New, New TardisBuilders!

Dino's Costumes

Started by galacticprobe, Jun 02, 2011, 05:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jun 02, 2011, 05:46 am Last Edit: Aug 22, 2012, 06:27 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: geminitimelord on Jun 02, 2011, 03:12 am
Wear a 6th doctor costume if you really want to turn some heads LOL

So Dino, I am sure it has been said before but do you have photos on here of you in these Outfits?

Scott, I don't have any photos of the 1st or 2nd Doctors' outfits that would provide the details people are looking for; the 1st Doctor's are long shots of my wife and I in the front garden as we were heading out for a concert. (You've seen one of my Eleven outfits in the Baltimore Otakon photos I posted after last year's Con.) I've searched the Forum for that post using every combo of Otakon, Baltimore, Anime, Convention... I could think of, but I can't find that post to post the link to it here. I can at least post some photos of my Eleven from that Con tomorrow (they're on the other computer: figures).

I intended to take some good photos of my other outfits with my son's good camera, and after his years of "failure to launch" he's finally launched and taken his camera with him. (He's not that far away, though, so I can hound him until he gets his camera over here... or until my wife finds our camera that our tornado-son managed to lose somewhere in the house during his flinging things about while launching.)

I need to get my seamstress photos of them for her portfolio anyway, and I'm long overdue for that. I'll see if I can't get my 1st and 2nd Doctor outfits photoed and posted soon, since they were made. The other outfits I found the pieces for:

9th Doctor:
-V-neck jumpers - Merona light-weight cotton in Maroon, Dark Blue, Purple, and Black at Target (still haven't found the right color for that elusive green one with the small collar and seam down its front, or a way to make that seam and the collar once I do find one of the right color); black trousers at Macy's; black ankle boots at Sears ($39.95 US, with the steel toe for those overcrowded dealers' rooms!); leather 'U-Boat Captain' jacket from Hollywood Jackets.

11th Doctor:
-Tweed jackets for less than $40 US each on ebay (one in the style of "Victory of the Daleks", "Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone", which is what I wore to Otakon; one brown Donegal tweed, his standard Series 5 jacket; one very close-enough Series 6 Jacket); longer black trousers (for cuffing) at Macy's (and a dark grey pair since he also wears those as well), and a pair of black Levi's Skinny Jeans at Target; boots (recycled from 9th Doctor until I can find better ones); striped shirts in pinkish-burgundy-ish (worn at Otakon) from Kohl's, blue striped from Target, and a windowpane pattern from Series 6 Christmas Special and "The Doctor's Wife" also from Macy's; braces (25mm) in Navy and Burgundy from Swagger and Swoon (EXACT matches for his, right down to the white undersides and the triangular slider on the back! NOTE: in their wider width and red, they make EXACT 7th Doctor braces); bow ties - all pre-tied, banded collar from solidcolorneckties.com (maroon) and shoptieoneon.com (navy blue).

My polka-dot tie for my 2nd Doctor outfit came from beautiesltd.com - the one they called 'Blenheim' Churchill inspired. And I've got several versions of the trousers (depending on the photo of the episode - the houndstooth versions - that I found in thrift stores, where I also found my 1st Doctor trousers). The 1st Doctor shirt is simply a white, wingtip collar tux shirt, and for his drooping-bow-knot tie I simply bought a long length of black satin-like ribbon at a fabric store.

That's the info for anyone looking to put those outfits together. For the details on the 1st and 2nd Doctors' jackets, I'll try to get those photos taken and posted very soon. Like I said, I'm late getting them to my seamstress anyway. And I do forget things, so, Scott this one is for you: Prod me if you haven't seen anything within a week or so! And tomorrow if I still can't find the link to my Otakon post, then I'll post a photo or two of me in my 11th Doctor outfit.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

celation

Can I put in an additional request to see the 1st and 2nd Doctor outfits - very interested!

Cheers,
C.

lswl

I want to see the first doctor costume!

greatwazoo42

galacticprobe

Jun 02, 2011, 11:16 pm #4 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2011, 11:50 am by Scarfwearer
Never before have I been in such popular demand (unless you count the times I was a kid, running down the long hallway for my room, with my mother in hot pursuit and waving a large, blunt object while shouting curses at me - but that's a story for another day).

Yes: the 1st and 2nd Doctor suits are the ones I need to have my picture taken in and the ones I was planning to post, especially since the 1st Doctor's suit on display at the Doctor Who Experience is based on the one the late Richard Hurndall wore as the 1st Doctor in "The Five Doctors" rather than on William Hartnell's actual costume. (And I figure if I could sketch up a reasonable facsimile of his coat from screen grabs and have a seamstress recreate it from those, then the people who made that dislay for the Experience could have done as well.)

The 2nd Doctor's costume on display is pretty close. It's hard to see how they did the pockets on that coat, and it took some doing to get the pockets on my coat to look like they did during Troughton's tenure, but that one I would say is well done. (My shirt is based on the blue version Troughton wore in "The Three Doctors". I intend to have a second shirt made, the greyish one with the short sleeves as seen in the end of "The Dominators" and beginning of "The Mind Robber", one of these days.)

I will try to get those photos posted very soon (once they're taken, that is) and Scott will be prodding me if a week goes by and nothing appears yet.

But for now, since I still can't find my original Otakon post (and I'm on the other computer), here are just a few photos of my 11th Doctor suit:

Eleven-ElevenMop(small).jpg
Me (in burgundy version with "Victory of the Daleks", "The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone" tweed) next to a blue version with fez and mop. (My wife had to get a photo like that. And I know the mustache isn't exactly right, but the wife wouldn't let me shave it.)

Ten-Eleven-K9(02)small.jpg
Me with a Ten and a really cool K9. (I took the glasses off for this one.) And yes, both sonics are glowing. (The guy in the background pointing was supposed to be a "Three Doctors" version of the 2nd Doctor.)

IwoTARDISmop(small).jpg
Couldn't resist posting this one. (Note the 3rd Doctor on the right.) Someone got a crazy idea to have all of the Elevens do the "Iwo Jima" pose with a mop and the small TARDIS. What the heck? GERONIMO!

GroupShot03(small).jpg
And one group shot just so you can see how many "Who" people were there, and we couldn't even fit them all in frame there were so many!

So that's it for my Eleven suit. When I have another chance to wear an Eleven suit someplace I wear a different version and post those photos as well.

I should note that my 9th Doctor hair is a result of me still being on active military duty at the time of this Otakon. I officially retired this past February 1st at 29 years (before they medically kicked me out), and now I've got more of Season 18 Tom Baker curly bush-head going, as well as a full beard. This could come in handy for the bearded 11th Doctor look from the beginning of "Day of the Moon", especially if I can get my hair to go straight for a while.

Anyway, stand by for more photos: 1st and 2nd Doctors' suits coming soon...
Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

greatwazoo42

LOL!  BRAVO!  Bravo Dino!  More!  More!!!   ;D ;D ;D

lswl

Quote from: greatwazoo42 on Jun 03, 2011, 02:03 pm
LOL!  BRAVO!  Bravo Dino!  More!  More!!!   ;D ;D ;D

ditto er uh dino

galacticprobe

Jun 04, 2011, 07:38 am #7 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2011, 07:56 am by galacticprobe
OK! I really glad you all love those photos. (It was fun posing for them, if not a little painful for me at the time. I really wish I was able to lose the cane for some of them.)

Let me dig up a few more Otakon photos. I'll post them while I'm working on getting my 1st and 2nd Doctor photos done. Once again I'll post them later when I'm on the other computer. Still have to transfer those photos to this one, but hey; at least this give me some exercise - hobbling from one room to another to go from one computer to another.

Dino.

galacticprobe

Jun 05, 2011, 05:15 am #8 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2011, 05:15 am by galacticprobe
Sorry I didn't get any more photos posted today. Unexpected medical visit got in the way. I'll get another Otakon photo or two up tomorrow.

Dino.

galacticprobe

Jun 05, 2011, 10:59 pm #9 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2011, 11:23 pm by galacticprobe
OK... here are a few more Otakon photos, as promised:

GroupShot02(small).jpg
Here's one to continue the wrap-around shot from above, showing the other Doctors and companions that were there (and that Human-Dalek hybrid gone waaay wrong!). And just behind the 3rd Doctor is a (cute) Human-TARDIS hybrid.

Four-TenDoll(small).jpg
Here's a "Femme Four" (there were a few) with her David Tennant 10th Doctor doll.

TheFive(small).jpg
Here's a 5th Doctor. A 7th Doctor is behind him on the steps; he headed off before the wife could get a photo of him.

TenDoll(small).jpg
And just to give equal time, here's a full-on photo of the 10th Doctor doll just to show the talent some of these people had with creating costumes: no matter your size, they can fit a 'Doctor Who' costume to you!

That about covers the Otakon photos. Sadly there were no 1st or 6th Doctors there. (And I had considered wearing my 1st Doctor's suit. Darn!)

Just for giggles I'd include a photo of "The Evil One" (wearing a look that could scare an Angel), but paraphrasing as the saying goes, "That which holds the image of 'The Evil One' becomes itself 'The Evil One'!"

I'm still hopeful of having my 1st and 2nd Doctor suit photos up within the next few days. More then!

Dino.

galacticprobe

Nov 06, 2011, 06:42 am #10 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2011, 07:08 am by galacticprobe
Well, the wife decided to give me some good exercise this weekend by hitting the local Nekocon Amine Convention. (She bought the reduced-price advance admission tickets back in June and didn't want to see them go to waste, especially since she saved for so long to be able to pay for them.)

Anyway, for some reason there wasn't much of a 'Who' presence this year (at least not on Saturday, the main day, when you'd expect to see them). However, we did spot one Amy Pond in the red plaid shirt (I forget which episode she wore that one in). She was a bit more brutal than the actual Amy for as she breezed by us, before we could ask if we could snap a photo, she bellowed to her lagging companions to "Hurry the <BLEEP!> up!" I just mumbled to the wife, "Nice mouth, Pond" and we let her go.

We did, however, see a great River Song, and she agreed to let the wife take a snap of her with me. Since I've expanded my Eleven wardrobe (which is easy when you spot the right sales) I was in my bearded Eleven from the start of "Day of the Moon", after just having escaped the dwarf star alloy prison cube and materialised not far from the Apollo 11 launch pad. (Yeah, I really let my hair go since retiring from the military!) It wasn't easy keeping that mop of hair in place as we had very gusty winds.

Anyway, here's a photo of the "You; me; sonics!" couple:
DocandRiver.jpg

It's not the sharpest photo, taken from my cell phone because we couldn't find any cameras in the entire house! So unfortunately you can't see the vertical stripes in my jacket (3-button closure), and you can barely see the stripes in my shirt which is the closest one I've seen to the one worn in the episode: greyish shirt with wide white stripes, and some thinner white stripes between the wide ones. And the bow tie is navy blue cotton as it should be (not silk or satin), and pre-tied. My braces are also hidden but are the same 25mm navy ones from Swagger and Swoon that I've been wearing, which are an exact match for Eleven's S5 braces. (Swagger and Swoon also have 25mm burgundy braces, and I think you can see me wearing them in the 2010 Otakon photos above.) The trousers are black Levi Skinny jeans, and my boots are the "unknown brown" boots he's worn in various episodes. (They were all I had to work with for now.)

Anyway, that's the latest update on my costumes. Once we find that camera, I intend to take those photos of my First and Second Doctor costumes (provided my back doesn't go out again and land me in a fourth surgery!).

We'll be back there on Sunday, so if we can find one of the cameras, and River is there again, we'll try to get a better photo. But so far this Con is 'Doctor Who' dry - only me as Eleven, this nice woman as River, and the aforementioned Pond - unlike in previous years when there were several Doctors from the Classic and New Series all over. (And yes; I was loaded with some extra pain meds for this because I had that third back surgery only a month ago, and my cane is hidden behind me.)

Dino.

ten

Nov 06, 2011, 08:10 am #11 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2011, 09:15 am by ten
Hey Dino, looking sharp, my man! ;D

Mind you. with the beard, perhaps a straight jacket would be a good option...  ;)

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2011, 05:20 am #12 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2011, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Hey, Ten! It's been a while! Funny you should mention about that straight jacket... my wife said the same thing! ??? (Are you guys trying to tell me something?) ;)

And referring to the Con, here's the final rundown:

Sunday was even less exciting than Saturday, so we didn't stay very long and even with just a phone camera there was nothing worth taking a photo of. (As The Evil One told her mother of a Con she attended recently, "I had my camera with me, however nothing at this convention compelled me to use it.") The 'Who' items were scarce in the Dealers' Room, unlike last year's where they had lots of 'Who' things to go gaga over. This time there were a few of the 9th/10th Doctor sonics, one or two of the 3rd Doctor sonics, but no 4th or 11th Doctor sonics, and no psychic containers (which is what I was hunting for, so it's back to ebay or Amazon to hunt for that). Most of what they were selling this year, as opposed to last year, was 90 percent mainstream anime and steam-punk stuff. Another 9 percent was that "Lolita" clothing. The last one percent was split between sword/knife/battle weapon dealers and the general SF items.

To console myself, though, I did pick up a near-exact replica of the goggles Eleven uses when he's working under the TARDIS console (or when Rory is wearing them, helping the Doctor rather than looking up through the glass floor at Amy). Only mine are silver rather than brass or copper. The brass/copper ones are really expensive - when you can find them, unless you get the cheap, uncomfortable-to-wear plastic versions. But the wife set the budget and said she could squeeze those out, and they're close enough for me. I was going to pass on them, but she said since she got something at the Con she wanted me to get something as well, and insisted. (As I've said before, never argue with a Type-102 Form War TARDIS!) And since the goggles are metal-framed maybe one day I'll have enough $$$ to get them copper or brass plated to make them more accurate. So now we watch the pennies until payday.

One thing that really disturbed me (and the wife) was the amount of cross-dressers at this Con. Seeing women dressed as male characters is nothing new: been seeing that for years, especially in the Whoniverse of "cosplay" with all of the Femme Doctors. But when the women-as-male characters are outnumbered by the men dressed as women characters - anime characters - it's unnerving. When you've got a 6-foot plus, thin as a rail guy wearing 6-inch "Frankenboots", with hairy legs, dressed as Sailor Moon... basically... RUN! I had one of those recognize me and comment sarcastically as the wife and I walked past "Huh... it's a Doctor Who" in a frighteningly deep voice for someone so tall and skinny (and dressed as what I think was a Sailor Scout in a skirt that was waaaay too short). So I couldn't resist. I stopped, pulled my sonic from my pocket, gave him the once over with it, flicked the sonic open and after examining the "readings" on it said, as the Doctor did after scanning the crack in the Byzantium, "Aah, that's extremely very not good." (His companions got a good chuckle out of it as we walked away.)

Last year's Nekocon was, okay, but this year's was a little less so. All in all, not too bad of a Con, but we're thinking that we might just start stashing some pennies aside for next summer's Otakon in Baltimore, or go searching for a different Con that's closer if we can find one.

Dino.

geminitimelord

Dino, you look like a 12 here not 11.......  WIth that wild hair and beard looks like you just regenerated LOL...

Now the wife is a very convincing River Song.   VERY.....

galacticprobe

Nov 08, 2011, 06:49 am #14 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2011, 06:59 am by galacticprobe
Scott, I had intended to be the bearded 11 after just landing nearby the Apollo 11 launch pad. I had gotten the hair brushed into shape about right, but it was so windy that day (25 mph, with gusts to 35 mph) that just hobbling in from the parking lot changed my hair from that version of 11 to the Einstein look! I tried to correct that, but the wind had destroyed it so I said, what the heck? (I'm thinking of going back to my Nine close-cropped cut, and then "wigging" it for other Doctors as needed. It may be easier that way. The beard stays, though, albeit it very trimmed when the time comes.) I just swore I wouldn't cut my hair for a full year after retiring from the military, and, well, it's been a year now. But you gotta admit, all of that hair helps hide the ugly! ;D

And I'm sure my wife would be flattered, but once again she was behind the camera! That River was just another cosplayer who was happy to see another Whovian and glad to pose for a photo. Like I said, this Nekocon was "Doctor Who dry" unlike in past years. This year there were only three of us: my 11, River, and a hyperdrive-powered Amy Pond (red plaid shirt version) with a rather foul mouth. When I thanked River for posing with me, she naturally replied, "You're welcome, Sweetie," and she had the voice down pat!

As for the wife, with the exception of the strawberry-blonde hair, my wife has more of an Idris body-build, and she's working on a Doctor's Wife costume as funds permit. (She's got a good start with the boots so far.) We're hoping to make it to Otakon in Baltimore this summer (late August, usually) and she's hoping to have her costume ready by then, again funding permitting. That Con is much larger and as you can see from my photos of the one we attended in 2010 there is a large Whovian presence there.

Dino.