hand at making a version of this in Sketch-Up!  Very nice design!!! ;D

lespaceplie

There are some drawings left to do in order to explain how the section around the rotor is done. It's essentially a translucent blue panel with grooves in it. The cylinder has a metal collar around it. The cylinder doesn't move, but the rotor's rings do rise and fall. The 3 center tubes rotate plus rise and fall independently of the rings.

handofomega

Not sure of your measurements for the console but I think I do understand your concepts about the rotor.  Sketch-Up isn't photo perfect but I think I could knock something together in a couple of hours.

lespaceplie

I'll make a card model pretty soon, but here are some measurements for anyone who wants to model it. I'd be well pleased!

console5.jpg

greatwazoo42

Very impressive design.  I'm looking forward to the progress on this as it goes from great idea to beautiful prop.  Thanks for posting it and please keep us updated.

type_1012_tardis

Cool!
Always nice to see new ideas, especially when it's based on an old design.
Looking forward to how this comes along!

end of l
I don't suppose you have any specific model # for it, do you?

end of line (for reals this time)
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

lespaceplie

Jun 11, 2011, 02:21 pm #10 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2011, 08:21 pm by Scarfwearer
EDIT:
A couple of new topics split out:
[ref topic=2922]Invadrzim's Lespaceplie console[/ref]
[ref topic=2923]HandofOmega's Lespaceplie Console[/ref]
---

You're all a kind and creative bunch! I love that you've been rendering my design. At this point I consider you co-developers. It's really sustaining my energy on the project. I'll have to get busy.

lespaceplie

Amazing work, people!

Also, a note to the mods:

Though people are creating virtual builds of this one, the project is for an actual, working prop. I will create an appropriate thread once some actual construction happens, but it might be good to reclassify this one as soon as I start the scale model.

Scarfwearer

Certainly I'd recommend making another topic for the actual build (you probably noticed that I moved this one to the virtual builds section).
A 'build' on the forum that you might think of as a single build could end up with as many as four topics: a virtual render for planning purposes, an actual build in wood/metal/whatever, and a gallery topic for the finished glamour shots. If you make a scale model for prototyping purposes that would go in the model builds area. We separate these because they involve very different tools and techniques, are often an end in themselves, and most often interest different groups of people.
Normally we'll link the separate topics together in the topic description, and of course they're all directly reachable from your avatar and profile.

Invadrzim's and HandOfOmega's renders certainly qualify as virtual builds in their own right, and I would be happiest to split them off into their own topics, though I've been trying to stay out of the way as events unfold... :)

Crispin

invadrzim

oh, sorry Scarfwearer, i was just havin a fun time making  lespaceplie's console that didnt even occur to me. id be fine with being split off into another topic of my own, or i could make a new thread if you like

Scarfwearer

No problem! I've split out a couple of new topics, and added some links so you can find them easily. Hope this helps.

Crispin